1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

I don't know what to do!!!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Mamona, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Mamona

Pre-Dental
    Yesterday I took my first mock test from the Kaplan blue book, and I did terrible!!!! I've being studying for the past 4 weeks, mainly reading and concentrating in bio, but I have not finished APcliff, yet. I am just reviewing some chapter and reading also Princeton review MCAT, to become familiar with some terms.... Gchem I am almost done with Princeton Review (PR), but I have not made any practice exercise, just the examples present in the chapter. I definitely need more practice exercise.... Organic I have not even started. PAT the 3D (first part) is killing me, I am very good with TFE but at the same time I am running out of time. RC my god!!!! I run out of time and I couldn't read the last passage (this stresses me out; because everybody says Kaplan is the easiest test for this section). Math, I have not started in that section either and I am in horrible shape.
    I was so anxious, sad, stress, etc I am planning on taking my test on August 1st but yesterday I felt like I don’t have enough time to put all this in my head. I am studying 6-7 hours every day for the last 4 weeks, but it seems I have moved at a very slow pace….
    I think my main problem is not timing myself when taking tests. I did the destroyer biology part and I did very good over all, but I did it without timing…… so I need to learn how to work under the pressure of time. Reviewing my biology mistakes yesterday, I realize it was just that my nerves were getting the best of me, I knew the answers, but I couldn’t concentrate…..
    Today I am trying to go back into the routine, but I’m still having that feeling of insecurity and frustration…..

My scores (Kaplan BB paper)
    BIO 18
    GC 15
    OC 12
    PAT 17
    RC 16
    QR 9

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Simiam

Dental Student
    Here's my advice...

Sciences: Make flash cards of all important reactions, trends, definitions, diagrams. Memorize and Understand the reasoning behind them.

PAT: Learn the simple ideas given by Kaplan. IE for TFE count lines, Keyhole- watch the angles and projections...Practice Practice practice

RC: DONT do the Kaplan method it is useless. Read the Question only, find the answer. move to next question, by the third or fourth question (6-7min in) you should have the general idea of the passage. Practice reading fast and looking for answers.

QR: I personally feel like all of the equations and methods taught in Kaplan will be sufficient, you just need to master your timing. In order to do this you have to do tons of practice. Get the hang of figuring out what the question is asking quickly. Look for shortcuts on how to answer problems...

Keep studying, don't give up, keep practicing. The more you expose yourself to it the better you will do.

4. Mamona

Pre-Dental
    Thanks Simiam I am feeling better this forum is so good and there is a lot of wonderful people :)

5. DCRedskinsRule

Resident [Any Field]

I don't mean to be facetious but do you have the score to back up that claim? I actually thought the Kaplan method was incredibly useful and it helped me...Only criticism is that Kaplan didn't emphasize the mood/tone/main idea questions as much as they should have...

6. Hugh Mannity

Pre-Dental
    The consensus on this forum is that Kaplan's method is very poor for the DAT. It is very time consuming and time is not on your side during the DAT. For scientific articles, most people say go straight for the questions, which is what I did and I exceeded what I wanted for that section.