I find it ironic how AACOM implements major policy change overnight, without any prior warning.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victim1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find it ironic how in an effort to be more like the AAMC, AACOM implements major policy change overnight - without any prior warning whatsoever.

Let’s take the new MCAT for example. If I remember correctly, I got notice of the change via email, twitter, facebook, premed advisor, and an array of other channels, all over a year in advance of the change. It is self evident that the AAMC has regard for applicants. And rightly so, applicants invest an astronomical amount of time, money, and energy on the process.

Now let’s take a look at the grade replacement repeal. I found out via email that a decade’s old policy is being repealed, effective immediately. Zero concern for the thousands of dollars spent on repeats, or the hundreds of hours spent on on those repeats, or for the destruction of careful planning around AACOM policies by students. Had I not been on the email list, I’d probably not learn of the change until May/June.

I left my job, stressing my finances and family to take those repeats, and these are not even the most severe decisions I made based on AACOM policy. That was a selfish and irresponsible move AACOM. I would have been more than happy with some kind of grace period.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to nit-pick, but we need to revisit the definition of the word "ironic"

Reactions: 14 users
Where is the irony?

Edit: irony is in the first sentence lol.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think he is trying to say that the whole reason the policy change was implemented was "transparency" however, the execution of the policy change was the exact opposite of its targeted goal. Compared to the actual transparency AAMC showed when implementing a change to the MCAT.

Based on that the irony would be that the result of lack of transparency (in this case proper notification) is the exact opposite of its intended goal...

I did not find it that difficult to follow TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know about it being ironic, but it sure is crappy!

And also I recall being warned about the new mcat in 2011/2012

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about it being ironic, but it sure is crappy!

And also I recall be warned about the new mcat in 2011/2012

I think that's the point he is making. I agree the implementation was well beyond reasonable.

noun iro·ny \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\: a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity

There are many ways to interpret and use the word. In this case, and in the way I have explained, it is a correct interpretation. In the context of notification, The actual result of implementation was non transparency whereas the expected result (root cause for the entire change of policy) would have been transparency.

The reality is that it is neither here nor there, the way it was done was deplorable, and that seems to be something we can all agree on.

noun iro·ny \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\: a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity

There are many ways to interpret and use the word. In this case, and in the way I have explained, it is a correct interpretation. In the context of notification, The actual result of implementation was non transparency whereas the expected result (root cause for the entire change of policy) would have been transparency.

The reality is that it is neither here nor there, the way it was done was deplorable, and that seems to be something we can all agree on.

Maybe these are the deplorable Hilary was speaking of

Maybe these are the deplorable Hilary was speaking of

I had to look to see if I made a spelling error haha. Anyways I wish I knew what you were referring to but I do not keep up with politics sorry! Haha

Last edited:
Can we please stop taking about OP's misuse of the word "irony" and discuss what he's actually getting at?

Absolutely despicable what AACOM did. So grateful I applied when I did (even though I didn't utilize grade replacement, I feel like competition would have increased with the new policy)

I understand why it's ironic, which is odd why a lot of people keep pointing out the word lol
AACOMAS is trying to be like ACMS, Hence make DO more like MD, follow their ways. However in following their grading policy, they are doing it in a fashion that is completely opposite in comparison to how ACMS would conduct their change. Hence while following their example, they are contradicting the example they are choosing to follow.
Anyways, I also find the change a blind sight to people who used grade replacement. I just don't understand AACOMAS logic. If you want to change the policy, thats fine, just give them at least a 1 year notice so people who have been spending money have a chance to not waste all their time.

I mean most people don't just plan to go to medical school at the spur of a moment. It's something that I meticulously planned my life around, my money around and nonetheless my time. I find it ironic that they'd implement a policy that could have a dramatic effect on some applicants without any notice. LOL I could've spent the past two years planning otherwise, but I may be in the minority of applicants. Oh well