1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I can help you...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dr. Dai Phan, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Dr. Dai Phan

Dr. Dai Phan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hello all,

Let me introduce myself... I am Dai Phan and I am currently a dentist working at the Albuquerque VA. I think that my educational path is anything but typical so I think that I can relate to all of your concerns. Let me say that I came to this country in 1980 and earned my BS degree in Aerospace Engineering in 1985. I then decided to go into dentistry (my father was an MD, my brother is a PHD in engineering so I thought dentistry for me would be appropriate). I went to University of Kansas for my pre-dent and I enrolled in UMKC Dental School in 1990 and earned my DDS in 1995. I then went on and did my post graduate trainings in General Dentistry (G.P.R and A.E.G.D) at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and University of Minnesota in 1996 and 1997. I then went on and completed a three year Prosthodontic Residency at Marquette University in 2000. Then I went another step further... I did an one year fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in Maxillofacial Prosthetic program completed in 2001. After a total of 16 years ( with a BSAE, DDS, two certificates in General Dentistry training, a speciaty and a sub-specialty), I became a full time professor at the University of Tennesee in Memphis. Two years ago, I was offered a job as a Maxillofacial Prosthodontist at Albuquerque VA and have been here since. I have given lectures nationally on various dental topics as well as giving talk to kids,high school and college students about the field of dentistry and how to get into the residency programs or life topics in general. I feel that I can help you should you need any advice regarding making it through dental schools, what specialty to pursue or any topics that you need help. Thank you for listening. Dai Phan

Dr. Dai Phan

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GERMANSPY

GERMANSPY Superman

Pre-Dental
    I have received a BA in Spanish with a minor in comparative politics, and an MA in International Relations, I am now taking all the classes for a pre dental major and then I will apply to dental school. Do admission committees like a well rounded student? Will this path hurt or help me down the road? Thank you.

4. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Obviously this question is directed at Dr. Dai Phan, but I can say from personal experience that, yes, dental schools do value a well rounded student and as long as you do well in your science courses your choice in major will not be held against you.

5. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I remember you from UT-Memphis. I graduated in 2002 shortly after you arrived, so I never really got to work with you. It seems like a lot of faculty left about that same time.

6. Dr. Dai Phan

Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hello,

The admission committee does NOT care what major you have when you apply to the dental school, infact it was NOT the requirement that you must have a BS although it would help you immensely. The more the drastic change in life career will HELP you more than the normal biology or chemistry major (because it generates curiosity at the interview and that makes you STAND out from the rest). When I applied to dental school, I was finishing up my Masters in Aerospace Engineering and they thought it was so neat that someone would change to dentistry. They all look at me with curiosity so I seize that advantage and impressed them with my determination to change career and that did it. At the end of the interview, I was told privatetly that I was among the more unique applicant and I should not "have any problems at all". Remember that the interview is to nail the spot that is reserved for you. You can't not change your bad grades or poor DAT scores, but you CAN make them becoming less and less significant by doing well on the interview. Call me 505-459-0633 if any of you need any tips on acing the "talk" part. Dai Phan

7. geckel

geckel Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hello Dr. Dai Phan, I am applying to UT Memphis!!!! Again!!!! I was wondering if you wouldn't mind taking a look at a thread that I started. It is called "I need advice for a contingency plan" (it's in the Pre-Dental forum just like this one.....it should be toward the top but if you can't find it there than you could just find it in my profile under "user's posts"). What great luck I must have that you are on here. I would sincerely appreciate any advice that you can offer me. Thanks a million

8. jcrew002

Pre-Dental
  9. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Um, maybe PM instead of bumping a year old thread?

10. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Haha. Yeah, I don't think this guy has been on for awhile. Don't try pm'ing him either because his mailbox is at capacity.

11. Dr. Dai Phan

Dentist