I-20 form

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henna

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here require an I-20 form? Does anyone come into this catagory ? I need advice with that ...... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

go ahead, I will have one again for this coming fall. what is it that you would like to know?

thnx musikus (I hope you can help me ),
I got accepted at one of the dental schools the US (cali), Iam currently living in Canada , I've applied for a loan thru TERI ( which got processed). Now that school wants an affidavit of financial support before they can issue the I-20 form. They have this weird school policy ... they are not willing to take my loan ( from TERI ) as a statement of financial support & they want me to provide another affidavit of financial support , its a huge amt ( $ 76,000)without which they will not enroll me . :confused: .

Iam in such a fix .

Members don't see this ad :)
An I 20 is for customs and immigration. I think I went to a bank with my parents and had them get a letter saying that they could support me through school. Check into professional loans, I know royal bank has one if you are in the last year of a professional program, but am not sure about sooner.

yes, he is correct. A visa gets you through immigration, but the I-20 form allows you to stay in this country for your studies.
however, before a school can issue you the necessary forms for an I-20, they want proof that you can pay for your tuition.
Even though if you will not receive any aid from your parents you could still ask them for a simple statement that they will cover you for a certain amount. How you actually pay for it is then totally up to you. It is just the paperwork that needs to be completed.
If that is not an option for you, then try private loans. I would also ask again at your school why they do not accept the Teri info.
Do not just take no for an answer. Try to talk to somebody who is higher in the administration.
good luck!

HTH,
Daniel

Thnx for the advice musikus ,
I have another question ... Is a statement from my hubby enough ( stating that he will support me ) , or should we also show the funds to support that statement ?

sorry, I should have been more specific.
Each school has a piece of paper which needs to have a stamp from a bank that shows sufficient funds.

If your husband wants to support you, then he would need to get a stamp from his bank put on that paper. If your parents support you, then...you get the picture.

however, once again, this is just for the sake of paperwork that is involved. I would contact the school, tell them that you need the forms so that you can prove to them that you have sufficient funds from whereever they may come.
Once that is settled, then you will receive the I20-form. With that in hand you will then be able to obtain a visa through your consulate.

hope this helps a bit.
good luck!

Thanks a lot musikus. That's it for now .
( I'll have more questions later.. :) )

Hi again,
I was just told by this particular school that permanent residents of canada dont need to apply for I-20 forms or get f-1 visa. Is that true?
Thnx

Perplexed,
I'm from India, and I had to send a bank statement that my Dad has this amount of money in his account (which covered the first years school + living expenses) to get the I-20 from the school. I'm not sure how it applies to Canada.

After getting the I-20, I had to get another recent bank statement, a bank transaction record for 6 months (though this was optional), CA statement, property valuation statement, my parents' income statement, salary statemenet and such stuff for applying for the F-1 (student) visa. This is essentially what everyone does.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

Wing.

Thank you,WingThing. Looks like a lot of work . :(
Iam kinda confused now as one of the schools told me that 1-20 form was not required for permanent residents of Canada to study in the US.
I hope someone can throw some light on this.

Hi perplexed,

I believe that what you've been told is incorrect. As far as I know, Canadians need an F-1 visa, and in order to get one, you need an I-20 form from your school. If you don't have a visa, you'll be living in the states illegally.

Now that I've heard your story, though, I'm worried about getting the I-20 as well--I'm using TERI (CanHELP) too, so hopefully my school will allow that as proof of funding. They didn't seem to have a problem with it when I mentioned it during my interview. I don't know why any school wouldn't take it--it doesn't make sense to me. After you've been accepted and processed by TERI, your tuition and living expenses are guaranteed to be covered (according to your school's budget). That's terrible that your school won't recognize this. Is there any way, like musikus suggested, that you can talk to someone "higher up" and maybe get their policy changed?

Good luck to you.

solie,
Thnx for the info , I will call up the school again to varify it. Hey ..Did you check with your school to see if TERI loan is enough ? I think you should find out too.

•••quote:••• They didn't seem to have a problem with it when I mentioned it during my interview. ••••The same here,During the interview they didnt say a word abt it ..it'll only after I send in the deposit did they start off with this ..grrrr :mad: :mad: :mad: