I can't see

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTKB

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My eyes won't work anymore. I'm trying to read and I keep having to slap my face and rub my eyes to get them to focus. And the headaches.... What can I do to get rid of this eye strain? It's very distracting.

Members don't see this ad.

My eyes won't work anymore. I'm trying to read and I keep having to slap my face and rub my eyes to get them to focus. And the headaches.... What can I do to get rid of this eye strain? It's very distracting.

I had a lot of headaches during the last two weeks, that's just the knowledge you're gaining trying to escape.

oh the eye strain and headaches. i get those too.

i think it's from over accomodating your eyes for way too long.
i usually get a headache and an achy pain behind my eyes when this happens.

things that help me are: wearing glasses instead of contacts, not looking at the computer as much, holding the book a little farther away, and every 30 minutes or so, taking a 30 second break to focus my eyes on something farther away. hope that helps. not studying helps too (but of course this is no option).

If your eyes feel dry then some lubricating drops will help. It's a lot harder to focus crisply on something with a dry eye, and might help the irritation.

If you don't already have glasses/contacts, it might be a sign you need them. Go to the allo forum and do a search for threads talking about losing eyesight in med school. Vision loss is iatrogenic!

Ha, I wanted to get lasik before starting med school. I even started saving up for it, but after reading forums here on SDN, I decided against it. My eyesight has definitely worsened since starting med school, my prescription went -0.5 in each eye!

T minus 29 days and already having eye strain....not good.