-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
"I hate the dentist"
Started by free99
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It's emblematic of the society we're living in; the notion that modern dental care is a severely unpleasant experience that elicits "hatred" only makes sense in the context of 21st century comfort & excess. Also, "hatred" towards dentists and dental care has been reinforced over and over again through popular culture to the point that it is trendy to hate dentists.
What would I say? I would mirror the socially programmed response to gain report and favor: "Oh me too! All those sharp needles and stuff!"
What would I say? I would mirror the socially programmed response to gain report and favor: "Oh me too! All those sharp needles and stuff!"
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Incidentally back when I was in college, I remember meeting these two girls at a party, and they told me that they loved going to the dentist and hated going to a physician. Go figure. "You should totally be a dentist," they said. "I love coming back and having my mouth feel nice and clean."
But yeah, I remember my dentist saying, "Well, everyone hates ya."
I would say, overall, who cares. It's a needed profession. I'm sure everyone hates the Gastroenterologist, too. 🙂
But yeah, I remember my dentist saying, "Well, everyone hates ya."
I would say, overall, who cares. It's a needed profession. I'm sure everyone hates the Gastroenterologist, too. 🙂
"You have obviously never been to my practice"
I would find this response amusing after recently having an awful experience at the dentist. As a kid I never cared about the dentist one way or the other. I went without issue, got my cleaning, collected my free toothbrush and stickers, then left. Even in my college years I didn't find it bothersome and successfully underwent wisdom tooth surgery.
Fast forward to now in my 30s I don't know what the hell has happened to routine dental care, but that visit was like going through an illegal chop shop or something. Clearly I'm not going back to that practice, but I'm not exactly thrilled about going elsewhere either. In fact I've been procrastinating on filling out the paperwork for my benefits so I don't have to think about going for another visit.
if out in public … i ask what they do, and disregard whatever it is they do. if its a pt, i try and ask why? and then try not indulge their predisposition to "hating me" … but typically just eat the line, knowing darn well their mentality won't change and just be my self. some change. some don't. nature of the best my friend.
What do you say back? Go.
I think most people have this mentality about dentistry compared to other professions such as an Md is because on average they have to see us more and we are doing more invasive treatments. Where as if someone goes and sees their primary care physician, it is probably for a sore throat or something and they give some antibiotics to fix the problem and they are on their way.
If people had to utilize a heart surgeon or orthopedic surgeon as much as their dentist they probably wouldn't like their surgeon very much either.
If people had to utilize a heart surgeon or orthopedic surgeon as much as their dentist they probably wouldn't like their surgeon very much either.
Their immediate response, "Oh, I hate the dentist!"
What do you say back? Go.
I guess you have never had ME take care of you!
I'm sure it's happened to you before - you're at a bar, party, social gathering, whatever...
And during conversation you're asked:
"What do you do?"
You reply, "I'm a dentist."
Their immediate response, "Oh, I hate the dentist!"
What do you say back? Go.
When I first started, I used to try to convince them they should like the dentist. Never works. Now I say, "That's okay, I hate you too." Usually, I get a look back like 😱. If they realize they sound like a jerk, they apologize and we keep talking. If not, I find someone else who can tell me how much they hate me. 😛
"O..Ok...You'd better keep your teeth free from cavities.." 🙂
What do you do? Go:
I wish there was a "Really Really REALLY Like" button for me to click.
AWESOME!
I wish there was a "Really Really REALLY Like" button for me to click.
AWESOME!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
L
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
L
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 611
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 1K