I have a job...How are you students paying for all this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpark74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are all of you guys and gals paying for this? I have a good paying job, but most of you are students. I've spent over $1500 (+$900 for a new suit, shoes, etc.) and am holding my head just above water.

I can only imagine how you guys must be hurting financially.:(

Members don't see this ad.

For one, I didnt pay 900$ for a suit! :eek:

I have learned the fine art of begging....

"Hi Uncle Paul, I know we haven't spoken since I was ten, but you know how everyone says we need a doctor in the family?....here's your chance to make that happen..."

It's worked so far. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some are asking parents, but the majority are using credit cards. It's what I plan to do to add to my mountain of debt. :(

Can we still claim bankruptcy after school to absolve all loan debt?

And what ***** pays $900 for a suit?

Alicia

sorry the bankruptcy thing doesn't get rid of student loan dept anymore. :( I think too many doctors were actually doing that.

Originally posted by snowballz

Alicia

you should read a little closer before calling someone a *****. dpark said he paid $900 for a suit and shoes, etc (which most likely includes the cost of a tie, dress shirt)

i congratulate you dpark. it costs money to not look like trash.

I became a man ***** in order to pay for my applications:D

Hehe...look at the other suit thread and see how much other people spent... ;)

-RA

Hot damn, $900 for a damn suit. :eek: I got mine for $200 and it is damn nice. I have to know what the difference is between a $900 suit and the suit I have.

Originally posted by jennyw17
sorry the bankruptcy thing doesn't get rid of student loan dept anymore. :( I think too many doctors were actually doing that.

Yeah, they closed that loophole, which never should have existed in the first place. It's ridiculous that you could do that, if you really think about it.

-RA

What's wrong with paying $900 for a suit?

Originally posted by SolidGold
Hot damn, $900 for a damn suit. :eek: I got mine for $200 and it is damn nice. I have to know what the difference is between a $900 suit and the suit I have.
The difference is about $700. ;)

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
What's wrong with paying $900 for a suit?

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just odd to say that, then ask about how other people are affording this expensive ordeal, and then mention that he's just barely staying above water. It is 60% of the amount spent on the applications and such...

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright already about the clothes here, I have some thoughts about the working and going to school thing.

I tried to really prepare financially before I took the plunge and left my job. I saved every nickel and paid off as much debt as I could and made sure I had a pretty nice closet full of clothes since I wasn't going to be able to buy any more and then I just took student loans and spent all my time studying or working a part-time job. I had paid off about $40 000 in Ugrad loans and was used to being REALLY thrifty in order to do it, so now being a student at a public university I was grateful for the cheaper tuition and I really understood that ever penny I spent I would have to pay back with interest. That was real motivation to be a cheap bastard and I didn't give **** when people made fun of my peanutbutter sandwiches.

At some point for alot of people it comes down to no money (loans) and being able to study all day or having money (a job) but no time and trying to serve two masters. I can't handle dealing with a "real" job and having to behave etc, as well as my first goal of doing well in my classes. So I just left my job and was a starving bum for 2 years - but happy.

:love:

I'm refering to Alicia's comment of "what ***** pays $900 for a suit"

Yes, the difference between a $900 suit and a $200 suit is $700. heh

Alicia

what kind of dorkweed makes assumptions about a person's intelligence because they have chosen to afford an certain article of clothing?? Come on snowballs, cut the girl some slack-you DON'T have all the information!

1. I just got a job as a phlebotomist, so that helps.
2. Credit cards
3. Family/begging
4. Participating in research studies

I was a bit shocked by the $900 suit too... mine was less than $300 shoes, hose, and all!! And I thought I wasn't skimping.

But anyway... to answer the question. I had a job over the summer that paid for ~$1000 of it... my mom covered the rest (she's awesome!)

Parents. :love: Thanks, guys! :love:

Originally posted by SMW
Parents. :love: Thanks, guys! :love:

When you get to be a mom (or dad-how can I tell with your names?) you will return the favor and the sweet words in your mouth will be "its my pleasure to do this for you"

My plan is to max out both of my credit cards and then get a job in the spring semester while I'm only going to class part time. With the money I make spring semester and during the summer, I'll just about break even by the time med school starts. :cool:

I currently don't have a credit card so I'm using my parents'. I was fortunate enough to make $20k working my ass off the last two summers and I plan to pay them back once everything is said and done. I just worry about how I'm going to pay for med school if I get in.

All I have to say is, thanks mom and dad:)!

Jetson

i work. i put myself through college w/out any loans, and graduated debt-free but with $12.65 in my checking account. so i've been living at home (thanks mom and dad) while working full-time at UNC and doing babysitting/tutoring/EMS special events on the side. my parents haven't paid for any of my application materials. i'm no longer broke, but i couldn't afford all of this application stuff if i had to pay rent (rent is crazy expensive here).

btw-- scienceriot and ma!, you guys crack me up! :laugh: :laugh:

I spent $750+ to re-take Gchem (after 11 years), $395 to apply to post baccs and master's programs, and still need to take photos and apply to more schools.

Uhm...I used my credit card to pay and withdrew from my money market to pay the credit card company.

Oh did I mention borrowing against my 401K ($1399) to pay for the Princeton Review Hyperlearning course.

Some of the post bacc programs require an interview. I've decided I'm wearing the suit I wore to my 10 year high school reunion last year. Recycling works.

Where is bankruptcy court?

Makes me think that even if you aren't in debt from college, you are sure to be after medical school. I am a junior right now and all that is depressing especially if you might want to start a family and other things. But I guess you have to take the pain with the glory when becoming a doctor.

Originally posted by Raptor
Makes me think that even if you aren't in debt from college, you are sure to be after medical school. I am a junior right now and all that is depressing especially if you might want to start a family and other things. But I guess you have to take the pain with the glory when becoming a doctor.

Don't worry about student loans when you're a doctor. They're low interest and it'll be nothing to repay. In fact, it often pays to stretch out your repayment if you're making more than the loan interest rate. For example, if you borrowed $20,000 at 2%, and as a doctor, you have $20,000 laying around, you might as well invest it at 5% and reap a 3% spread. Over a ten year repayment, this could be worth your effort.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
i'm no longer broke, but i couldn't afford all of this application stuff if i had to pay rent (rent is crazy expensive here).

Rent's expensive in Chapel Hee-ull? Seriously?

-RA

yes. it sucks. my senior year (2 years ago) i lived in one of the cheapest apts in Chapel Hill, and it was $600/month for a 2-bedroom. it was not a pleasant place to live.

yes. it sucks. my senior year (2 years ago) i lived in one of the cheapest apts in Chapel Hill, and it was $600/month for a 2-bedroom. it was not a pleasant place to live.

That sounds about right. Seems to me some friends of mine were paying about $1000-1200 for a 3BR at State... Hehe, since they live in an area that's all student apartments, people just randomly park on lawns and stuff. It's funny...

It could be worse...(Berkeley)...

-RA

Originally posted by scienceriot
Ah, yes, but what kind of dorkweed complains in the next breath about his tight finances?

I would advise the male persuasion to save on a suit, but then find a tailor (judging by the prevalence of ill-fitting suits I have seen at my interviews thus far).

PS Mom, Ev seemed unenthused about the apples- I only gave him ten but have eaten 4 so far today. Dixon rules!

Dorkweed?! Nice...come on you can do better than that! The suit is an investment and not just for these interviews. Also, my statement about just holding my head above water was just that, a statement and not a complaint.

Oh, I remember you...you were the Orgo TA that thought there was some similarity between Pinacol and McLafferty and thought spectra were called spectrographs.

Late

I work for a non-profit. Luckily I've been saving up, cause besides a small birthday gift helping me pay for AMCAS, it's all come out of my own freakin' pocket.

I don't know how other people can afford to apply to like, 25 schools. I did 11 and already dropped several because I couldn't afford to do all their secondaries.

in comparison to a LOT of other places, that isn't actually too bad. i pay for a 1BR in michigan suburbia (outside of e.lansing) and it's $525 and pretty ghetto. down in ann arbor, you can't get a 2BR for less than about $900, especially if you want to live anywhere near campus (more like $1100, and it's icky). and think of those people in big cities, where 2BRs average about $1500 or more!

any non-trad's have investments laying around that they are scared to touch once they get accepted b/c the government's going to ax them in half?

....wondering if anyone is in the same boat.

No big investments, but small CD's and savings. Any suggestions on how to get around it?

I hear whatever your savings are, FAFSA just deducts that amount of loan from your package.

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
in comparison to a LOT of other places, that isn't actually too bad. i pay for a 1BR in michigan suburbia (outside of e.lansing) and it's $525 and pretty ghetto. down in ann arbor, you can't get a 2BR for less than about $900, especially if you want to live anywhere near campus (more like $1100, and it's icky). and think of those people in big cities, where 2BRs average about $1500 or more!

Boston-you can't find a 2 BR for less than $1500.00, believe me, I tried. A 1BR starts at 1000.00, and these are for the "ghetto areas." $600.00-900.00 for a 2BR is INCREDIBLE! Be thankful you live where you do...

No big investments, but small CD's and savings. Any suggestions on how to get around it?

hey gram,

believe me....i've only been investing for 4 years so my collection is not huge.

i meet with my fa (finanicial advisor) on wednesday. I'll remind myself to let you know what he says. I unfortunately have a house and huge car payment to bury.

I remember reading somewhere that you can withdraw from a Roth for school as long as you are paying for straight tuition. No room/board, etc. That's so not helpful.

OK...until Wed.

im young at the moment
but i guess it will be
parents, credit cards, and loans

kinda scary fact to realize and think about

about 4 years ago I had invested in a LOT of stocks that are now worth two peanuts.

I LOVE peanuts!:D

Originally posted by dpark74
Dorkweed?! Nice...come on you can do better than that! The suit is an investment and not just for these interviews. Also, my statement about just holding my head above water was just that, a statement and not a complaint.

Oh, I remember you...you were the Orgo TA that thought there was some similarity between Pinacol and McLafferty and thought spectra were called spectrographs.

Late

Oh please: did you notice I was quoting my mom on that one? Furthermore, what's the point of being profane? I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings or insult you, I was just making the point that one who's "barely keeping his head above water" often does not have the money to afford food, much less drop a G on a suit.

The similarity between Pinacol and McLafferty is that they are both rearrangements- I was only commenting on the difficulty of Organic, not drawing conclusions about the rearrangements themselves.

Why are you flaming me?

about 4 years ago I had invested in a LOT of stocks that are now worth two peanuts.

Are they peanuts b/c of market volatility or did you withdraw early? I opened my first IRA in 99 w/ $1000 and it's now worth about $300. Solid investment there.

Charles Schwabb sux. GO AXP!