I don’t know what I am doing

Started by ciestar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, a few things:
1. Personal statement - what makes a good one? What should I include? I am majorly struggling with this. I was told my PS for med school sucked so I have concerns completing this one.
2. What activities should I include on ERAS? My school more or less told me to copy and paste the descriptions I gave on my MSPE.
3. Should/can I include BLS on my app? (Was told to put this on my CV)

I am getting nervous about this. Should I have my app ready on Sept 5 or the 15th?

As for the rest of my app: will have 2 FM, 2 Peds (potentially, I got some pretty harsh comments on my peds sub-i eval, although my advisor said this evaluator never would have agreed to write a LOR), and 1 OB to choose from. Not sure which ones I should use or which will really be strongest at this point.

Third year grades: 4 HP, 2 H, 1 P
Fourh year grades: 2 HP (both peds)

I just need some advice. With my school’s current issue with Hahnemann, I feel like I’ve gotten less than stellar advice thus far. Plus, a faculty advisor abruptly left, increasing the workload on the rest)
 
Okay, a few things:
1. Personal statement - what makes a good one? What should I include? I am majorly struggling with this. I was told my PS for med school sucked so I have concerns completing this one.
2. What activities should I include on ERAS? My school more or less told me to copy and paste the descriptions I gave on my MSPE.
3. Should/can I include BLS on my app? (Was told to put this on my CV)

I am getting nervous about this. Should I have my app ready on Sept 5 or the 15th?

As for the rest of my app: will have 2 FM, 2 Peds (potentially, I got some pretty harsh comments on my peds sub-i eval, although my advisor said this evaluator never would have agreed to write a LOR), and 1 OB to choose from. Not sure which ones I should use or which will really be strongest at this point.

Third year grades: 4 HP, 2 H, 1 P
Fourh year grades: 2 HP (both peds)

I just need some advice. With my school’s current issue with Hahnemann, I feel like I’ve gotten less than stellar advice thus far. Plus, a faculty advisor abruptly left, increasing the workload on the rest)

What do you mean by “harsh comments” on your sub-I evaluations?
 
What do you mean by “harsh comments” on your sub-I evaluations?

They were disregarded on my overall eval for the clerkship, but i got below expectations on a couple of spots by this one evaluator. This person said I didn't handle criticism well and had to be talked to "gently", meanwhile, on the actual evaluation I got far exceeds expectations... so these comments weren't considered.
 
Best advice I've heard regarding personal statements is...just don't have a bad one. Many people try to write this beautiful piece of literature or put way too much into it. Give it a sense of flow...have a beginning, middle and end. I'd be happy to look at yours if that would help.