I goofed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was advised by a resident in my favorite program to tell the PD at that program which program I was going to rank 1: his. He reacted defensively as though he did not believe me...oh well :(

Members don't see this ad.

huh? I don't understand. did you tell the PD you were ranking his/her program #1? and if so, why would someone act defensively? now if what you are saying is that your favorite program is program A and you told the PD for program B that you are ranking program A #1 then that was probably a bad idea. As a general rule, I don't mention my potential rank list to any PD's. I let them know I am interested in other ways and when the time comes, my IM dept chair has agreed to call my #1 program on my behalf.

So what did the PD say?

Good luck and I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think that as applicants we put way too much stock in what the PD's think of us during such brief encounters.

The PD was probabaly insecure and felt as though the applicant was putting him on the spot, looking for an 'I Love You' in return (remember Seinfeld?).

Members don't see this ad :)
April04 said:
huh? I don't understand. did you tell the PD you were ranking his/her program #1? and if so, why would someone act defensively? now if what you are saying is that your favorite program is program A and you told the PD for program B that you are ranking program A #1 then that was probably a bad idea. As a general rule, I don't mention my potential rank list to any PD's. I let them know I am interested in other ways and when the time comes, my IM dept chair has agreed to call my #1 program on my behalf.

So what did the PD say?

Good luck and I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think that as applicants we put way too much stock in what the PD's think of us during such brief encounters.
Hi April. So when is "the right time" for chairman to call PD on our behalf?

Pili said:
Hi April. So when is "the right time" for chairman to call PD on our behalf?

after you finish your interviews and have decided what your number 1 is.

bof said:
after you finish your interviews and have decided what your number 1 is.
Well I have already decided what my number one is, so I guess it was the right time for me...

Hi Pili,
I agree with bof, the right time to let the PD know you are interested is when you know what your number one program is. So you didn't do anything wrong.

I just have mixed feelings about directly telling the PD that I am ranking his/her program #1. I'd rather have my chairman do it. I would probably mess it up if I tried to do it myself.

just my two cents. good luck! you appear to be an excellent candidate.

take care