I Hate Organic Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothpaste2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I took organic chem and got a D+ in it, my lowest grade ever. I am re-applying to US dental schools because i didnt get in this year with my low dat scores (AA 18, PAT 15?),
I have research experience, volunteer, awards, scholarships and whole lot under my belt but I think one of the reasons i didnt get in is also that ****in D+. I am not re-taking the course because I hate it and I dont want to waste money or time on it because i will prolly not do well again. I know sounds stupid. I am also not applying to schools that ask for a min C on pre-reqs. So, I am taking my DAT in June and hoping to rock the scores. Here are my stats:

BCP GPA w +/- system= 3.41
BCP GPA without +/-=3.28

Science GPA w +/- = 3.46
Science GPA w/o +/-= 3.40

Non-science GPA w +/-= 3.73
Non-science GPA w/o +/-=3.60

Cumulative GPA w +/-= 3.54
Cumulative GPA w/o +/-= 3.39
Does anyone think I stand a chance? Which schools do you think I should apply to being Canadian?
Thanks soo much.:D

Members don't see this ad.

i got both C and did really good on DAT so i a not retaking it.....you should retake ochem you will not get in d school with the d+

I loved OChem, got A's in I and II. It is intuitive. Remember your EN's and pKA's.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, i am planning to retake it through correspondence.. here in canada we have athabasca.. which is an online university.... its accredited.. so i will do the labs in my city and do the tests and assignments on my own.. its expensive but i will do it. i think i have no other choice.

I loved OChem, got A's in I and II. It is intuitive. Remember your EN's and pKA's.

I also enjoyed O-Chem.. I didnt really use the electro negativities (I measure those, I am listed in several tables!), or the pKa's until I got to advance O-Chem. But they do help in figuring out what will react and what wont.
It does help if you can "See" the reaction happening.

So, I took organic chem and got a D+ in it, my lowest grade ever. I am re-applying to US dental schools because i didnt get in this year with my low dat scores (AA 18, PAT 15?),
I have research experience, volunteer, awards, scholarships and whole lot under my belt but I think one of the reasons i didnt get in is also that ****in D+. I am not re-taking the course because I hate it and I dont want to waste money or time on it because i will prolly not do well again. I know sounds stupid. I am also not applying to schools that ask for a min C on pre-reqs. So, I am taking my DAT in June and hoping to rock the scores. Here are my stats:

BCP GPA w +/- system= 3.41
BCP GPA without +/-=3.28

Science GPA w +/- = 3.46
Science GPA w/o +/-= 3.40

Non-science GPA w +/-= 3.73
Non-science GPA w/o +/-=3.60

Cumulative GPA w +/-= 3.54
Cumulative GPA w/o +/-= 3.39
Does anyone think I stand a chance? Which schools do you think I should apply to being Canadian?
Thanks soo much.:D

There's no other way around it... you've got to take Ochem over again!! No questions!! Good luck!

Marion

I totaly agree with having to 'see' the reaction. My wife would make fun of me because, while I was studying, I would zone out for a minute or two moving molecules around in my head. My prof was awesome too. That helps.

I also enjoyed O-Chem.. I didnt really use the electro negativities (I measure those, I am listed in several tables!), or the pKa's until I got to advance O-Chem. But they do help in figuring out what will react and what wont.
It does help if you can "See" the reaction happening.

Yea,I think I have to..... Spending more time and money will atleast ensure that I did ALL that I could to pursure my dream. However, I am taking it through correspondence (YES ochem through correspondence) from an accredited university. Its hard but I will give it my all. I am an independent learner anyway. Class time wont really help me, I didnt do well the first time around because I got sick over the course of time I took it. So, I have to find out tomo whether American schools are okay with courses taken through correspondence... the labs I will have to do at a local university. Thanks for your help. The course will not be over withint six months so by the time I submit my app, its only going to say that I am enrolled into the course, the schools will not know my grade till jan since that is when i get to submit my grade upgrades on aadsas. Do you guys think this may be a disadvantage?