i am lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherif

Hot stuff
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here is what i have to say. i was having plans to major in biology but then figured that it is basically science courses and not enough time to get any fun classes like i would like to take. i was thinking about computer science, cause i like it but i heard it is 5x harder than biology and now i am lost. i wish colleges just let you take courses that you wanted without having you get a degree. yaaaaaaa i am lost what should i do. Should i just do undecided or just do pick a major out of a hat. Any advice?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Pick a base kind of degree. Where are your interests? If you'd like to take a diverse degree I'd recommend something in the Arts. You've got more lenient requirements, and you've got more room for electives.

Dude! You've asked this same type of question about a hundred times over again. Read the responses I wrote you to your other questions.. jeez.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Sherif, *chill out*! You're still in high school, right? It'll be OK. Really. If you're thinking of med school, start out with a couple of pre-reqs. Take whatever electives you want. You probably won't have to declare a major until right before your junior year. Worrying now is a huge waste of energy.

I've noticed from your other posts that you are having a crisis over choosing a major....don't worry...

Well, choose a major you like. You've heard it before and you're hearing it again. It sounds repetitive, I know. But really, if you are studying what you love, it won't seem so hard. Now, as for your liking computer science, try it out! Take classes and don't listen to what ppl say about how hard a class/major is...it may be hard for them because they don't like it.

Maybe take some bio courses...or the other classes you've been wanting to take. I took all sorts of random courses and I think I changed my major approximately 732 times :D ...

Finally, I ended up not choosing at all but rather, extending my time at my undergrad and picking up a couple of degrees...

Hope that helps...and enjoy yourself as an undergrad! It's the last time you'll be able to take classes you want....

All my best,
BonBon

Originally posted by Sherif
i wish colleges just let you take courses that you wanted without having you get a degree. yaaaaaaa i am lost what should i do. Should i just do undecided or just do pick a major out of a hat. Any advice?:confused:

They do have a major for you. It's called Liberal Arts.

IMHO I say spend time taking classes YOU will enjoy along with the pre-reqs. I will not say I regret my UG major, I was interested all the way up into my senior year, but I ended up going back to school to persue my other educational interests b/c I was unable to in UG.

Follow SDN'ers advice.....relax.....take what you think interests you.....and move on from there. There are very few UGs who start off with a declared major freshman year and graduate with a degree in it within four years. I can not count the times people changed majors. My fiancee started in Comp. Science b/c he LOVED computers.....but could not get physics to save his life...so no more computer science.......but still ended up graduating in 5 years with a dual degree after two more major changes.

Oh yeah....you can change majors and still graduate within four years..... ;)

Originally posted by BonBon Doux
.....Take classes and don't listen to what ppl say about how hard a class/major is...it may be hard for them because they don't like it..........BonBon

This is so so true!!

Ever get those people in your class who are hanging on to every word the professor says because they find the subject matter so "rich, engaging, fun, fascinating" and you're falling asleep? (I did this in government and sociology):rolleyes:

Of course you wake yourself up because you need to keep your GPA up.;) :D

I would start by taking whatever premed requirements you should take your first year (bio and/or gen chem) and fill up the rest of your schedule with some random classes that sound fun but will still satisfy any core requirements for your school. That way you can experiment with different things to see what you like without totally wasting your time, since you'd still be completing required courses.

hmm...the bio degree isnt that many classes. i dont see why you wouldnt have time for fun classes if you took a bio major. i think most of us who majored in the sciences would agree that outside of the major we had ample opportunity to take classes that interested us...no?

do what you want...but if you decide to do bio then...i dont think it would be a problem.