I am very confused where to start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrNew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on see pre-med advisor soon, but I am very confused, first thing I want is to get into D.O. school.

I have no science course, I am have BS in Business Management with 2.9 , I have no idea if that matters at all, but I am very serious about medicine and I will do whatever it takes to become a doctor.

I am confused as to lot of school have mention just pre req such as

Chem 1, 2
Organic Chem 1,2
Physics 1,2
Bio 1,2

All with lab and that is it. While some have regular pre-req pluse genetics in bio etc...

I have never been the smart student due to lack of concentration but now I am very motivated and I will work my butt off.

I also need to work Part Time to support my family, where do I start ? Most people I talked to have do 12 month post-bacc and thats very expensive, which I can't afford at this moment.

Can I start in CC college ? take few course there, has anyone done this before ?

Thanks

Merc

Members don't see this ad.

"I am very confused where to start"

First off I think you came to the right place, a lot of people here are really helpful.

You are right about the pre-req's. Most schools require that you take Biology 1 and 2, Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, Inorganic Chemistry 1 and 2, and Physics 1 and 2 all with labs.

You will also have to take the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) at some point before you apply. It covers Verbal Reasoning, Inorganic Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Organic Chemistry and writing.

From what I've read it seems many people have taken a couple of pre-req's at a community college, but the general concensus seems to be that atleast half of your pre-reqs should be at a 4-year university.

I'm not sure if you've seen the post-bacc / SMP forum but there is a lot of information about post-bacc's there and maybe there are ways to help you pay for it, I'm not really sure.

Hopefully this helps, good luck!

"I am very confused where to start"

First off I think you came to the right place, a lot of people here are really helpful.

You are right about the pre-req's. Most schools require that you take Biology 1 and 2, Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, Inorganic Chemistry 1 and 2, and Physics 1 and 2 all with labs.

You will also have to take the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) at some point before you apply. It covers Verbal Reasoning, Inorganic Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Organic Chemistry and writing.

From what I've read it seems many people have taken a couple of pre-req's at a community college, but the general concensus seems to be that atleast half of your pre-reqs should be at a 4-year university.

I'm not sure if you've seen the post-bacc / SMP forum but there is a lot of information about post-bacc's there and maybe there are ways to help you pay for it, I'm not really sure.

Hopefully this helps, good luck!

Thanks for your quick responses,

The only course I want to take at CC college is the Chem 1 and Bio 1 with lab that is it, than transfer to 4 years college. This will provide me with much more financial benefits than straight 4 years.

Is it okay to take 2 pre-reqs and rest at college level.

I am very confused due to the fact of overwhelming research, I will just start the battle up hill and see what happens.

Any study tips or suggestion that can help getting A's. I am fully committed to this opportunity.

thanks

P.S. They do not offer post-bacc in Arizona that I am aware of .

Members don't see this ad :)
the best thing I did was contacted the medical school I want to attend and spoke to an advisor. he was very helpful and understanding of my lack of knowledge at that time

The only course I want to take at CC college is the Chem 1 and Bio 1 with lab that is it, than transfer to 4 years college. This will provide me with much more financial benefits than straight 4 years.

I am very confused due to the fact of overwhelming research, I will just start the battle up hill and see what happens.

Any study tips or suggestion that can help getting A's. I am fully committed to this opportunity.

thanks

congrats on wanting to go med school, having the dream and the drive to begin is the first step! I know it can be a confusing and hard transition, click on my name, and my posts. thumb through the info and see if that helps. feel free to PM.

thanks

From what I've gathered from various posts, especially from those who have taken pre-req's at a CC and then made it into medical school, it is absolutely fine to take 2 pre-reqs (Meaning Bio 1 and 2, and Chem 1 and 2) at a CC and then transfer to a 4 year.

Taking two courses and transfering should be absoutely fine. Just make sure the courses will transfer to the 4-year first.