I can't help but notice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to d-schools this cycle and I have been researching schools...I can't help but notice:
1) ASDOH is known for their emphasis on public health and promoting oral health, and also sending their students on rotations to community health centers around the country . Given the access to care problem in this country, why does it seem like so few other dental schools are following their model?

2) Why is it that some dental schools look down upon community college courses? Some schools don't even accept pre-reqs taken there at all (e.g. Boston, Tufts). Courses are courses...if one can still do well in upper-div science classes at a 4 yr, then what is the problem? Ego?

Members don't see this ad.

Its because I got a D in Ochem from Berkeley but A++++ in community college. Stop making me jump through hooops...

I am applying to d-schools this cycle and I have been researching schools...I can't help but notice:
1) ASDOH is known for their emphasis on public health and promoting oral health, and also sending their students on rotations to community health centers around the country . Given the access to care problem in this country, why does it seem like so few other dental schools are following their model? Costs! The dental schools does provide treatment at low costs. How much of the tax dollars can one spend????

2) Why is it that some dental schools look down upon community college courses? Some schools don't even accept pre-reqs taken there at all (e.g. Boston, Tufts). Courses are courses...if one can still do well in upper-div science classes at a 4 yr, then what is the problem? Ego? Some classes (upper division) at some community colleges are a joke. The school wants a standard that the pre-reqs are taken at a 4 year university. Cannot argue all administrations ideas, but it's their attempt to create a standard

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh I didn't know there are community colleges that offer upper division classes. Sure, community college classes are not comparable to the competition you would see at UCB, but same thing can't be said for some smaller never heard of 4 year colleges that are out there.

Asdoh is a nice school I interviewed there a couple years ago and they have great facilities. That being said, it is hard to take out $250,000 in loans and be get excited for a life of public healthcare. Many people want to become dentists to have the flexibility in their schedule and freedom that being self employed provides, and working at a community clinic IS NOT the same thing even if the money earned was the same, which it isn't. At Maricopa County hospital, the dentists there make around $125,000-$150,000. There isn't a large room for improvement in income as opposed to private practice. They also extract hundreds of teeth per week instead of doing what most dentists would prefer which is restoring function and cosmetics and not just releiving pain at the expense of a gaping hole in the smile.

All in all, if more dental schools tried forcing that point of view, they would have a harder time recruiting students. There is also nothing at all to prevent an alltruistic person from going into public service from any school if they had a desire to. All in all it is just their thing, just like at Midwestern we have 4 years of Dental Ethics classes.

I agree. The desire to serve the underserved population has to come from within and no class can ever force anyone to do so. I am assuming it's even more difficult for a dentist to go into public service after paying off debt and having an established practice.

Just curious, how many years of public health classes are there at Midwestern?

In regards to your second point - what schools dont accept CC credits? I took gen chem, gen bio, and calc at a CC for one year before going to a four year... will this limit the schools I can apply to?

The CC classes I took were just as challenging as my state school's 100-200 courses (i'm a TA). I got A's at the CC sciences and I'm earning A's at the uni. sciences. In fact my CC profs were adjuct at another state school uni.

In regards to your second point - what schools dont accept CC credits? I took gen chem, gen bio, and calc at a CC for one year before going to a four year... will this limit the schools I can apply to?

The CC classes I took were just as challenging as my state school's 100-200 courses (i'm a TA). I got A's at the CC sciences and I'm earning A's at the uni. sciences. In fact my CC profs were adjuct at another state school uni.

I agree. I thought I was getting a better education at the CC due to its smaller class sizes and my professors taught at nearby 4 years as well.

As far as I know, Boston do not accept any pre-reqs from a CC, and Tufts doesn't accept any CC credits at all.