This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, relax. You're a freshman. The most important part of freshman year is adjusting to college and starting off strong in classes. Many people (including myself) didn't start doing any activities until sophomore and even junior year. My advice is to avoid comparing yourself to other people, and if it helps get off SDN until you're applying because being on here will make it worse lol.

Reactions: 2 users
If you’re doing well in classes, get involved in one thing that you can do a few hours per week. Add something else next semester, then another thing. Doing 5 hours of volunteer work once a week over 2-3 years shows commitment, and you’ll be surprised how easy it is to rack up 100-200 hours a year volunteering in a way that doesn’t take over your whole schedule.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Relax, getting a 4.0 and being involved at a food pantry is a great start. Grades are the MOST important in the beginning to get your study flow down. Now you can start adding over the next year clinical stuff/shadowing etc.

Remember all those applications you see posted here by people have been accumulated over years - you can't accomplish that all instantly. Don't let that warp your sense of accomplishment and goal-setting.

If it makes you feel better I did like 5 hours of volunteering total during freshman year and my GPA was nowhere near yours.

Reactions: 1 users
You're actually on a head start ahead of too many people if you're at a 4.0 post year 1 of undergrad. Which is a good thing. Moving forward, you can add things to your schedule as you see fit.

When you get doubts/fears in your head, you can
1. rebut them, or
2. acknowledge them to be true, and feel the emotion that comes with it without doing anything. then step back and objectively judge your situation. make adjustments if you think it's appropriate.

Reactions: 1 user