I do not know what to do...please help

Started by NSever
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NSever

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! Normally, I am not a big fan of forums but I find this site very resourceful and changed my way of thinking.
I am a mid 24 year old nursing student and about to graduate next year... once I graduate I want to work my rear off and pay off most of my student loans. I would like to pursue in becoming a MD once I lessen my student loan. I know that in order to practice in US it is preferably that I should attend med school in US (US is the top of the list, then Caribbean, then Asia: correct me if I am mistaken). Before, I was considering in going to Caribbean because it is cheaper and easier to get in to Med school. However, I heard about the Philippines is way cheaper, easier to get in but more exams to take and they also have affiliation to hospitals in the US. I am wondering if anyone can give me some insights about this issue. Is it hard be able to practice in the united states once u have graduated in the Philippines?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are already graduating with nursing, why not continue on into a nurse practitioner degree? Most hospitals will have a tuition reimbursement program, so you could work and go to school part-time as well as getting your classes partially or fully-paid for. Depending on what area of practice you are interested, this may be the way for you to go. I also think it would be a much better option than the Caribbean or Philippines for medical school.

Do you not think you would get into a US MD/Do school due to grades or MCAT score? Or are you just worried about cost?
 
"If you are already graduating with nursing, why not continue on into a nurse practitioner degree? Most hospitals will have a tuition reimbursement program, so you could work and go to school part-time as well as getting your classes partially or fully-paid for. Depending on what area of practice you are interested, this may be the way for you to go. I also think it would be a much better option than the Caribbean or Philippines for medical school.

Do you not think you would get into a US MD/Do school due to grades or MCAT score? Or are you just worried about cost?"


I was considering the NP route in nursing, however, anyway I feel like there there is still a limitation in Nursing compared to being MD. My grades are not that grade, but I do believe I will be able to raise my premed courses before applying to a med school... and of course I am also worried about the cause. I do appreciate your input...thank you so much!
 
First of all thanks for the comment SHYREM, I do appreciate it... So it is cheaper to go in the continent for cheaper... Thank you for correcting me. If you don't mind me asking, What school do you attend to?
 
I know that its easier to go for NP rather than going around US for Med. I am just trying to check all my options. I might just stick around here in my state. I know its tougher to get in and of course for the cost of loans and expenses. It did cross my mind to go for NP but I think my "heart" say go for MD. If I don't try my chances I might regret it in the future. Thanks for the reply J