I can't take it anymore!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chuckde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studying for hours a day for my Gen chem final, and I can't seem to retain anything! I understood it quite well during the semester, now I have to grind my head to get all this information in. How do I cope with this? It takes me ridiculous amounts of time to delineate and understand a single stoich problem. Is it just me or is this supposed to happen after you are worn out from other finals? I've never been this unfocused in the material that I am studying.

Members don't see this ad.

This occasionally happens to me when I'm stressed out. Do you have a friend in the class? If you have a study guide or list of topics to know for the test, you can take turns "teaching" each other the different types of problems and going over how to solve them. This works best if it's not the night before the exam. Good luck!

I apologize if this is a wasteful thread. I'm just stressed and need to get that out of my system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found simply reading and looking at problems was a waste of time and that I didn't retain anything until I started writing out the problem. Even if it was just copying the example to get an idea on how to do the problem. 45 minutes of writing was equal to 3 hours of book staring for me in terms of effectiveness. Once I understood the mechanics of the problems then the overall concepts of the general principles made a whole lot more sense.

thanks jake, ill try that. I'm considering taking an adderall tomorrow morning, so I have the ability to study all day. final is on friday morning

work out + 20 min running..... I have found it to be the best formula for my stressed out times:thumbup:

Well son thats college. Just wait until adv. biochem, p. chem, histo., genetics, etc. start happening.

At some point down your road the men will be separated from the boys.

ummmhhhhh i guess you have the right to moan and complain albeit its "only" gen chem but good luck and as the saying goes practice makes perfect.

you know what man, you're absolutely right, it is only gen chem, which is what's stressing me out b/c in the back of my head I know this stuff. But it just isn't working right now.

iight enough complaining. I'm good to get back to the studying. Thank you for reading and commenting. I honestly do appreciate it.

thanks jake, ill try that. I'm considering taking an adderall tomorrow morning, so I have the ability to study all day. final is on friday morning

I hate people like this, taking drugs when they don't really have ADD or ****. How about you grow a pair and don't wait until the last minute to study.

you know what man, you're absolutely right, it is only gen chem, which is what's stressing me out b/c in the back of my head I know this stuff. But it just isn't working right now.

iight enough complaining. I'm good to get back to the studying. Thank you for reading and commenting. I honestly do appreciate it.

Be confident in what you know and what you're able to learn.

Maxwell Martz who wrote Psycho-Cybernetics addresses this issue. He learned that the power of self-affirmation and mental visualization techniques used the connection between the mind and the body. He specified techniques to develop a positive inner goal as a means of developing a positive outer goal.

I hate people like this, taking drugs when they don't really have ADD or ****. How about you grow a pair and don't wait until the last minute to study.

As you recommend stupid-high doses of caffeine, because that's not a drug...

Cry me a river senorita!

You should know that caffeine really is a very powerful drug. Coca-Cola got its name because they used to combine Cocaine and Cola two popular substances to make an amzingly popular drink. Problem was it was very addictive. When cocaine became illegal in the 20's or 30's theyy had to take cocaine out. What do you think they replaced it with???
Thats right, Caffeine. Its very powerful and it inhibits the phosphodieterase pathway. Probably just as bad for you as adderall.

I apologize if I offended you performer. I was just extremely stressed last night and might have considered doing things that I wouldn't normally do. There's no reason to continue with further disagreement.

Once again, I appreciate everyones input, thank you Enso for the advice.