I also have a dilemma

Started by frog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

frog

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What would the future be like after finishing path residency in a good community hospital? Would it be significantly dimmer than that of doing residency in a university prgram?

I am struggling between a good community based program in my area where my wife does not have to give up her own career and a university program somewhere else in the country whereby my wife has to make a (big) sacrifice.

I'd very much like to stay in my area unless it really limits my opportunities in the future if I do a residency in a community hospital.

Any advice is appreciated.
 
Welcome, frog!
kermit_48.jpg


I suppose the question is - what do you eventually want to do?

Do you want to continue at the community hospital, potentially go on to be made staff?
Or are you interested in working at a bigger centre in the future?

In the first instance, you may never have to move.
In the second, you won't move now - but may have to eventually anyway.
 
Depending on the hospital, a community program can be adequate. You will get much more exposure to cases at a university program and probably get overall better training but there are many pathologists out there who trained at community programs who do just fine.