I don't know what to do... I made an honest mistake on my AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heywefjio

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my predicament. When I initially submitted my AMCAS application, I had put my post-bacc program as a BS that would be earned in December, which was true.

Well, recently I spoke to the program director of the post-bacc because I had received my certificate of completion for the program back in December, but it had not been conferred on my transcript. She told me that because I was admitted to the post-bacc program *ALREADY WITH* a BS, I was admitted under the track 2 requirements of the program. This essentially means that a 2nd BS will not be conferred, it will just show on my transcript.

So now here comes the problem. I am needing to submit my transcript to the medical school I am admitted too, but I am worried that they are going to think that I was being academically dishonest, but I honestly did not know this fact until yesterday. Please don't harp on me saying that I should have payed better attention to when I applied to my post-bacc, I realize that now. What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no specific insight into how a school would view this, but rationally it would seem they are more interested in the coursework of the post-bacc program than any specific degree that would result (assuming you already have the minimum degree requirement met). I reference this against the number of people, myself included, who complete DIY post-baccs with no additional degree conferred. Given that it sounds like a genuine and not completely unreasonable error on your part, I would reach out to the school and inform them of the mix-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
OP - Yeh, definitely always best to be open and honest about this and contacting the school directly, at least in my experience. Best of luck with it al.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ultimately, I think this is probably going to be a non-issue. If you already had a bachelor's degree, there is no requirement to complete another. Many students are listed as second degree students for the purposes of receiving Federal Aid and don't end up completing the degree once prerequisites are satisfied. As others have suggested, you should contact your school, but long as the their required incoming prerequisites are satisfied, I doubt they'll care.

As an aside, I was somewhat confused by your statement than, "a second BS will not be conferred. it will just show on my transcript." What does that mean? Is track two a certificate program as opposed to a second BS? Again, at the end of the day, I don't think this will matter. Having had the opportunity to actually speak with some medical admissions officers, it seems like much of the neurosis fostered by SDN is not warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ultimately, I think this is probably going to be a non-issue. If you already had a bachelor's degree, there is no requirement to complete another. Many students are listed as second degree students for the purposes of receiving Federal Aid and don't end up completing the degree once prerequisites are satisfied. As others have suggested, you should contact your school, but long as the their required incoming prerequisites are satisfied, I doubt they'll care.

As an aside, I was somewhat confused by your statement than, "a second BS will not be conferred. it will just show on my transcript." What does that mean? Is track two a certificate program as opposed to a second BS? Again, at the end of the day, I don't think this will matter. Having had the opportunity to actually speak with some medical admissions officers, it seems like much of the neurosis fostered by SDN is not warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for your response. Track two is not a certificate program per se, but I guess its just the way they enter you in the system. If you are under track 1, you get a BS with this particular allied health program. If you go under track two, all the classes get listed under your primary BS, but it still shows that you're enrolled into their BS program on your transcript. Regardless of which track you take, you still have to sit for a board exam to be able to go in to this particular allied healthcare profession.

I probably wouldn't be so worried other than the fact that the med school portal page it says *All degrees must be conferred*. It adds to my anxiety of them thinking that I lied in the first place on my AMCAS, rather than me not realizing that I was placed on an alternative track for this program.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to comeback and thank everyone for their responses, and to update everyone. I spoke with the office and they were very kind and never-minded the issue. I feel kinda silly for stressing out so much.

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: 1 user