I barely made it out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephieuncw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am considering a career in medicine. I have applied to a local university so I can complete my pre-reqs. I have an undergraduate degree in business and have been working in a business capacity for the last 4 years. My problem is that my undergraduate grades are horrific. I was working a lot and didn't realize the impact that my GPA would have on later decisions. Since my undergraduate degree was not science related I do not have any terrible grades in the science department. What impact do you think my undergraduate grades will have on my ability to be accepted to medical school? If I do well in the pre-req classes as well as the MCAT will that help offset my undergraduate grades?

Members don't see this ad.

yeh, there are different levels of horrific hehe
a 3.3 or higher means your in pretty good shape, after 2 years of post-bacc, u'll bring that up to a 3.5ish
a 3.0 means, well... there is still work to be done, but your not in the crapper just yet
a 2.5 is... well, your sort of in the crapper, becuase no matter what post-bacc do you, chances are, you won't go over the 3.0 hump which is a cutoff for many MD schools (even some DO)
anything lower than a 2.5 means, well.... many many years of uphill battle

yeh, there are different levels of horrific hehe
a 3.3 or higher means your in pretty good shape, after 2 years of post-bacc, u'll bring that up to a 3.5ish
a 3.0 means, well... there is still work to be done, but your not in the crapper just yet
a 2.5 is... well, your sort of in the crapper, becuase no matter what post-bacc do you, chances are, you won't go over the 3.0 hump which is a cutoff for many MD schools (even some DO)
anything lower than a 2.5 means, well.... many many years of uphill battle

Yup.

On the plus side, not having a crappy BCMP gpa works in your favor if you do decide to go the postbacc route.

Assuming you are 3.3 or lower, you also need to start on getting some standout EC's going now, they will be required in addition to a great MCAT.