I dont think I can ever become a DR, because of this mcat. Here is my problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to score pass 22 or 23!!!! I seriously tried everything!! I give up!! I got a 22 on the actual test. I'm retaking it. I used the all the recommended books and followed SD2ed's plan. Those of you getting higher than a 30 are my heroes!! What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Analyze where you're going wrong. Are you too analytic? I found taking a step back from the problem's information and focusing on the main idea seemed to help. You don't need to "solve" every math problem... rounding numbers helps, a lot.

I haven't taken the exam yet, but I'm studying 5 nights a week until sept... then 6 nights a week.

It's interesting, to say the least.

I wish you good luck.

I did not take the MCAT yet and I am starting to studying now but first you need to identify if your score is a result of lack of content review or critical thinking skills.

I did not take the MCAT yet and I am starting to studying now but first you need to identify if your score is a result of lack of content review or critical thinking skills.

I think it is lack of critical thinking skills. I did a lot of FLs and practice passages, but my score does not seem to improve. How can I better my critical thinking skills? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a class and stop taking FL. If you're scoring that low you have problems beyond critical thinking. You really need to review.

Think of it like this...

MCAT will be nothing compared to what you will have to face in medical school

I think it is lack of critical thinking skills. I did a lot of FLs and practice passages, but my score does not seem to improve. How can I better my critical thinking skills? :(

How did you do on the FL's? If you were scoring low 20's then obviously hoping for a 30 on the real thing was irrational and you need to identify your weaknesses. If you were scoring 30+ then maybe you have really bad test anxiety. Either way I would look into taking a class or getting a tutor, you need to prepare differently.

Good luck!

Are you doing a good enough job going over the things you get wrong? I know that I personally have a tendency to grade my practice tests, look at what I got wrong, then move on because I was too distressed about it to actually try to analyze why I got it wrong. Then I realized I was never going to improve if I didn't take the time to break it down and relearn whatever it was I was missing. Hope this helps!

How did you do in your pre-reqs: biology, chemistry, physics, and ochem?

Low science scores (I'm assuming ~7) usually indicate a poor grasp of fundamental concepts and/or a flawed approach to thinking about the MCAT.

I used the all the recommended books and followed SD2ed's plan

How well did you understand the materials as you went through them? How did you do on the practice passages?

Do yourself a favor and don't do AAMC FL's just yet. Doing them before you're fully prepared will render them useless later, when you really need them.

How did you do in your pre-reqs: biology, chemistry, physics, and ochem?

Low science scores (I'm assuming ~7) usually indicate a poor grasp of fundamental concepts and/or a flawed approach to thinking about the MCAT.

How well did you understand the materials as you went through them? How did you do on the practice passages?

Do yourself a favor and don't do AAMC FL's just yet. Doing them before you're fully prepared will render them useless later, when you really need them.

I guess I do need to brush up on the fundamentals. Well, now I have to develop a study plan again/ Do you guys any suggestions as how I should set up this study plan? Redo Sd2ed's plan?

I guess I do need to brush up on the fundamentals. Well, now I have to develop a study plan again/ Do you guys any suggestions as how I should set up this study plan? Redo Sd2ed's plan?

I also need bio practice passages. The only practice I did was with EK 1001. And for the fundamentals, do you suggest I complete EK's 1001 books?

I also need bio practice passages. The only practice I did was with EK 1001. And for the fundamentals, do you suggest I complete EK's 1001 books?

I would highly suggest The Berkeley Review for passages (i know its a chunk of money but I think its worth it). It really helped me developed the critical thinking skills for bio/ochem (can't speak of PS because i didn't use it but it got great reviews as well).

In my opinion, EK 1001 books are good to check to see if you have the fundamentals down or hone in on fundamentals. I wouldn't use it as my primary source for practice.

Another tip for MCAT success: You need to believe in yourself! You can do well enough on the MCAT for medical school:)

always believe in yourself and never give up. i know friends who have scored similar and have ended with a 30+ score on the retake. Know your concepts well and practice! you can get a 30+ score! :)

You can actually study for the MCAT. Spend some time studying for it. If you were able to get a 3.8+ GPA there should be no reason to score less than a 30 unless you didn't spend the time to study.

I'm surprised SN2's plan didn't work for you. 3 months is a long time to end up with a 22. I think you skimmed things over or didn't understand them when you think you did. What were your practice tests like?

A 22 could not have been a 10+ point drop...you have to identify your weaknesses as youre studying, not hope for an MCAT geared to your strengths.

Take a class and stop taking FL. If you're scoring that low you have problems beyond critical thinking. You really need to review.

+123121323

When you reach the upper 20's or low 30's, you can analyze your test taking ability. You, on the other hand, need to learn the material. The MCAT is a very difficult test, but like others have stated, it is nothing like the exams you will be faced with in medical school.

If you truly have studied to you maximum capabilities and you have gotten all the help you can find, then I would reconsider medical school. All the passion in the world can't make up for an inability to comprehend topics.

What did you score on the FL's man? If it was high its test anxiety, if it was low you don't have a handle on the material.

I would get the EK Bio, I think that'll give you more content info than the 1001 questions will personally. Both together would be even better

what you need to do is open up ur prereq textbooks and learn the fundamentals again. 22-23 just mean you proabaly get Cs in those classes, in which case, you should think twice about applying to med school. or ur school is just incredibly easy. Content alone should get you a 20 in BS and PS.
These review texts book are only useful for...review. and you cant review something that you didnt learn in the first place.