I had my SGU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestcoastMedicine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

LHUEMT911 said:
Hey guys,

Well I had my SGU interview the day after thanksgiving. It was fairly informal and stressfree. I met an alumni at a Starbucks in Manhattan and had a 10 minute writing essay. After that he asked me questions off of a sheet which he recorded my responses and then I got to ask him anything I wanted to know about the school. It was a great experience and I felt that I did fairly well. He said the adcom meets twice a month, after which I will get a letter in the mail telling me the decision that they reached.

:)

I just had mine last week. Good luck by the way :)
Did he say what days of the month do the adcoms meet? I cant wait any longer lol

He didnt specify which dates, sorry, let me know what they tell you. What semester were you planning to start, Fall 05?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there,

I am currently an SGU student and I remember how much I wanted to get accepted to SGU when I had my interview. Thankfully everything worked out and I hope the same happens for you.

Me!

LHUEMT911 said:
Hey guys,

Well I had my SGU interview the day after thanksgiving. It was fairly informal and stressfree. I met an alumni at a Starbucks in Manhattan and had a 10 minute writing essay. After that he asked me questions off of a sheet which he recorded my responses and then I got to ask him anything I wanted to know about the school. It was a great experience and I felt that I did fairly well. He said the adcom meets twice a month, after which I will get a letter in the mail telling me the decision that they reached.

I had my interview the day after thanksgiving weekend also. I have not heard from them since the interview and i am so anxious to know if I have been accepted. Please let me know if they have made decision in your case yet.

Hello LHUEMT911,

Congratulations on your SGU interview. My interview is coming up this Wednesday. Can you please give a bit more detail about how your interview went. What types of questions did he ask you? What was the essay about? How long did the interview last?

So many questions....so little time.
Many thanks,
Melky

LHUEMT911 said:
Hey guys,

congratulations.

You are on your way to becoming a doctor. Work hard. Study hard. You will make it.

EH.

Well I have still not heard from SGU, I just graduated this december so they should be receiving my transcript this week, which, I believe is what was holding up their decision. However, in the meantime I have been accepted to 3 US Osteopathic Medical Schools, now I am in a bind, what to do what to do, I am leaning towards going to a US DO school..........

LHUEMT911 said:
Well I have still not heard from SGU, I just graduated this december so they should be receiving my transcript this week, which, I believe is what was holding up their decision. However, in the meantime I have been accepted to 3 US Osteopathic Medical Schools, now I am in a bind, what to do what to do, I am leaning towards going to a US DO school..........

Go DO. If you're interested in primary care, you'll have a much easier time getting into residency. Good luck.

If it were i, the decision would boil down to weighing: 1) Caribbean vs. DO stigma (and allo. vs. osteo. 'philosophy') 2) living in tropics for a couple years (big bonus in my book) 3) extra effort needed from St. G's to get residency in a competitive specialty (increase in effort is almost trivial if you want primary care) 4) extra cost of Caribbean 5) if you want to practice outside of US/Canada (harder for DO).

What I did do: don't think too hard until knowing all the chips on the table -- it's really hard to fairly compare a hypothetical to a known.

-pitman

As a MS 4 applying for the surg match this year, and coming out of SGU, here's some advice...

TRY AS DAMN F'ING HARD AS YOU CAN TO GET INTO A US SCHOOL.

Sit out a year, ass kiss, whatever, it will make your life so much easier. I did well at SGU (3.47 GPA, top 1/3 of my class, good clinical grades, blah blah) and will be very nervous come this March. I have a decent number of interviews, and like a couple, but man I wish that I had more.

Those that come from a US school, with similar numbers like mine, are getting great interviews at academic programs. SGU (or any other foreign school "forgets" to mention all this good stuff) has a great rep, but if you want a competitive residency you better: 1. Score 230's on both Steps, or 2. Go to a US school and maintain a 3.30 GPA.

Good luck you y'all.

shahkg said:
As a MS 4 applying for the surg match this year, and coming out of SGU, here's some advice...

TRY AS DAMN F'ING HARD AS YOU CAN TO GET INTO A US SCHOOL.

Sit out a year, ass kiss, whatever, it will make your life so much easier. I did well at SGU (3.47 GPA, top 1/3 of my class, good clinical grades, blah blah) and will be very nervous come this March. I have a decent number of interviews, and like a couple, but man I wish that I had more.

Those that come from a US school, with similar numbers like mine, are getting great interviews at academic programs. SGU (or any other foreign school "forgets" to mention all this good stuff) has a great rep, but if you want a competitive residency you better: 1. Score 230's on both Steps, or 2. Go to a US school and maintain a 3.30 GPA.

Good luck you y'all.

I have heard similar stories. A friend of mine went to the Carib and did well (90th %ile on boards) but was not getting the interviews that others with similar #'s in the US were.

I had my SGU interview on december 12, still have not heard anything. I am applying for the august pool, I have a gpa of 3.2 and MCAT of 26N: 10 PS;
6VB; 10 BS....I called the lady yesterday she said I will be hearing soon I hope that is good news, they really made me wait. I have heard from people at SGU that it not hard to get a residency in internal med., FP, pediatrics, even anasthesiology is not that bad, just the specialties like derm. surgery and radiology are tough. I looked at the residency list, some good hospitals people have gotten in2....we shall see

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my SGU interview on 12/8 for this Feburary's class. I found out on 1/12 that I was accepted to the august class and put on the waiting list for the feburary class. I took my name of the list and will probably be attending SGU in august.

Good luck

Hi
i am senior college 3.0/27mcat. trying to go to either india for medical college or carriban. what is my chance getting into carribean with these scores. i am graduating wakeforest university premedicine.

LHUEMT911 said:

Hi,

Has anyone gotten in for this august?

Farooq said:
Hi,

according to 2 posts above, someone did.

i interviewed on 1/18 and got an email 2/1 saying i was presented to the committee and decision will come soon.

*cross my fingers* PLEASE!!! i really want this

good luck to the rest of u

Farooq said:
Hi,

hi farooq

i've gotten in for this august. if you haven't already, you should check out the st. george's forum on www.valuemd.com. they have a thread for aug. '05 students (it's a little slow right now, but should pick up as it gets closer to august), as well as a lot of other good info on the school.

good luck to those still waiting to hear!

thechosenone said:
I had my SGU interview on december 12, still have not heard anything. I am applying for the august pool, I have a gpa of 3.2 and MCAT of 26N: 10 PS;
6VB; 10 BS....I called the lady yesterday she said I will be hearing soon I hope that is good news, they really made me wait. I have heard from people at SGU that it not hard to get a residency in internal med., FP, pediatrics, even anasthesiology is not that bad, just the specialties like derm. surgery and radiology are tough. I looked at the residency list, some good hospitals people have gotten in2....we shall see

What about emergency medicine?

Dr.Mantix said:
What about emergency medicine?

Emergency medicine seems to be getting more and more competitive (from what I've heard), but SGU students do get EM residencies. We'll have to wait and see what this year's match results show.

FINALLY GOT INTO SGU, letting you know I am turning it down, already set on PCOM

well congrats on both accpectances. I interviewed in Jan and got my accpectance last week. I was on the fence about applying to DO schools because I know I would get in. I forget which school it was but one of them extended their application deadline because they didn't have enough people to fill the seats. Its all about the DO vs MD and I think I'll take the MD just my personal opnion but good luck

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Emergency medicine seems to be getting more and more competitive (from what I've heard), but SGU students do get EM residencies. We'll have to wait and see what this year's match results show.
nah er is getting easier and easier. the mid 1990's it was tough. Good students are getting many interviews and matching. But you do have to be a decent student, not just scraping by.
As fo rthe primary care stuff; its very easy to get either DO or SGU (and probably most offshore schools). Ther eis no one right pathway; DO, SGU, Ross, AUC, etc, different things are best for different folks. Anyone who tells you otherwise either is ignorent of the full picture or is pressing an agenda. With one exception as mentioned above: if you do or reasonablyl can get into a US allopathic school in a reasonable amount of tim,l *do that*.

stephew said:
Ther eis no one right pathway; DO, SGU, Ross, AUC, etc, different things are best for different folks. Anyone who tells you otherwise either is ignorent of the full picture or is pressing an agenda.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Be very wary of anyone who tells you otherwise.

-Skip