I had a dozen professors during pharm and microbio...

Started by meister
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Haha. Is this thread supposed to attract in PharmD teachers =p?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you can teach at a med school with your pharm.d.

I think it's important we be as visible as possible to med students and medical residents. teaching them that we're helpful and knowledgable is some of the best job security out there
 
I wish there were a sticky or some more info available on SDN about how to get into academia with a PharmD, but no PhD...Being a clinical professor is a fairly sweet gig; from what I've noticed, there is little emphasis on research productivity whereas if you are a non-clinical "regular" Phd professor (which I strongly considered doing until recently), you are under a lot of pressure to produce (publish or perish).
 
Umm... since none of the three programs have any true emphasis on teaching their students how to teach (although some grad schools require their students to be TAs), I don't think you can really say one group of people produces better teachers than another.
 
So, this thread wasn't what I was expecting it to be from reading the title. I just want to say that I have 26 professors this semester in my one pharmacotherapy course. It's pretty nuts.
 
So, this thread wasn't what I was expecting it to be from reading the title. I just want to say that I have 26 professors this semester in my one pharmacotherapy course. It's pretty nuts.

What? 26, in one semester?! That *is* nuts. What school is that? What is the reason/purpose for that? Are most of them guest lecturers as part of a special topics series?
 
Univ. of Georgia- The purpose is that we're supposed to be getting the faculty member with the greatest expertise/experience in the disease state we're learning about. The idea sounds good in theory, but the problem for students is that we never can get accustomed to the teaching/testing style since it changes constantly (even sometimes in the same day!).
 
It didn't bother me having so many different teachers. Not every person you deal with in the real world will have the same style, you need to be flexible.
 
it's also a good way to see the teaching style of the entire faculty. If someone doesn't convey information well, would you want to spend an entire month on rotation with them?
 
it's also a good way to see the teaching style of the entire faculty. If someone doesn't convey information well, would you want to spend an entire month on rotation with them?

Interesting you should bring that up. I won't go into specifics since I've already said what school I go to, but yeah this exact situation has already occurred and it's only the second week of class! Too bad I have to pick rotations next week.