I am pregnant!!:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
eek! I just found out that I am preganant! No, This is not planned. the pharmacy school I accepted this year will start on August. I think I am going to deliver approximately FEB 2009. Is it possible manage school work when I am pregnant? any advice? (abortion is not an option:( )
btw my school is three year program!! I guess the course load would be heavy though.

Members don't see this ad.

There were two students in my p1 class that were pregnant. They both delivered during the school year, and they did fine. It probably isn't easy, but it's doable.

Congratulations!!

You can do it! I know a pharmacist who went to school pregnant. She's doing great now. Don't be afraid. I'm sure you'll have lots of support during school.

Members don't see this ad :)
abort abort

OR

have the baby and live with your decision, there really isn't more to it.

There were several girls in my class that have become pregnant in the first and second year of pharmacy school. They were able to do it and be back in class fairly quickly. As far as your being in a 3 year program, I think the difference is really you don't have much of a summer break which cuts down the amount of years spent in the classroom.

Well since an abortion is not an option, you have to live with the consequences. I'm sure it's do-able but you're going to have to make some sacrifices and that could mean giving up your study time to attend to your baby.

Are there no labs that use chemicals in pharmacy school? I remember professors in my g-chem and my o-chem classes wouldn't allow pregnant women into the labs.

eek! I just found out that I am preganant! No, This is not planned. the pharmacy school I accepted this year will start on August. I think I am going to deliver approximately FEB 2009. Is it possible manage school work when I am pregnant? any advice? (abortion is not an option:( )
btw my school is three year program!! I guess the course load would be heavy though.

Having a child in the middle of a semester will be difficult. It's easier (not easy, but less difficult) if you have them during a break, but either way you slice it, it's something you'll want to let administration in on so that they can assist you with necessary accomodations. We had a girl deliver at the end of the first semester and she's still with us after the 2nd year. So it's definitely doable. Hopefully you have a good support network nearby (parents, family, friends) if not I'd start looking into what your options are locally for after birth.

I think you mean Feb 2010.... right?

It's not the pregnancy part that will make your school work difficult. Actually, you can probably go to class the same day you deliver, if you take good care of yourself and there are no complications.

If you communicate with your administration, they should be able to accommodate you pretty well in your classes.

After you have a baby, though - watch out. That's going to be the hard part. You won't be getting a lot of sleep. You may want to see if you can take a year off starting in the spring. Then again, maybe not. It might be best to finish school as quickly as you can so you can start making some money and spending time with your baby before he/she gets too old.

It's not impossible, I don't think. I mean, other people have done it. It will all depend on your support system. Is dad going to be in the picture?

Your only choices
1) abortion (the best choice in my opinion)
2) give it up for an adoption
3) beg your parents to take care of it for 4 years until you graduate from school (I know someone that did this and it worked out fine for her, she is an MD now)
or
4) Don't go to pharmacy school, stay home and be a mother. (if your husband is okay with being the bread winner, I don't see anything wrong with that. lol)

You have 4 choices, good luck! :)

Last edited:
schedule your c-section around exams, apparently this is a pretty popular option.

Your only choices
3) beg your parents to take care of it for 4 years until you graduate from school (I know someone that did this and it worked out fine for her, she is an MD now)
or
4) Don't go to pharmacy school, stay home and be a mother. (if your husband is okay with being the bread winner, I don't see anything wrong with that. lol)

Why can't she take care of the baby herself? I have seen 5 girls get pregnant while in school, all of them are still here. It is very possible, and I think that you should just go for it!!

Who got you pregnant??

Members don't see this ad :)
Your only choices
or

You have 4 choices, good luck! :)[/QUOTE

In my opinion, it is horrible to say that these are her four options... what about having the baby while going to pharmacy school? it is completely doable to have and raise a child while in pharmacy school. my brother and his wife, alone with a pharmacist I work with, are both perfect examples of doing this....I'm really not trying to attack you, but there are "better" and more choices out there than just the 4 you stated.

Why can't she take care of the baby herself? I have seen 5 girls get pregnant while in school, all of them are still here. It is very possible, and I think that you should just go for it!!

That just seems like a lot to take on. I mean I have an aunt that is offering me free rent to stay with her during pharmacy school and I am NOT sure if I want to b/c there is a baby in the house! I cannot imagine trying to study when there is a baby crying. So I don't see how the OP could possibly study while having to take care of the baby and not to mention the $$$...I guess she can always ask her parents but still that just seems like a hassle to me.

fight fight fight!
You came so far already! try time management, I know it will be hard; but there is alway a choice, and you can alway adapt to it! it's possible!

That just seems like a lot to take on. I mean I have an aunt that is offering me free rent to stay with her during pharmacy school and I am NOT sure if I want to b/c there is a baby in the house! I cannot imagine trying to study when there is a baby crying. So I don't see how the OP could possibly study while having to take care of the baby and not to mention the $$$...I guess she can always ask her parents but still that just seems like a hassle to me.

yes it is a lot to take on, but it's completely doable....so, if she thinks she can't handle it she is supposed to abort the baby?....i personally think, and the OP seems to as well as she is against abortion, that she needs to work hard and have the baby and stay in pharm school. It's not going to be easy or fun, but thats life. Parents or no parents, the OP can do it ALL by herself. GOOD LUCK

Can you defer for one year? I would consider this excruciating circumstances (but a joyous one). Just talk to the adcom.

Believe me!!! If I can do it, so can you. I was pregnant with twins!!! I gave birth last year during the spring semester. It was a very heavy load. 17 credit hours if pure science and calculus and studying for the PCAT. Still was in school when they were born. Not only that but with the twins, that made five children! Went to the summer semester and haven't stopped. Now here I am on my way to my P1 year. It's definitely not easy. Not easy at all. I see my five children as my motivation for success. Please PM me if you have any questions or need advice. I am a very open person so don't me afraid to ask any questions. One good thing....your morning sickness will be over before you begin the semester. LOL. By the way, did I mention I am a single mother? You can do it!

You will be fine. When you are a parent, a good one anyway, you just find a way to get everything done that needs to be done and you get on with it.

Abortion is just modern society's way of shirking personal responsibility for their own gain at the expense of someone else's. Kudos to you for eliminating that "option" right off the bat.

Take care of yourself, enjoy your baby, and don't forget to take lots of pictures because it goes by faster than you can ever imagine.

Last edited:
Your only choices
or

If you took the time to read her post she said ABORTION WAS NOT AN OPTION! I say GOD does not give anyone any more that they can bare! During orientation have a talk with the Dean and get all of the details worked out before classes actually start. Motherhood is great and I don't think you will regret your decision later on in life.

P.S. Make sure you get a strong support system that you can rely on in split second situations trust me that will be more valuable than gold!

When there is a will- there is a way!!
As a mother of one, I know what you are getting into. It is all about time management. Plan ahead, Who will watch the baby while school is in session? Will you work (probably not a good idea)? Use weekends wisely!
Being a parent is very rewarding, You have gotten this far with your studies..do not allow anything to stop you because now you will have a little someone who will depend on you in EVERY which way!:D

Thanks for replies!!
I will definately keep the baby. The only problem is that my boyfriend is still in school. He has 3 more years to finish his school and he lives far away. Oh well, it already happend. I might call adcom before the school starts.

You didn't say what type of support system you'll have, but it's definitely doable. My spouse has been gone much of my child's life due to military/work commitments, so I did my Navy tour, earned my associates and my bachelors pretty much as a single parent. Time management is key! Just talk it over with the appropriate people at your school; I'm sure they've seen this before. Oh, and when you get settled start looking for good childcare well before the baby's born. The waiting list for infants can be quite long. :luck:

There are some posts in the pharmacy section by students who have had children while in pharmacy school. They may be useful to you.

I'd start getting on waiting lists for daycares now where ever your school is. I'm in Seattle, and friends who've had kids have had a hard time finding child care for them.

Your only choices
or

Listen to what you're saying. Those options are ridiculous. She will be just fine.

Thanks for replies!!
I will definately keep the baby. The only problem is that my boyfriend is still in school. He has 3 more years to finish his school and he lives far away. Oh well, it already happend. I might call adcom before the school starts.

That's the spirit. You can do it. Really. I'm a father to what will be a one-year-old boy when school starts in August, and I know it's going to be hard but not impossible. So you don't get to be as involved in extracurriculars. That's not the end of the world. Your family becomes your extracurricular activity. There's nothing wrong with that.

Your only choices
or

ahahah What the....
you are damn lucky your parents didn't think like you.

These are options that you think best?
with the exception of option 3, everything else is down right stupid.

ahahah What the....

There's nothing wrong with choice 2 (adoption) especially if the OP does not want to become a parent right now. I'm not sure exactly on how to go about doing it domestically but you can meet with prospective birth parents to make sure the baby would be with good people. There's no shame for putting a baby up for adoption.

There's nothing wrong with choice 2 (adoption) especially if the OP does not want to become a parent right now. I'm not sure exactly on how to go about doing it domestically but you can meet with prospective birth parents to make sure the baby would be with good people. There's no shame for putting a baby up for adoption.

trading in your child so you can go to school and make a lot of money?

Your only choices
or

This just about sums it up. I agree, its not too late to consider an abortion.

Can you do accept for the following year? That could be option #5 and would allow you to get the little one started and one year old is easier than a newborn during school. Trust me on this one.

I am married with a 21 month old son and hopefully will be starting school next july so he will be almost 3.

lol +1, my thoughts exactly...Abortion and adoption in this case are not the "ONLY" options and the people that think that are crazy and immature...abortion/adoption are just an excuse to make up for irresponsible actions and decisions. Congrats OP for being a responsible person and owning up to your actions

good luck, again!

ahahah What the....

Both of my parents had college degrees,stable careers, and savings when I was born, so no they had no reason to think like me....I only think like me now, b/c I do not have a stable career and my savings account isn't anything to brag about either. LOL...so thats why I think like me now. When I become as successful as my parents I will love to have a child and give him/her anything and all opportunties that he/she deserves.

None of my options are stupid. They are options that people do everyday.

yeah, people never do anything stupid....
apparently, you're missing the point. It can be argued that Jenny did something stupid by not being more careful. Now she's stuck with having to raise a baby while attending a rigorous program in pharmacy. She's going to have to keep up with the work and learn it, not just for the test, but for her future. The baby will be a hindrance, you're all saying you've seen it being done, but she will obviously have to offload all the work of raising a baby to someone else. She's going to have to shirk the responsibility onto her parents, since her boyfriend is in school as well.

It's sad to think that this baby will receive little attention with a busy mom and dad for the next 3 years and yet you all say "oh abortion/adoption are so stupid."

haha...if everyone waited until they were fully financially secure to have kids, no one would be born.

How can a child be "not planned"? 'F' in biology?

and since when is it ok to dump your baby on grandma and grandpa? Doesn't anyone's parents work around here? And assuming they did retire, they last thing your parents want to do is raise your kid for you. If I was in that situation my mom would call me an idiot and tell me to drive my culo straight to Planned Parenthood. Hell, she'll pay for my gas.

If you are that incapable of raising a child that you need to force your mom and dad to raise him/her for you, thats reason #1 to not have a kid in the first place.

and since when is it ok to dump your baby on grandma and grandpa? Doesn't anyone's parents work around here? And assuming they did retire, they last thing your parents want to do is raise your kid for you. If I was in that situation my mom would call me an idiot and tell me to drive my culo straight to Planned Parenthood. Hell, she'll pay for my gas.

If you are that incapable of raising a child that you need to force your mom and dad to raise him/her for you, thats reason #1 to not have a kid in the first place.

Well I know my parents would look after my kids for me while I went to pharmacy school, hell I would have a hard time getting them back. So it all depends don't generalize, jenny's parents may be thrilled to look after their grand child for 3yrs

Well I know my parents would look after my kids for me while I went to pharmacy school, hell I would have a hard time getting them back. So it all depends don't generalize, jenny's parents may be thrilled to look after their grand child for 3yrs
I think it's obvious that they're not thrilled since jenny had to come in here and ask advice. Otherwise, she wouldn't be so worried about it.

I think it's obvious that they're not thrilled since jenny had to come in here and ask advice. Otherwise, she wouldn't be so worried about it.

of course they are not thrilled about unplanned pregnancy.
I can definitely tell you that if they are caring, they would like to take care of the child rather abortion or give up to some stranger to take care of it.

Just abort. Babies are very easy to make so you can always make one when you're ready.

of course they are not thrilled about unplanned pregnancy.
I can definitely tell you that if they are caring, they would like to take care of the child rather abortion or give up to some stranger to take care of it.

thank you for clarifying my post, who is going to be thrilled with an unplanned pregnancy? After the initial disappiontment has worn out and she decides on what she want's to do her parents may suport whatever decision she makes, including having the grandparents care for the child.

thank you for clarifying my post, who is going to be thrilled with an unplanned pregnancy? After the initial disappiontment has worn out and she decides on what she want's to do her parents may suport whatever decision she makes, including having the grandparents care for the child.

agree
my parents would do the same, and they would love the child like I would, probably love it a bit tooo much to give it back.

One word: ru486. Do it now, before its no longer an option and you have to go through a worse form of abortion.

Have kids and be a mom on your own terms, when you feel ready for it.

If that's now, then great, struggle through school and maybe be a stronger person for it.

If not, then its better not to slight you and your future children.

Tough decision, good luck with whatever you choose.

some of the thing said here made me wonder...

suppose that kid grow up one day to be our age and applying to pharmacy school.
how would he/she respond to your post? what would he/she say?

F$#% you, you wanted to put me through a meat grinder?
you want to poison me?

D^$n you for give me up to a stranger so you can go to school and have money.

It is the exact same thing I would say.

lol +1, my thoughts exactly...Abortion and adoption in this case are not the "ONLY" options and the people that think that are crazy and immature...abortion/adoption are just an excuse to make up for irresponsible actions and decisions. Congrats OP for being a responsible person and owning up to your actions

good luck, again!

There is nothing irresponsible about adoption. If the OP is not ready to be a parent and does not think that she would be the best mother right now, she can give the baby to parents who would welcome it with open arms.
I was adopted when I was a baby (internationally, born in Korea) because I was born out of wedlock and there was a stigma associated with that for her. My birth mother thought that I would have a better life in the U.S. I have no qualms about being given up for adoption. I have had a wonderful life.

Just abort. Babies are very easy to make so you can always make one when you're ready.

That's terrible advice to someone who already said abortion wasn't an option. I wonder how many of the people saying abortion is the best option have ever been pregnant. I wonder how many are men.

Also, I don't think anyone said this to the OP yet: congratulations! There is no greater joy than being a parent, and that applies even to "unplanned" miracles.

Status
Not open for further replies.