I had a setback; will I still be able to apply?

Started by Michou
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Michou

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

I’ll be 28 this fall. I have just overcome 1-year of unemployment by accepting an ED Tech position.

The reason for my 1-year unemployment was due to my scribing job. I had very severe carpal tunnel that impaired my ability to continue working efficiently after 1.5 years. After leaving the position, the job that I had lined up fell through leaving me unemployed. Then, the application to signup for my local EMT course closed within 1 day since they had a high volume of applications (during summer). By fall 2019, I was in the course after signing up within hours of the application opening. Now, I’ll be starting as an ED Tech to join the fight against COVID-19. Given this, I wonder if I still have a shot with applying to medical school? I applied for work virtually everywhere and I finally received two job offers this past March.

Just to go over my story: (3.55c, 3.43 sci GPA) BS, biology (‘16).

150 hrs ED Volunteer
300 hrs summer research project
1780 hrs AmeriCorps
300 hrs Afterschool teacher
1,000 hrs medical Scribe
200 hrs (+30 hrs training) crisis counseling
EMT course 300 instruction hrs + 48 clinical hours

The above listed are my experiences thus far. I took the MCAT two years ago and got a 497 due to very low yield studying. I’m in a better headspace and would love to try again but I don’t want this to be futile.
 
Last edited:
Hello All,

I’ll be 28 this fall. I have just overcome 1-year of unemployment by accepting an ED Tech position.

The reason for my 1-year unemployment was due to my scribing job. I had very severe carpal tunnel that impaired my ability to continue working efficiently after 1.5 years. After leaving the position, the job that I had lined up fell through leaving me unemployed. Then, the application to signup for my local EMT course closed within 1 day since they had a high volume of applications (during summer). By fall 2019, I was in the course after signing up within hours of the application opening. Now, I’ll be starting as an ED Tech to join the fight against COVID-19. Given this, I wonder if I still have a shot with applying to medical school? I applied for work virtually everywhere and I finally received two job offers this past March.

Just to go over my story: (3.55c, 3.43 sci GPA) BS, biology (‘16).

150 hrs ED Volunteer
300 hrs summer research project
1780 hrs AmeriCorps
300 hrs Afterschool teacher
1,000 hrs medical Scribe
200 hrs (+30 hrs training) crisis counseling
EMT course 300 instruction hrs + 48 clinical hours

The above listed are my experiences thus far. I took the MCAT two years ago and got a 497 due to very low yield studying. I’m in a better headspace and would love to try again but I don’t want this to be futile.
With a 497 MCAT, I can't recommend applying to med school. You're ina major risk zone for failing out and/or failing Boards.

Your ECs are lovely. Retake the MCAT, but only when you're 100% ready for it.
 
I'm not sure if re-taking the MCAT is worth it, if you aren't scoring 500+ on the practice tests. Apply broadly--be sure to include DO schools as they look at the whole picture--and make sure that your LORs are solid.

The MCAT isn't everything, and there are other ways to demonstrate that you can succeed in med school. Can you take a course (like Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.) to boost your MCAT score? It's probably a good investment if you're sure that medicine is for you.

You want to make sure that your application is not lacking in any area--and the two most important factors for weeding out apps are GPA & MCAT. This is how schools sort through the thousands of applications that they receive every year, before looking at the rest of one's application.

Great extracurricular activities and well-rounded app, btw. Good luck! 🙂
 
Last edited: