Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Hi. So, I'm considering the Illinois College of Optometry as whence I'll pursue my O.D., and I shall likely visit Chicago, soon. I wonder if those who're currently attending, or who have knowledge of the area, could discuss housing in the area.

I know I.C.O. runs its Residential Complex, but I'm not interested in the dorm-like nature of their suites, and their apartments are quite costly (also, I'm unsure how good they are). Any recommendations (what to avoid "anti-recommendations" will be useful, but I'd love to know of some places I should look into, too) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

NorthernStar13

OSU c/o 2014
Feb 8, 2010
Status
Optometry Student
If you go to ICO's website (www.ico.edu), go to "The View" student portal. To the right and down a bit, they have published information about the neighborhoods and relative prices/time to get to ICO. I also don't want to live in the RC, so I used that as a point of reference. I wish I could give you better, more detailed instructions, but I can't remember it exactly. Just don't live in the same area the school is! Heard it was pretty shady..

Eye-Spy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Chicago, IL
Status
Optometry Student
The apartment style rooms in the RC aren't available to incoming first years, so that won't be an option for you. I would look into living in the South Loop if you don't have a car, Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville if you like nightlife, or the Gold Coast if money isn't an issue. These are all really nice neighborhoods where lots of ICO students live.

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
I've been to I.C.O.'s Web site a number of times, yet I never before clicked into that section, NorthernStar13.

Thanks, both.