Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doing nights is something I'd considered for a while. I don't particularly mind the scheduling and the spouse has agreed to be -very- supportive in the event I get/take it. I've been offered one at a hospital before but had to turn it down due to it starting 8 months after my Kmart closed. If I decided I liked it enough to pursue, we'd move to an apartment residence very (very) close and pay too much but have a lot of amenities, namely an in-facility gym and underground parking.
The main reason I'm trying to leave my easy job now is simple: There is nothing to do in this small town.
This really doesn't bother me, as I can spend weeks leveling and paving trans-continental roads in Life is Feudal (I particularly love coming up with formula for calculating the mass to move for switchbacks), but my wife has been living here with me for almost two years now and is starting to panic that "her youth is slipping away". The turning point in this was my child turning one year old and realizing that there is nothing to develop them while they are growing. I can't say the school is good or bad, but if we want them to have social opportunities, dance classes, music lessons, a pool, skate park? None of that is here...
Beyond that, I've realized I do miss going outside with my wife and being able to make an adventure out of it. When we lived in a small 40k town we could get a $5 pizza at Little Ceasers and go feed the ducks. I remember spending evenings going for walks outside and being able to go to a new place almost every day if we wanted. I remember going grocery shopping after 8pm and having fun trolling the aisles for something interesting to make. Hell, I went to my grandfather's funeral a couple weeks ago and purchased the entire sushi lineup (it's really that good anyways). As we were sitting there eating it we were talking about how much we missed the fish we would get, and that's from Kansas! My wife wants to go to college, and that's not happening here either.
When I got on with this company my store had closed several months ago and though I tried to get into a town a little bigger, they really wanted me here. I took the signup bonus but the contract was up very recently, and while I'm really ok with hanging out here over the summer or even for another year, I just can't see myself enjoying life in this place. I know they won't transfer me, as my position would be harder to fill than wherever I transfer too and the company is hard up for pharmacists. My supertech tried to transfer back to the home store in her hometown but was denied under the basis that they "need her here more."
On top of that, I'm kinda tired of being a manager. I've done it for over 6 years now and not gotten a bonus (both companies use it has bait but delivers it to no one). As a tiring pharmacist in my 30s I don't feel I have the inclination to pour my life into a place more demanding that what I already have. I don't even feel like full time, but 3-days per week would be nice. Also it's super saturated in the "good" places to live and I don't feel like competing for that and busting my ass.
Also, what's up with two-weeks vaca per year America? I got a bad viral infection last spring and between that and baby issues that's barely enough to cover family illnesses. When I was single, it was 4 days per week and two weeks vaca was good enough because I didn't want to go anywhere. I remember my mother telling me that with a family if you have vacation you just spend it visiting other family. Seeing other parts of the country (let alone other countries) was out of the question in my youth, and I don't want that for my children.
Maybe I'm just tired today, but I feel like I'm ready to retire to a 24-hr/wk job where I can be flexible for the company, come in, charm some customers, juggle the spatula and go home. I've got a miniature wargame I'd like to finish designing. I'd like to get a mini-scrollsaw and craft custom spatulas. I'd like to take my wife dancing and laugh about how we can't figure out the difference between the foxtrot and the salsa, or even to the movies without it being more than 30 min away. Other people do it on much less money than I do, right? After all, we have all those double-wammy Mexico ID (with voter id chip) + Medicaid card getting their brand name Amphetamine Rx's, not to mention that Dr's spouse also on Medicaid getting a couple boxes of Scop patches free for their annual 2 week cruise. I'm in the process of getting a Texas license mostly because that's always a state I wanted to have in my lineup.
Don't get me wrong, the job is great! Little corporate oversight (and it's not needed), easy workload, great pay, meh benefits and create-your-own retirement plan. The job itself couldn't be much better. It's just a simple fact that there is no life/culture within a 50 mile radius. Metros have the wrong kind of culture for me so I don't even feel a allure to live there.
I feel like "I've put in my dues", but that I know that doesn't matter anymore.
So I invest into crypto with the idea that if it doesn't go anywhere I can enjoy watching the world turn or if I make my million I can step out and become a short-order cook or a 24-hour call repairman or whatever I think would suit my tastes that month/year. The main thing I want now is to enjoy meaningful time with my wife and child.
My workday has almost ended, so if you're still reading this, congratulations on following my stream of consciousness over this slow Saturday. There's not really a point to make or a question to ask, but I enjoy the writing process and felt like I had to get some things out of my head and "onto paper". If you can derive something from it then I suppose it's done some good, even if it's just used as another example of "look how glamorous the life of a pharmacist has become for the average middling student".
I was reading my older post of the same vein and thinking to myself, "Yeah all that's still true." You can find it here, but please don't reply to it or bump it because that might junk up the forum: Current Job Found Lacking: Where should I go?
The main reason I'm trying to leave my easy job now is simple: There is nothing to do in this small town.
This really doesn't bother me, as I can spend weeks leveling and paving trans-continental roads in Life is Feudal (I particularly love coming up with formula for calculating the mass to move for switchbacks), but my wife has been living here with me for almost two years now and is starting to panic that "her youth is slipping away". The turning point in this was my child turning one year old and realizing that there is nothing to develop them while they are growing. I can't say the school is good or bad, but if we want them to have social opportunities, dance classes, music lessons, a pool, skate park? None of that is here...
Beyond that, I've realized I do miss going outside with my wife and being able to make an adventure out of it. When we lived in a small 40k town we could get a $5 pizza at Little Ceasers and go feed the ducks. I remember spending evenings going for walks outside and being able to go to a new place almost every day if we wanted. I remember going grocery shopping after 8pm and having fun trolling the aisles for something interesting to make. Hell, I went to my grandfather's funeral a couple weeks ago and purchased the entire sushi lineup (it's really that good anyways). As we were sitting there eating it we were talking about how much we missed the fish we would get, and that's from Kansas! My wife wants to go to college, and that's not happening here either.
When I got on with this company my store had closed several months ago and though I tried to get into a town a little bigger, they really wanted me here. I took the signup bonus but the contract was up very recently, and while I'm really ok with hanging out here over the summer or even for another year, I just can't see myself enjoying life in this place. I know they won't transfer me, as my position would be harder to fill than wherever I transfer too and the company is hard up for pharmacists. My supertech tried to transfer back to the home store in her hometown but was denied under the basis that they "need her here more."
On top of that, I'm kinda tired of being a manager. I've done it for over 6 years now and not gotten a bonus (both companies use it has bait but delivers it to no one). As a tiring pharmacist in my 30s I don't feel I have the inclination to pour my life into a place more demanding that what I already have. I don't even feel like full time, but 3-days per week would be nice. Also it's super saturated in the "good" places to live and I don't feel like competing for that and busting my ass.
Also, what's up with two-weeks vaca per year America? I got a bad viral infection last spring and between that and baby issues that's barely enough to cover family illnesses. When I was single, it was 4 days per week and two weeks vaca was good enough because I didn't want to go anywhere. I remember my mother telling me that with a family if you have vacation you just spend it visiting other family. Seeing other parts of the country (let alone other countries) was out of the question in my youth, and I don't want that for my children.
Maybe I'm just tired today, but I feel like I'm ready to retire to a 24-hr/wk job where I can be flexible for the company, come in, charm some customers, juggle the spatula and go home. I've got a miniature wargame I'd like to finish designing. I'd like to get a mini-scrollsaw and craft custom spatulas. I'd like to take my wife dancing and laugh about how we can't figure out the difference between the foxtrot and the salsa, or even to the movies without it being more than 30 min away. Other people do it on much less money than I do, right? After all, we have all those double-wammy Mexico ID (with voter id chip) + Medicaid card getting their brand name Amphetamine Rx's, not to mention that Dr's spouse also on Medicaid getting a couple boxes of Scop patches free for their annual 2 week cruise. I'm in the process of getting a Texas license mostly because that's always a state I wanted to have in my lineup.
Don't get me wrong, the job is great! Little corporate oversight (and it's not needed), easy workload, great pay, meh benefits and create-your-own retirement plan. The job itself couldn't be much better. It's just a simple fact that there is no life/culture within a 50 mile radius. Metros have the wrong kind of culture for me so I don't even feel a allure to live there.
I feel like "I've put in my dues", but that I know that doesn't matter anymore.
So I invest into crypto with the idea that if it doesn't go anywhere I can enjoy watching the world turn or if I make my million I can step out and become a short-order cook or a 24-hour call repairman or whatever I think would suit my tastes that month/year. The main thing I want now is to enjoy meaningful time with my wife and child.
My workday has almost ended, so if you're still reading this, congratulations on following my stream of consciousness over this slow Saturday. There's not really a point to make or a question to ask, but I enjoy the writing process and felt like I had to get some things out of my head and "onto paper". If you can derive something from it then I suppose it's done some good, even if it's just used as another example of "look how glamorous the life of a pharmacist has become for the average middling student".
I was reading my older post of the same vein and thinking to myself, "Yeah all that's still true." You can find it here, but please don't reply to it or bump it because that might junk up the forum: Current Job Found Lacking: Where should I go?