I am new and in need of information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

royaldragons

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:oops: I am sorry to make so many posts, but I am a little bit lost, I am new and I need some information about PM&R programs, which ones are the best, the second best, I've been reading some posts here, and nobody talks about Tampa, Alabama, are they good?, the usmle scores they require, when to apply, if anybody can give some information or some sites I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

you need a to wait a few days for peeps to respond. =) Be patient.....We all work too! UAB has a great fellowship for sports medicine I know. Other than that I know Birmingham is not many peeps cup of tea, I don't about UAB. I cancelled the interview b/c I had better programs.

1. Go the school's website's and check out the programs.
2. You can get all hte dates you need off of Frieda website.
3. Tampa, as well as all of hte florida programs, are young and new. I have not heard of anyone interviewing there and haven't heard any good, nor bad, word of them. So you may be the first to post on here about tampa.

you can IM me anytime and ask whatever. i'm an m4 almost done with interviewing now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for your reply:love: , and I am sorry:oops: I didn't mean to be impatient. I am thinking to apply in Tampa, Alabama,Ohio, San Antonio Texas, Atlanta, Miami.....what have you heard about Jackson Memorial, Miami?. How many programs do you suggest that one must submit applications in order to get some interviews?:confused:
In the Freida site I read that the applications submitted this year (since Aug or Sept 2007)for most of the PM&R programs that I reviewed(i.e:Columbus Ohio, San Antonio Texas, Tampa) are for 2008-2009, so it means that you will begin in 2009 if you match in 2008? and even some of them (i.e Jackson Memorial, Alabama,etc) received applications for 2008-2009 last year, will interview until february 2007, what does that mean? maybe that the next available period is 2009-2010 to try to get in?
Please explain, I really do not understand how does that work......:scared:

So, I didn't have a mentor to tell me anything when I applied either. So, I ended up applying to 20 programs just because. I think since you are an FMG that you should proly apply to this many or more. I'm not sure but I do know as an FMG it's harder to come so you have to apply to more. If I were you, I would ask the admission committee at your residency now. Or if you are practicing (i don't know where you are at in your training), go to the closest medical school and ask to talk to an advisor to help you. They should and proly will.

Some PMR are catergorical (have all 4 years worked into them) so the year you apply (sept - nov 2007), you match (march 2007), and off you go to start (june or july 2007).

Others are advanced (start the next year 2008). BUT you have to do a preliminary year of medicine, family medicine (some take but not all), peds (some but not all) or a transitional year. So basically, you HAVE to do a clinical year before you start PMR. the cat PMR programs just have this year worked into it so you are at hte same program for 4 years. Advanced programs sometimes have spots at their schools but it's the luck of hte draw whether you get them. it just depends.

so the words you'll see on frieda, eras, ect. is "advanced" and "catergorical" Know what they mean.

most schools are in hte last week of interviewing so your chances of getting in now are almost zero. I cannot say zero b/c you do have a week to contact programs and see if you can slide in? Not sure. I'd personally call each program coordinator, tell them your story, and see what happens. It cannot hurt you.

I know Ohio State is one of the best programs.
I hear Texas San Antonio is a great program.
Emory in Atlanta is a great program.
Alabama, I just don't know. All I know is that it has a super sports fellowship but that's AFTER residency so not sure about residency. I hear it's nice but that's hearsay. it's a place you'd have to see for yourself.

I know nothing of Florida programs. they are all new/young.

good luck

:) Thanks for your reply RuNnR, according to what you wrote I think the best thing for me is apply to the cat PM&R programs, because I am not interested in doing 1 transitional year. I am an american citizen and I live in Florida .Maybe I should go to Miami University and ask to an advisor there. Outside I did the 3 years resid PM&R plus 1 year EMG, that's the same thing that I'd like to do here, go for the 4 years PM&R and then 1 or 2 years EMG. I am going to apply this year (sept-Oct) once I pass step 2 CK & CS ( I passed already step1, got 90, last Dec.)and see if I can match for 2008. For the categorical programs: not too many places ,though, to apply so that narrow my chances a little bit , but let's see what happens.
RuNnR I really appreciate the time that you took to answer my questions, and your valuable advices....thanks a lot.:love:

As far as I know, FMGs who do not have all of their test scores (I, CK, CS) by 2/21/07 will be automatically withdrawn from the match. CS scores take ~2 months to come back so if you have not taken it I'd think it's probably too late this year. You can try to get a spot outside of the match, however.

Also, in the "categorical" programs you are basically doing the medicine or "transitional" programs at the said institution. I think you might benefit from reading about the residency programs and/or the match process a little bit more.

Good luck.

:) Thanks" ihaveaquestion" but I did not mean apply for this match 2007,(I know it is already almost decided & finished) I meant for 2008 which will receive applications since sept-oct 2007, that's why I planned the last test(CS) for August counting on the 2 months waiting for the score and ECFMG cerification. And I will follow your advice I will read more about the match and the programs. Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it.:)

:) Thanks" ihaveaquestion" but I did not mean apply for this match 2007,(I know it is already almost decided & finished) I meant for 2008 which will receive applications since sept-oct 2007, that's why I planned the last test(CS) for August counting on the 2 months waiting for the score and ECFMG cerification. And I will follow your advice I will read more about the match and the programs. Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it.:)

try these links:
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/special_part/ind_app/registration.html
http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/index.html
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/1554.html
http://www.thedoctorjob.com/careercorner/view_article.php?id_article=24

It's amazing to me how less than a year ago I was in royal dragon's position of this whole match process. No mentor, no 1st aid for the match, no real clue about the programs themselves. Now I think I could write my own book on the process and surviving the match! ;) I turned to this forum in May and it has helped tremendously, so good work all you out there who have posted such helpful threads and info!

Well, then again... the results aren't here YET, so maybe I didn't survive the match afterall! :D :confused:

Axm397:
I found the links you gave me extremely useful & enlighting, :thumbup: thank you very much so:) . And again thanks to everyone that replied.:love:

TUCOMSam:
I hope ,soon, be able to say the same, really, this forum is awesome , they have cleared me up a great deal, because this match thing can be very complicated and confusing.........good luck with your match, wish you the best!:luck:

TUCOMSam:
I hope ,soon, be able to say the same, really, this forum is awesome , they have cleared me up a great deal, because this match thing can be very complicated and confusing.........good luck with your match, wish you the best!:luck:

Thanks royaldragons... just keep in mind that you've started early so you will be ahead of the 8 ball in a few months. It's like learning anything else... once you start the actual process this summer, you'll get more and more proficient at it. It's very overwhelming at first (for me it was anyway), but the high stakes are a HUGE motivation to figure out all the ins and outs of the process. Best of luck