I failed my Midterm :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

future_dentist

Well I just took Kaplan midterm online.....for the first time I sat down for 4.5 hrs straight to take it...because I am taking DAT on Aug 25th...which is almost here.....and I did really bad....in all sections....

Academic Average 14.13
> Survey Of Natural Sciences 15.40
- Biology 16
- General Chemistry 14
- Organic Chemistry 16
> Reading Comprehension 14
> Quantitative Reasoning 13
Perceptual Ability Test 17

I ran out of time on RC, QR and PAT....

I have been studying 4 to 5 hrs almost daliy this whole July....Please suggest something....I will review the test after eating something....

I know those score sucks and I am really down....any other methods u guys used to study which I am not using....

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should commit more time on DAT starting from now on. I think it's just that u havent studied enough to get a good score.

allstardentist said:
I think you should commit more time on DAT starting from now on. I think it's just that u havent studied enough to get a good score.

Wow... 4-5 hours daily is kind of a lot in my opinion. My suggestion would be to work more on the strategy of the test. Check out what you got wrong and think back to when you were taking the test and WHY you got it wrong. If it was because you didn't know the answer then fine, study more science. But if it was because you ran out of time or didn't understand the question, etc then review kaplan's strategies for each section. There is no way that studying more is going to help improve RC for example so I think you're either just psyched out by the test or not attacking it the proper way.

When you've done all that, remember that kaplan always scores lower than the real thing. You'll be fine :)

Hey I think the best thing is just to study study and take notes on the material you read in kaplan. if you have questions supplement it with like notes from class or stuff online, or whatever. Dont just read it and say to yourself you know it, try to do problems, subject tests, whatever you can find to apply what you've read.

Just study and mememorzie kaplan stuff and fill it in with outside material when you have any questions about it. If you do this, ull be good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took notes from Kaplan&EK Bio,and for orgo and gchem just from Kaplan. Now,with every subject test and full-length test I take, I reread&take notes on the topics that I miss. I figure by d-day I'll have seen the stuff I'm weak on like 10e7 times and I'll be okay. You have to do what works for you,though.

Thank u so much for reply guys....I really appericate it.....yeah I gotta take notes and lots of it....cause...when I read it seems i know it all and during test....i choosed wrong answers without even reading and understanding the whole question....even though i knew the correct answers....

U guys think i'll be ready in a month????

future_dentist said:
Thank u so much for reply guys....I really appericate it.....yeah I gotta take notes and lots of it....cause...when I read it seems i know it all and during test....i choosed wrong answers without even reading and understanding the whole question....even though i knew the correct answers....

U guys think i'll be ready in a month????
4-5 hours a day is fine and dandy, but it is not the quantity but the quality. I would focus on old exmas and get use to the types of questions they ask and the way they ask them. Also, if there is a particular subject you continue to get wrong on different practice exams eg. krebs cycle, make sure to use your school textbook (or another refernce)and just read that section in addition to the kaplan supplemental study aides.

A month is a long time if you make the most of it. Good luck, I am sure you will be fine.

future_dentist said:
Well I just took Kaplan midterm online.....for the first time I sat down for 4.5 hrs straight to take it...because I am taking DAT on Aug 25th...which is almost here.....and I did really bad....in all sections....

Academic Average 14.13
> Survey Of Natural Sciences 15.40
- Biology 16
- General Chemistry 14
- Organic Chemistry 16
> Reading Comprehension 14
> Quantitative Reasoning 13
Perceptual Ability Test 17

I ran out of time on RC, QR and PAT....

I have been studying 4 to 5 hrs almost daliy this whole July....Please suggest something....I will review the test after eating something....

I know those score sucks and I am really down....any other methods u guys used to study which I am not using....

That's not too bad. Just keep studying. By the time Aug. 25th rolls around, you'll be ready. I had similar scores to yours on the midterm. My test is in 1 week.

when you're studying, make sure you fully understand the stuff before moving on, it's amazing how fast we forget material we studied just a few days, or hours ago.

Thanks guys....U people r so right....it is so amazing that how I forget stuff learnt/reviewed like two days ago.....I really feel stupid....oh well gotta suck it up and gotta be ready....