I guess DO bias is real in OB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was looking at the current Excel sheet. There are students who have barely broken 200 with interviews at Ivys. There are DOs with over 240 on USMLE AND research, etc, who have a few interviews at places I've never heard of.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah OB is tough to break for DOs and IMGs.

i noticed if dos do get interviews they tend to be male [which is interesting bc ive heard programs will offer interviews to males more now that there is a shortage of them in the field]

Members don't see this ad :)
Was looking at the current Excel sheet. There are students who have barely broken 200 with interviews at Ivys. There are DOs with over 240 on USMLE AND research, etc, who have a few interviews at places I've never heard of.
hey--what excel sheet are you referring to?!

I skimmed the excel sheet and it seems there are DOs with < 210 still getting a significant amount of interviews, which is interesting. But I agree, it seems like the world of academia is definitely tough to break into.

Yes, there is a bias against DOs in academic programs in general.

I was a fellow at an academic program and did some resident interviewing so had a superficial overview of the process

The program gave a few courtesy interviews to DOs who did away rotations at one of the affiliated hospitals but I heard the assistant PD tell me point blank they were not going to match with them.

All things being equal, for a lot of these academic programs, MD > DO. Hell, even if the MD is weaker they will still lean towards them.

Not much you can do about it at this point. It will slowly change but that will require DOs to get involved in academia to a certain degree.

Yes, there is a bias against DOs in academic programs in general.

I was a fellow at an academic program and did some resident interviewing so had a superficial overview of the process

The program gave a few courtesy interviews to DOs who did away rotations at one of the affiliated hospitals but I heard the assistant PD tell me point blank they were not going to match with them.

All things being equal, for a lot of these academic programs, MD > DO. Hell, even if the MD is weaker they will still lean towards them.

Not much you can do about it at this point. It will slowly change but that will require DOs to get involved in academia to a certain degree.
>Academia requires decent residency to break into
>decent residency requires MD
>"DOs should be more involved in academia to receive stigma!"

>Academia requires decent residency to break into
>decent residency requires MD
>"DOs should be more involved in academia to receive stigma!"

More like being trying to be faculty. Plenty of generalist positions that are associated with academic centers. Where I trained had at least one Caribbean grad who was faculty.

Also being involved in a national level with ACOG and getting board certified under the ABOG instead of the DO version would be a start.

What is so bad about being DO in OB? OMT can actually be useful for pregnancy. It is so odd that this is happening.

Hell, even if the MD is weaker they will still lean towards them.
If they are that stupid to do things like this I wonder what patient care looks like. Doesn't seem like good decision making but hey, who am I to say anything :shrug:

What is so bad about being DO in OB? OMT can actually be useful for pregnancy. It is so odd that this is happening.

MDs don't care about OMT and neither do a portion of DOs. Having that skill brings nothing to the equation especially in the eyes of a PD.

There is nothing inherently wrong with being a DO. There is just somewhat of a stigma associated with it in the eyes of some programs. Certain old school academic programs are just not interested in matching DOs in general.

In due time this will probably improve but it will take a while.

If they are that stupid to do things like this I wonder what patient care looks like. Doesn't seem like good decision making but hey, who am I to say anything :shrug:

No one is saying it's good. It's shortsighted but PDs are looking for people who will complete their training and pass their board exams. They want "known commodities" (people from well known programs etc) . Some are willing to gamble on an unknown product.

I did residency at a community program and applied for fellowship which are at academic centers. I had to deal with the stigma of coming from a community program and the thought I wasn't as bright as my academic counterparts.

At one of my interviews I was pimped on clinical scenarios while the other candidates (from academic programs) had pretty low key interviews. This is even taking into account my ITE scores were very high.