I am so much in a rut...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxifoneforgod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to do with myself. I am 100% considering podiatry school now. However, I don't have very much support. When I was gung-ho about going to D.O. school...everyone I knew was so happy for me. Now that I mention podiatry school, everyone is joking around like, "Now, when I get old...you can cut my tonails! PEWW!" and "You sure you want to work with FEET all day?" It is making me discouraged. I want to do something because I want to do it...not because everyone else wants me to. But...it's hard to do that when you have ZERO encouragement.

Well...sorry to vent, I just had to get that out...to SOMEONE.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what to do with myself. I am 100% considering podiatry school now. However, I don't have very much support. When I was gung-ho about going to D.O. school...everyone I knew was so happy for me. Now that I mention podiatry school, everyone is joking around like, "Now, when I get old...you can cut my tonails! PEWW!" and "You sure you want to work with FEET all day?" It is making me discouraged. I want to do something because I want to do it...not because everyone else wants me to. But...it's hard to do that when you have ZERO encouragement.

Thanks.

There is a similar post around here somewhere. All you usually have to do is explain exactly what it is that you'll be doing all day. People are then generally impressed. Many people don't understand what a podiatrist does or what their training is now, especially surgically.

As far as working with feet all day, generally people have to work with SOMETHING all day. And it could be a lot worse. You could be sitting in a cubicle working with a computer all day :laugh:

There is a similar post around here somewhere. All you usually have to do is explain exactly what it is that you'll be doing all day. People are then generally impressed. Many people don't understand what a podiatrist does or what their training is now, especially surgically.

As far as working with feet all day, generally people have to work with SOMETHING all day. And it could be a lot worse. You could be sitting in a cubicle working with a computer all day :laugh:

I guess you're right...or be a urologist or proctologist...'nuff said...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont worry about what other people say or think. I am in a similar situation where my friends keep telling me, "Oh my, you sure you want to be smelling people's feet all day long?" or
"Well, Podiatrists arent real doctors"<-- I was told this by a friend who has a 2.0 undergrad gpa and is applying for a Physician Assistant program.
For the most part, people who think like this are ignorant and immature. Just ignore the lame comments and brush it off your shoulder. People place a lot of emphasis on prestige and which profession is the best but to me personally these things dont really matter and so i guess it doesnt affect me as much. As long as i make a descent living and am able to help people improve their quality of life i am happy.

Thanks.

I think that you are stressing too much. Take your time and don't make a mistake.

Thanks.

Sure you'll cut toe nails, but you'll be paid well for it. I always ask these type of people how they would feel about using sharp instruments on their feet if they had no pain sensation there and were diabetic? They are confused most of the time then I describe how even minor wounds in a foot without feeling can lead to an amputation. Even cutting toe nails in a diabetic can improve their life and greatly maintain their health.

But Podiatry is so much more! Chances are they'll probably need one at some time in their life!

Sure you'll cut toe nails, but you'll be paid well for it. I always ask these type of people how they would feel about using sharp instruments on their feet if they had no pain sensation there and were diabetic? They are confused most of the time then I describe how even minor wounds in a foot without feeling can lead to an amputation. Even cutting toe nails in a diabetic can improve their life and greatly maintain their health.

But Podiatry is so much more! Chances are they'll probably need one at some time in their life!

Yea, I usually tell them that I'll cut their toenails for them. And if they happen to step of a curb and shatter their calcaneus, I'll take them to surgery and fix that too :D

Are you going to be spending about $25k per year on tuition or are "they"?
Perhaps that's a simplistic approach, but your answer is that simple.

Almost any medical specialty would be "gross" to the uneducated person if they knew the entire job duties. Teratoma inspection, bleeding lacerations, tinea pedis, DREs, or cystic acne are not exactly dream jobs for most people, but treating and managing those conditions is quite important to patient morbidity (and it sure doesn't pay too badly either).

Are you going to be spending about $25k per year on tuition or are "they"?
Perhaps that's a simplistic approach, but your answer is that simple.

Almost any medical specialty would be "gross" to the uneducated person if they knew the entire job duties. Teratoma inspection, bleeding lacerations, tinea pedis, DREs, or cystic acne are not exactly dream jobs for most people, but they are quite important to patient morbidity.

$25K, lets not forget cost of living also. That is why I also say do some soul searching if you are not sure b/c you are talking about $40-45K per year.

omg i hate those ignorant comments! i get the same bs "are you sure you wanna work with feet all day" "thats gross...smellly feet" ughhh that pisses me off. i work at a doctor's office and i was discussing my future plans with one of the doctors and she was totally against them. she kept discouraging me telling me to go to med school instead and how i shouldnt be a podiatrist and she doesnt think i want to be one either...i was like thanks for the support. i dont care what anyone says...i'm going to be a podiatrist..they can just kiss my feet :laugh: (lol i know lame)

I worked in pulmonary intensive care for a year and a half and believe me I would much rather do feet than suck snot out of people's lungs. I guess you could also pose the question: Would you rather work with feet or vaginas? Believe me there's many less desireable (and much lower paying) medical specialties.

when you graduate rev your nice sports car in there face
- Danny

omg i hate those ignorant comments! i get the same bs "are you sure you wanna work with feet all day" "thats gross...smellly feet" ughhh that pisses me off. i work at a doctor's office and i was discussing my future plans with one of the doctors and she was totally against them. she kept discouraging me telling me to go to med school instead and how i shouldnt be a podiatrist and she doesnt think i want to be one either...i was like thanks for the support. i dont care what anyone says...i'm going to be a podiatrist..they can just kiss my feet :laugh: (lol i know lame)

I was talking to an ER doc not too long ago who, after finding out that I was going to be a podiatrist, congratulated me and mentioned how great a profession it was. Obviously, he was one who had exposure to what pods really do. As Jonwill put it, its all about education. If I thought that pods only clipped nails then I would be skeptical too. Just educate them and they will soon sing a different tune.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a podiatric physician respond to just such a comment once. He said, "when the first pair of feet walks into my office, without anything else attached, I'll worry." Podiatric physicians treat patients, not just their feet. Keep that in mind when your friends are making such ignorant comments....

I heard a podiatric physician respond to just such a comment once. He said, "when the first pair of feet walks into my office, without anything else attached, I'll worry." Podiatric physicians treat patients, not just their feet. Keep that in mind when your friends are making such ignorant comments....
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You are exaclty right :thumbup:

From my experience working in two different Podiatry clinics 6 days a week this past summer, all I see are patients with a lot of respect for DPMs. Its not that your working with smelly feet all day, you are draumatically improving the patients quality of life. And that is what is so great about our profession!! I have not yet had a patient not give me congrats on choosing Podiatry as a profession.

If any of you pre-pods have a bit of doubt about Podiatry, I suggest spending as much time as possible working/shadowing with many DPMs.

Thanks.

Don't worry....

I had the same thing happen to me as well. The truth is that many people don't realize what a Podiatrist does and how much it impacts the lives of others. At some point in Podiatry you will deal with nail/callous trimming and dremeling, however those patient that come in for those procedures are very greatful when you do a good job. For odd some reason I really enjoy using the drill to clean up those nails.:D Its like taking an ugly piece of wood and carving a masterpiece.

Any carpenters/ wood makers out there besides myself??

In addition, a lot of the DPM's that I know and work with are more successful than most MD's that I have encountered. (Trust me, I have encountered many MDs).

I believe you shouldn't care what others say in regards to discouraging you. I've been there, you tell people "Yes, I want to be a Doctor" and some either congratulate you or some look at you stupid as if yeah right your going to make it....

There's so much a pod can do it's not even funny! You have the ability to help provide a better quality of life that many other specialties are completely unable to offer. It all depends on your outlook and confidence in what YOU believe you want to take part of.

I think that many people simply forget how important feet really are.

Those same ignorant people are the ones that will someday get referred to a pod then the pod basically "saves" their lives and they feel like IDIOTS because they were such ignorants...

I would tell you to look at all fields with a jaundice eye. There are the good and bad aspects in every field. I am interested in EM and will most likely end up there as a specialty. I deal with drunks, psychos and really smelly patients, conversely I also work with patients that have complex and difficult medical needs and good outcomes make for a good day.

SO if you are caught up in the whole foot thing then you are selling your self short - the patient needs help and your training could provide the solution.

I worked as a nurse for many years and had excruciating foot pain. My doctor (PCP) had NO CLUE what to advise or do. I had difficulty completing 12 hour shifts with out limping to my car.

I finally got referred to a DPM and he fixed my feet with custom made orthotics and I have zero foot pain and no limitations. This is an important activity (walking) and my DPM did a fantastic job. I am the first to recommend (and soon refer) all mechanical foot problems to a DPM.

So if you decide to go into podiatry then consider what you can do for the patient and how grateful the patient will be for what you do - I know I am....

old man

I would tell you to look at all fields with a jaundice eye. There are the good and bad aspects in every field. I am interested in EM and will most likely end up there as a specialty. I deal with drunks, psychos and really smelly patients, conversely I also work with patients that have complex and difficult medical needs and good outcomes make for a good day.

SO if you are caught up in the whole foot thing then you are selling your self short - the patient needs help and your training could provide the solution.

I worked as a nurse for many years and had excruciating foot pain. My doctor (PCP) had NO CLUE what to advise or do. I had difficulty completing 12 hour shifts with out limping to my car.

I finally got referred to a DPM and he fixed my feet with custom made orthotics and I have zero foot pain and no limitations. This is an important activity (walking) and my DPM did a fantastic job. I am the first to recommend (and soon refer) all mechanical foot problems to a DPM.

So if you decide to go into podiatry then consider what you can do for the patient and how grateful the patient will be for what you do - I know I am....

old man

thanks for the great positive post.

I have one question though...
Why only mechanical foot problems?

after I posted I realized this would be a question...If a patient came with an infection such as cellulitis or lymphangitis, puncture wound etc. I would just go ahead and treated it. It is not that you are not capable (far from it) it is just that the patient is there in the EM and expects treatment.

Now if I referred a patient to a DPM and during the course of treatment an infection was found I would expect the DPM to treat the infection since the patient is there in the office.

So thats what I meant - I have the fullest confidence in a DPM treating what ever they find during their evaluation and following up with the patients PCP as to their findings and treatment.

Sorry - realized the post was not so clear....:rolleyes:

oldman

after I posted I realized this would be a question...If a patient came with an infection such as cellulitis or lymphangitis, puncture wound etc. I would just go ahead and treated it. It is not that you are not capable (far from it) it is just that the patient is there in the EM and expects treatment.

Now if I referred a patient to a DPM and during the course of treatment an infection was found I would expect the DPM to treat the infection since the patient is there in the office.

So thats what I meant - I have the fullest confidence in a DPM treating what ever they find during their evaluation and following up with the patients PCP as to their findings and treatment.

Sorry - realized the post was not so clear....:rolleyes:

oldman

what about a calc fracture?

Just brush it aside, man.

As a person who explored the field of podiatry this summer, I learned a great deal about the profession. Podiatry, like any specialized field of medicine, addresses the patient first and foremost. I learned a lot about podiatry (general podiatry, podiatric surgery) during my summer internship at OCPM. I have alot of respect for the profession, but realized that it was not my calling. As what DrFeelgood said, "explore other fields and do some soul searching" to find out if podiatry is really your field.

Personally, myself, after the internship and after doing summer volunteer program back home this past summer, i realized that podiatry really was not my field. And I applied to several allopathic schools. Lo and behold, I was accepted to 4 allo schools --and waiting on others right now. I've always had a strong interest in internal medicine/emergency medicine. Also, dont be afraid to apply to allo or osteopathic schools--and dont go into podiatry as a 'back up'. I know alot of podiatrists who are so pessimistic about their job because they pursued it as a back up; many of whom ive met during my internship in Ohio this past summer.

On that note, just ignore ignorant and infantile comments like those you've heard from your friends. Their opinions shouldnt dictate your life choices, YOU dictate your own choice.

Peace.

what about a calc fracture?

good question - from an ER disposition view. The quickest service (ortho/DPM) that provides the required level of care and an exit plan form the ER.

I can splint it and give a pez dispenser of vicoden....

I personally don't have any experience with DPMs and surgical management of fractures though I am open to developing an opinion. I just saw a DPM on the floor today at the hospital I rotate at and I would guess he has privileges. I need to touch bases with him and discuss the above point. I have my surgical rotations in the spring and I will make it a point to look into it....

good question - from an ER disposition view. The quickest service (ortho/DPM) that provides the required level of care and an exit plan form the ER.

I can splint it and give a pez dispenser of vicoden....

I personally don't have any experience with DPMs and surgical management of fractures though I am open to developing an opinion. I just saw a DPM on the floor today at the hospital I rotate at and I would guess he has privileges. I need to touch bases with him and discuss the above point. I have my surgical rotations in the spring and I will make it a point to look into it....

good to hear. and some thing to think about. He is only one DPM, he may be great, he may be not. don't let him make your oppinion of all.

Depending on where and when he trained will depend on his comfort level and privilages.

good to hear. and some thing to think about. He is only one DPM, he may be great, he may be not. don't let him make your oppinion of all.

Depending on where and when he trained will depend on his comfort level and privilages.

I am a cynic and have a jaundice eye until proved otherwise thanks for the heads up

oldman

^ Which isn't bad when it comes to medicine. "Check and re-check".
Such is the philosophy of allopathic medical doctors, and for osteopathic as both are systemic medical providers.