I got a C+ in OChem 1, should I retake it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted925864

Hi! This is my first post here, so I apologize if I make any mistakes. I'm going into my 4th year of undergrad out of 5 (weird school system) to get a B.S. in environmental science. My current cGPA is a 3.45, but with an upward trend. I got a C- in Chem 101, retook it, and got an A (struggled with mental health freshman year). I got a C+ in Organic Chem 1. My academic adviser said it looks bad to retake too many classes, and that I should not retake it since I retook Chem 101. My concerns with this are that I might not do well in OChem 2 and OChem lab, as well as the organic section on the MCAT. I bought the book "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" and am going through it this summer. My school does not replace old grades with new grades, so both would appear on my transcript if I retook it.

Any thoughts on retaking vs. continuing with a C+?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I'd just try my hardest to get an "A" in orgo 2, then that will prove you can handle orgo.

However, what I actually did (I was in the same situation as you except with orgo 2), was that I retook orgo 2 in the summer and got an "A". It seemed efficient to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! This is my first post here, so I apologize if I make any mistakes. I'm going into my 4th year of undergrad out of 5 (weird school system) to get a B.S. in environmental science. My current cGPA is a 3.45, but with an upward trend. I got a C- in Chem 101, retook it, and got an A (struggled with mental health freshman year). I got a C+ in Organic Chem 1. My academic adviser said it looks bad to retake too many classes, and that I should not retake it since I retook Chem 101. My concerns with this are that I might not do well in OChem 2 and OChem lab, as well as the organic section on the MCAT. I bought the book "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" and am going through it this summer. My school does not replace old grades with new grades, so both would appear on my transcript if I retook it.

Dont retake, just get a better grade in second semester

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm worried that I won't be able to do well in the second semester because I don't have a strong base in the Orgo 1 material, but I'll do my best and maybe look into tutors to do better in 2.

How can we expect you to do foot and ankle surgery if you don't know what a Markovnikov's addition is?!

I have a masters degree in organic chemistry.

I've heard physicians tell their patients about the medicine they're being prescribed, and would say the wrong functional group.

It killed me but I didn't say anything.

No one cares. Pod is not that strict/stringent to get into. Don't re-take anything. Also, the MCAT isn't too Ochem heavy. If you're using Khan or any other mcat prep thingy, you'll get enough info/practice to cover the basics. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 users
No one cares. Pod is not that strict/stringent to get into. Don't re-take anything. Also, the MCAT isn't too Ochem heavy. If you're using Khan or any other mcat prep thingy, you'll get enough info/practice to cover the basics. Don't worry about it.

There's a difference between "hard to get accepted" and "hard to excel in the courses".

Getting into an astrophysics PhD is not that hard to get into. You could probably have a 3.0 GPA in astrophysics undergrad. with only research as your EC and you could get accepted into an astrophysics PhD.

HOWEVER, that astrophysics PhD is going to be one hell of hard degree to finish out.

Same is with Podiatry schools in that it may not be hard to get accepted, but definitely as hard as medical to finish.

It's actually non-traditional thinking that something should be hard to get accepted to, and easier to finish out. I think this is a problem with traditional medical schools.

You should prove your chops in the program, not "only" before it.

Last edited:
There's a lot of stuff in practice that you don't need to know for 99% of what you do, and can get by with knowing only the important stuff, but spending extra time to familiarize and memorize the things you only need to use 1% of the time puts you a step above the rest. You won't know how you will need or use the information you are studying now, but you'll be glad that when you need it that you've studied hard for it.

I would really recommend not to spend more money and time retaking this class unless you are not sure you might want to go MD. Other than that I can’t see why you would want to retake it unless you find the subject really interesting. I think it’s safe to say a 3.0 science GPA is enough to meet pod schools GPA expectation to be accepted. Also, if I remember correctly orgo2 is more of the same continuation of last chapters in orgo1. Meaning you’ll be learning more reaction mechanisms so I think so long you understand how to read these and what’s happening, memorize them, and know your functional groups, I really don’t see how you can perform any differently with or without retaking orgo1. Just my two cents.

There are some pod schools that don’t require orgo 2, and will instead accept biochem