I Hate Jhaco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSI Miami

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else fed up with the pedantic rules that are being enforced because JHACO accreditors are visiting your hospital. It is driving me insane. The fear that the administration has of these people is amazing.
Some examples:
We are not allowed to eat or have coffee in clinic rooms
- what diseases are going to be transmitted by me having a coffee on my desk?
JHACO got upset that some residents started filling out paperwork before the case in the OR. They are saying that it is illegal behaviour. For F***cks sake - why can I not start filling out routine paperwork before the case starts????, stuff that I know will not change

Hospital admin has told us that if we are interviewed by JHACO, we are to turn our pager to silent mode, so as not to interrupt the interview! So if one of my patients has chest pain, I should ignore it, so as not to upset the JHACO interviewers??? Unbelievable.

Members don't see this ad.

CSI Miami said:
Is anyone else fed up with the pedantic rules that are being enforced because JHACO accreditors are visiting your hospital. It is driving me insane. The fear that the administration has of these people is amazing.
Some examples:
JHACO got upset that some residents started filling out paperwork before the case in the OR. They are saying that it is illegal behaviour. For F***cks sake - why can I not start filling out routine paperwork before the case starts????, stuff that I know will not change

Hospital admin has told us that if we are interviewed by JHACO, we are to turn our pager to silent mode, so as not to interrupt the interview! So if one of my patients has chest pain, I should ignore it, so as not to upset the JHACO interviewers??? Unbelievable.

this sounds like when I used to work as a nurse and the "state" was coming - is this the same thing? All I know is that I can feel your pain, all of a sudden, all these ridiculous practices had to take place "while they watch you" so we didn't get any 'points' it was all well and good, but half the time we ended up giving meds late, and not getting treatments done, or not charting as much as we needed to since we had to take time to: read label, read patient name, read label again, match it against patient name, check patient bracelet, read cardex again, look up SSN of patient match it to the name on patient cardex, match that to the bracelet on the patient, check the dose, not once, check it 4 times, then look at the bracelet again, call homeland security, see if their picture matches that of the patient, then check the bracelet ONE MORE TIME, talk to the patient in second bed, ask them if this is the right patient, check his bracelet too while your at it, wash your hands, then check bracelet, wash hands again, and finally - administer med. :laugh:

Like any nurse is going to check that damn bracelet 700 times when shes had the same patient for 3 days requiring meds QID <rollin eyes> I can understand NEW patients, but come on....

The sad/ironic thing is that as soon as they leave, things go back to normal and, somehow, patients continue to survive.

One of the nurses at our hospital made a smart-a$$ remark to one of the "reviewers" last time they were here:

Nurse: During the time that you are here, do mortality rates decrease? I mean, things are done so much better!

The reviewer, without even pausing replied: NO! We have found that hospital administrators actually suffer from increased incidents of high blood pressure though!

southerndoc said:
JCAHO is not limited to pediatrics. We suffer in the emergency department as well.

I agree with the OP. Some of the things they require are absolutely ridiculous.

I believe he said "pedantic", not pediatric. :p

CSI Miami said:
Some examples:

Well it's all about getting accredited. JHACO is all about rules and regulations and doesn't care about what makes sense or doesn't. Just suck it up, until they are gone and revert back to your old ways. Reason why everyone is so "afraid" of JHACO is that if the hospital doesn't get accredited, people wont' go there. Believe it or not some people will go on the internet and find out if the hospital is accredited or not, if not they wont' go there.

JHACO - The mystice debunked....

I learned a little bit about JHACO this past year that I thought I would pass along.

1) JHACO is a private company. A group of docs got together and decided, "Hey lets charge an exorbitant amount of money to tell a hospital that they are following their OWN POLICIES". There is a huge, nice glass building in Chicago that they own and we pay for.

2) See above, they hold hospitals hostage to their own lame a$$ policies that they invent. There is a minimun standard, then they go over the hospitals own policies. This was explained to me while on a away rotation where after every medication prescription I had to write the indication. Believe it or not, I could only give Zosyn to treat an infection! Where my home hospital does not have such a rule. Both hospitals are DOD.

3) JHACO is all about making money for themselves. If JHACO does not accredit a hospital, they just won't use them next year and they won't make their bucks. Some hosptals who have to get state and MEDICAID inspections don't even use them.

Doesn't make it less painful, especially when it is obvious that many administrators can't see the forest through the trees and loose perspective about that in final analysis their job is to support patient care, not the other way around.

tupac_don said:
Well it's all about getting accredited. JHACO is all about rules and regulations and doesn't care about what makes sense or doesn't. Just suck it up, until they are gone and revert back to your old ways. Reason why everyone is so "afraid" of JHACO is that if the hospital doesn't get accredited, people wont' go there. Believe it or not some people will go on the internet and find out if the hospital is accredited or not, if not they wont' go there.
Actually it's more than that. If you aren't accredited by JCAHO, many insurance agencies and CMS will not pay for patient visits.

Y'all, it's JCAHO, not JHACO. It stands for Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.

...also, it's not HIPPA, it's HIPAA, for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Samoa said:
Y'all, it's JCAHO, not JHACO. It stands for Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.

...also, it's not HIPPA, it's HIPAA, for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

However you say them, both policies/organizations are a complete waste of time, personell, and money IMO

GAO: Hospital Reviews Miss Many Errors

All Things Considered, July 20, 2004 · The Government Accountability Office says that more than three-quarters of major deficiencies and errors at hospitals are not found during normal accreditation reviews. A new report from the GAO says the private agency that inspects hospitals for the Medicare program often misses vital patient safety lapses and important fire safety problems. Hear NPR's Julie Rovner.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3604222