• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

I don’t know my next steps

11BtoMD

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2018
    So here’s some background. I’m currently a junior with 69 credits. I have a 2.7 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. I got a .56 my freshman year and then I left school and joined the army where I served for 8 years. I got out and became an EMT and have been working as an ER tech. My GPA since the army has never been lower than a 3.66. So it is a strong reinvention/upward trend. I just don’t know what I need to do next. I’m currently working on my pre reqs, my PS and LOR from former commander. I am not taking the MCAT until I knock out some more classes, such as orgo 1-2 and stats. Any constructive advice is welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenk

10+ Year Member
    Jan 5, 2007
    1. Attending Physician

Reactions: 2 users

Goro

10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Silver Member
      Gold Member
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        So here’s some background. I’m currently a junior with 69 credits. I have a 2.7 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. I got a .56 my freshman year and then I left school and joined the army where I served for 8 years. I got out and became an EMT and have been working as an ER tech. My GPA since the army has never been lower than a 3.66. So it is a strong reinvention/upward trend. I just don’t know what I need to do next. I’m currently working on my pre reqs, my PS and LOR from former commander. I am not taking the MCAT until I knock out some more classes, such as orgo 1-2 and stats. Any constructive advice is welcomed.

First off, many thanks for your service to our country. Hoooooahh!

From this point onwards, consider your cGPA to be a 3.66. Rising GPA trends are always welcome.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads

11BtoMD

2+ Year Member
        Jun 21, 2018
          First off, many thanks for your service to our country. Hoooooahh!

From this point onwards, consider your cGPA to be a 3.66. Rising GPA trends are always welcome.

Thanks man. I’ve read many of your posts and have gotten many answers from your responses. I am in Florida and was planning to apply to all state MD schools and like 7 DO schools. I just don’t have any research and I haven’t done any volunteering since I left the army but I had 600 hours coaching high school lacrosse and raising money for wounded warrior.

Reactions: 1 user

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
          2+ Year Member
          Mar 14, 2019
          1. Pre-Medical
            Thanks man. I’ve read many of your posts and have gotten many answers from your responses. I am in Florida and was planning to apply to all state MD schools and like 7 DO schools. I just don’t have any research and I haven’t done any volunteering since I left the army but I had 600 hours coaching high school lacrosse and raising money for wounded warrior.

Schools love ex-military, and most of the adcoms say that research is very overrated unless you are shooting for Harvard level schools, but I think you're still going to need the usual shadowing and volunteering. Your EMT and ER work probably satisfies the clinical experience they look for. Assuming you do reasonably well on the MCAT and get those EC experiences, you should do very well in spite of your 0.56 a lifetime ago. Hopefully an adcom can weigh in on whether your 600 hours satisfies the volunteering expectations.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.