I am lost

Started by Nanudou
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nanudou

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I just got done with my first year at my university with a 3.65 GPA first sem and 4.0 second sem. I am currently a Biochem major but I am thinking of changing it to Chem since it is my first year and both of those majors have the same core classes. My question is that my first year I was told to just focus on my grades and not volunteer or do any of that yet but now that summer just hit I had a couple questions. How many hours of volunteering would I need in order to have a competitive application and does it matter if it is at a hospital? And how many hours of shadowing is recommended to have a competitive application? It is very hard for me to find someone to shadow because I need a sponsor otherwise they say I cannot shadow. How do I get one if I need to pretty much do not know the doctor? This is all stressing me out and I don't know what to do... Also do I need research in order to have a competitive application? I just don't understand how this is all done when I need to have an actual PAYING job, volunteer, shadow and have a life.

If you can explain this to me better that would be great.
Thanks.
 
Hello everyone,

I just got done with my first year at my university with a 3.65 GPA first sem and 4.0 second sem. I am currently a Biochem major but I am thinking of changing it to Chem since it is my first year and both of those majors have the same core classes. My question is that my first year I was told to just focus on my grades and not volunteer or do any of that yet but now that summer just hit I had a couple questions. How many hours of volunteering would I need in order to have a competitive application and does it matter if it is at a hospital? And how many hours of shadowing is recommended to have a competitive application? It is very hard for me to find someone to shadow because I need a sponsor otherwise they say I cannot shadow. How do I get one if I need to pretty much do not know the doctor? This is all stressing me out and I don't know what to do... Also do I need research in order to have a competitive application? I just don't understand how this is all done when I need to have an actual PAYING job, volunteer, shadow and have a life.

If you can explain this to me better that would be great.
Thanks.
Get your research job to pay you, volunteer clinical and nonclinical around 200hrs (6 hours a week for 2 years is enough), cold call/email doctors for shadowing until you get like 60 hours (start with ur PCP)
 
Get your research job to pay you, volunteer clinical and nonclinical around 200hrs (6 hours a week for 2 years is enough), cold call/email doctors for shadowing until you get like 60 hours (start with ur PCP)
Thank you. Also are my hours working for a paying job also considered as EC?