I Hate Chemistry!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldmedgirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else hate chemistry? I am just wondering if it is possible to feel this way and still do well in pharmacy school. Should I choose a different career?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you like Biochemistry? I have found that pharmacy school seems to be more biochem related thus far.

Sorry, I can't answer your question since I am not a pharmacy student..
Which chemistry do you dislike? General? or organic? I think disliking Gen. Chemistry is not uncommon (although I liked it). But if you dislike org. chemistry, I would say try to really understand organic chemistry - you will fall in love with org. chem.

When I took my org. chem I, I didn't hate it..but I didn't like it much because it was an online course and the book was my only help. Professor didn't help at all. But then when I took Org. II.. the prof. was so good in explaining things..I truly enjoyed that course. So, two factors..professor and understanding.

Another thing is ..in pharmacy schools, all the chemistry would be related to different drugs. To me, that would be pretty fascinating. In org. Chemistry, we learn different techniques but there is no correlation to real word usage. So, from that point of view..once you start pharmacy school, you might find the chemistry there to be much more interesting.

I will stop my pep talk now..but hope you like chemistry as much as I do ..

oldmedgirl said:
Does anyone else hate chemistry? I am just wondering if it is possible to feel this way and still do well in pharmacy school. Should I choose a different career?

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel the same way!!! Honestly sometimes general chem can be interesting to me, but sometimes its not. Maybe it's because I'm frustrated with the whole transtition from high school to college (yes, i'm a first year if you didn't guess it). I came from a school where I was a big fish in a small pond and now at ucla I'm a really small fish in an ocean. I just had my first midterm today for my math and I didn't do too well even though the test was easy. The test was easy and i made stupid mistakes that could cost me my grade and it probably will since the average should be high for this midterm. After the test, I started to doubt whether I should be a science major or not, it was pretty depressing. However, I'm still going to keep trying because college is all about testing new waters. Keep trying with chem whether it be organic or general and remember you're not the only one...=)

oh man... dont like chemistry eh? don't worry who in the right mind like this junk anyway? i just want you to know though, pharmacy is absolute all chemistry well 80 percent. drugs are chemicals in case you didn't notice, and you will know everything about them. you may not like the chemistry but you better have a strong backgroud on them. it will be used constantly and if you dont know them you will be lost in pharmacy school and that is not technically a good thing. i know we hate it but sometimes we just have to suck it up. good luck.

oldmedgirl said:

You're not alone Oldmedgirl..I hate Chemistry myself...Organic, that is. I acutally loved General Chemistry and I thought Physics would be the hardest class for me just because I had a hard time with it but Organic Chem is just uugggghhhh...It's actually makin' me rethink my career focus...

Thanks for all the replies. I did well in general chemistry. It is organic chemistry that I am struggling with. I haven't taken biochemistry yet but I have a feeling I would enjoy it more and it would make more sense to me. I just tend to like everything that has more of a biological emphasis and focuses on the human body. I was just wondering if anyone hated organic chemistry and ended up doing well and enjoying pharmacy school classes. I don't want to make the wrong decision and end up hating my classes/career. Originally I was going to apply to medical school but then I realized that I like the lifestyle and job opportunities of a pharmacist better.

For me, I don't General Chem but I love Organic Chem. I think Organic Chem is more like "makes sense" stuff. Maybe, I'm just weird.

shahab said:
Sorry, I can't answer your question since I am not a pharmacy student..
Which chemistry do you dislike? General? or organic? I think disliking Gen. Chemistry is not uncommon (although I liked it). But if you dislike org. chemistry, I would say try to really understand organic chemistry - you will fall in love with org. chem.

When I took my org. chem I, I didn't hate it..but I didn't like it much because it was an online course and the book was my only help. Professor didn't help at all. But then when I took Org. II.. the prof. was so good in explaining things..I truly enjoyed that course. So, two factors..professor and understanding.
geez, they [pharmacy schools] accept online courses--not just any but a science class, specifically organic chemistry?!?! (not to sound derogatory) USC doesn't even accept a stinkin online english class and that's not even a science class!! what schools accept online orgo?

I'm not pursuing pharm, but I HATE CHEM TOO!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I didn't really care either way with Gen Chem because I really don't like math. I suck at math, actually. But I started diggin' organic chem. O. Chem is extremely challenging, but it feels good when you conquer the information. :D

I go the other way. I hate Biology. :mad: For some reason, it is so boring to me. I guess I didn't mind anatomy. That was just like learning a foreign language.

Chris

I enjoy Chemistry and Anatomy. Cell Biology bores me to tears. I am so tired of plants and fungii and such. But to me it is like cleaning the house. I really don't like it much, but I sure do like it when it is complete. Some things really are just a means to an end.

Now if you dislike all Chemistry, all Biology and all Anatomy, perhaps you should reconsider your career goals.

Good luck in all your future endeavors. :luck:

If my organic chemistry professor wasn't so awesome, I would have hated the classes.

Now, microbiology.. *swooooon* mmmmm immunology, mmmmmm infectious disease... ooooh man I can't wait until I finish my PharmD and get to go into PhD-level work! Anything biology (plant included, though I'm not as passionate, plant biology is fascinating material) is far superior to anything chemistry. Of course, I understand that a strong chemistry background is necesary in order to properly understand higher-level biology, which is why a PharmD is going to be *perfect* to prepare me for research.

...is it wrong that I feel giddy after talking about a research career?

WVURxGal said:
If my organic chemistry professor wasn't so awesome, I would have hated the classes.

yup! :love:

WVURxGal said:
...is it wrong that I feel giddy after talking about a research career?

nope! rock on :thumbup: