I Hate Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insulinshock

Class of 2022
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just curious as to what would be some schools that don't really pay attention to research as much as your top 10s? I'm trying to create my schools list so some suggestions would be helpful.

Also, how would you guys attack this? I don't have any research experience at all, but I don't want any and have never been interested in doing it (I'm a waiter, so even if I wanted to I'm sure I would have had time). I just could not stand sitting in a lab for hours running samples and doing some of the things I hear my friends doing. Should I mention it and explain it, or just let it be and talk about it as it comes up? I have a pretty solid app (i think) otherwise so I'm especially trying to figure out how I should approach this.

Thanks

edit: titles a little misleading, i apologize

Members don't see this ad.

Then don't do it.

You will ruin your chances at top research med schools, but if you devote that time to something else equally pre-med-worthy I'm sure you'll become a great physician somewhere.

Hey,

I was just curious as to what would be some schools that don't really pay attention to research as much as your top 10s? I'm trying to create my schools list so some suggestions would be helpful.

Also, how would you guys attack this? I don't have any research experience at all, but I don't want any and have never been interested in doing it (I'm a waiter, so even if I wanted to I'm sure I would have had time). I just could not stand sitting in a lab for hours running samples and doing some of the things I hear my friends doing. Should I mention it and explain it, or just let it be and talk about it as it comes up? I have a pretty solid app (i think) otherwise so I'm especially trying to figure out how I should approach this.

Thanks

Totally cool, imo tons of people get in somewhere without doing any research. Just look outside the top 20 and have other EC's with significant time commitments that show who you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a big deal. It helps to have research experience, but according to the MSAR about 10-20% of students (at most schools) do not cite having research experience, so you definitely won't be alone. I wouldn't bring it up, but you should be prepared to answer for why you haven't done any. You don't have to be defensive, and I think you can be honest about how tedious it sounds, but you should have some other means of demonstrating your interest in scientific inquiry.

There are other options for research, like clinical. That sort of thing should be more in line with your interests (since you like medicine and all...). I think even research in other disciplines like the humanities could also help your app. I've heard anecdotes from PittMed students (one of the most research centered schools) who got in and out of school without seeing the inside of a lab.

Otherwise, the MSAR could be your best bet. On top of the box that tells you the average MCAT and GPAs of the accepted classes for each school, there is another box that tells you what percentage of of the class had either volunteer work, medically related work, and research. Go for the ones with the lowest research percentage!

Hey,

Thanks

i don't think not doing research will really hurt you that much (from what i remember you have a pretty solid mcat and a good gpa) but i dont get why people are so turned off by research because of the "waiting". initially I felt this way about research (before i started). after i began my research, i realized how awesome it was because i could be doing some serious stuff and yet be studying for mcat/class at the same time. and idk, i find it really relaxing to be in the lab by yourself and be able to work at your own pace, not worrying about deadlines and bs like that. it's like the ultimate freedom machine: research.

but maybe i'm just in an awesome lab. :) whatever floats your boat.

With great freedom comes great responsibility.

freedom's just another word for nothin left to lose

well played, curbeye, well played

Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it. I looked through MSAR, but I must have missed that box so I'll have to check it out again!

it sounds like you've really just heard from a friend or two of how they're research is going. Can you really be sure that research is not for you because of chit-chat?

Not all research is sitting down and doing sample after sample. A good research experience will teach you how to think. I.e. run into a problem (assay doesn't go as planned or experiment had botchy data), reason out possible solutions, discuss with your peers and problem solve together.

Points of views are so broad, you really need to do it for yourself and see how you like it before you jump to generalizations. I think it would serve as greater evidence when you sit across the table during interview day and tell them, "hey look I tried it, and wanted to like it but it's not for me" instead of "I heard from a friend that research is doing samples all day, I don't want to do that"

it gives your answer a little more validity.

There are many types of research out there, you don't have to limit yourself to one type. I was sort of in the same boat as you, I always left the organic lab smelling awful and feeling unhappy, but I joined a math-based, theoretical lab and I had a lot of fun with it as well as responsbility. I had a friend who did music research (centered around his major) in another country, yet still was premed. Maybe try looking around at professor's lab pages?

Hey,

Thanks

How do you know you hate research if you've never done it? Hearing about research is not the same as actually doing research. Completely different.

Either way, I don't think it'll hurt your application at any place other than the ones that really emphasize research. But I do recommend actually trying your hand at research before concluding that you hate it. It's absolutely not the same as some bio lab you took or something.

Hey,

Thanks

You don't really "need" research unless you're applying to research-heavy schools. But it would still be nice to have some research on your app. It doesn't have to be biomedical or natural science related. If you're a history major and you did research in that, it would count as research.
If you want to stick to biomedical stuff, look for clinical research opportunities. You would be dealing with actual live people, rather than pipettes, if you do that. Good opportunities of this sort tend to be hard to obtain for the typical premed.