1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I can't take it anymore!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Chuckde, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Chuckde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've been studying for hours a day for my Gen chem final, and I can't seem to retain anything! I understood it quite well during the semester, now I have to grind my head to get all this information in. How do I cope with this? It takes me ridiculous amounts of time to delineate and understand a single stoich problem. Is it just me or is this supposed to happen after you are worn out from other finals? I've never been this unfocused in the material that I am studying.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spin

Spin me right round baby
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This occasionally happens to me when I'm stressed out. Do you have a friend in the class? If you have a study guide or list of topics to know for the test, you can take turns "teaching" each other the different types of problems and going over how to solve them. This works best if it's not the night before the exam. Good luck!

4. Chuckde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I apologize if this is a wasteful thread. I'm just stressed and need to get that out of my system.

5. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I found simply reading and looking at problems was a waste of time and that I didn't retain anything until I started writing out the problem. Even if it was just copying the example to get an idea on how to do the problem. 45 minutes of writing was equal to 3 hours of book staring for me in terms of effectiveness. Once I understood the mechanics of the problems then the overall concepts of the general principles made a whole lot more sense.

6. Performer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Drink some redbull. It gives you wings.

7. Chuckde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    thanks jake, ill try that. I'm considering taking an adderall tomorrow morning, so I have the ability to study all day. final is on friday morning

8. pasionatdentist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    work out + 20 min running..... I have found it to be the best formula for my stressed out times:thumbup:

9. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Well son thats college. Just wait until adv. biochem, p. chem, histo., genetics, etc. start happening.

At some point down your road the men will be separated from the boys.

10. left high n dry

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ummmhhhhh i guess you have the right to moan and complain albeit its "only" gen chem but good luck and as the saying goes practice makes perfect.

11. Chuckde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    you know what man, you're absolutely right, it is only gen chem, which is what's stressing me out b/c in the back of my head I know this stuff. But it just isn't working right now.

iight enough complaining. I'm good to get back to the studying. Thank you for reading and commenting. I honestly do appreciate it.

12. Performer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I hate people like this, taking drugs when they don't really have ADD or ****. How about you grow a pair and don't wait until the last minute to study.

13. Enso

Enso Dr. Troy
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Be confident in what you know and what you're able to learn.

Maxwell Martz who wrote Psycho-Cybernetics addresses this issue. He learned that the power of self-affirmation and mental visualization techniques used the connection between the mind and the body. He specified techniques to develop a positive inner goal as a means of developing a positive outer goal.

14. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    As you recommend stupid-high doses of caffeine, because that's not a drug...

15. Performer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Cry me a river senorita!

16. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You should know that caffeine really is a very powerful drug. Coca-Cola got its name because they used to combine Cocaine and Cola two popular substances to make an amzingly popular drink. Problem was it was very addictive. When cocaine became illegal in the 20's or 30's theyy had to take cocaine out. What do you think they replaced it with???
    Thats right, Caffeine. Its very powerful and it inhibits the phosphodieterase pathway. Probably just as bad for you as adderall.

17. Chuckde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I apologize if I offended you performer. I was just extremely stressed last night and might have considered doing things that I wouldn't normally do. There's no reason to continue with further disagreement.

Once again, I appreciate everyones input, thank you Enso for the advice.