I am Going for Surgical Interview in Dec. Can I wear a french Cuffs shirt+suit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohdsurgery

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I wear french cuff shirt with the suit for my interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why you couldn't. I also don't see why it would matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
The next logical questions is what cuff links are you wearing?

I'm planning on doing the same with French cuffs; what color shirt/ tie do you typically wear for interviews? I feel like my tie selection is where Im getting some dissension. Id like something with.... some... color but I'm told to blend in.

I've interviewed at three places so far and have donned the french cuffs each time. Twice I wore a contrast white collar/white cuff light blue shirt with a golden tie. I think the key is to look sharp but do what works for you without making yourself become that person they talk about in a bad sense- "One year we had a candidate wear_____" Blending in is also good. Just don't over or underdo whatever you wear.

I think being conservative matters more in the south (Vandy, Texas programs, UAB, Louisville, etc...) than it does on the coasts.

Id like something with.... some... color but I'm told to blend in.

Interview attire is not the place to make a statment. No one cares if you look good. The 50 year old, 50 lb overweight, twice divorced program director is not going to look at your tie and think, "Man, he looks sharp. I want him to match here." He might well think - "That's a stupid tie; don't know that he'll blend in/fit in/learn the ropes, etc."

In all likelihood, no one is going to care one way or another. But this is someplace you can only hurt yourself.

Get yourself a dark color suit, solid or very subtle patten. White or blue shirt. Conservative tie. Wearing anything other than the absolutely standard uniform is foolish.

I have heard countless stories from various residents and attendings about applicants whose file got thrown in the garbage for wearing "unique" clothing despite being very good applicants. Anything from a leather tie, to the wrong type of shoes.

The worst thing an applicant can do is something that makes a person in the program think, this guy/gal is wierd, be it your personal statement, suit, whatever.