I have a question!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Packers800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a freshman in cc in Texas and I'm thinking about going into medical school, so far my GPA is only 2.8, I know it's pretty bad for my first year although since I'm just getting started (Ive only taken 3 classes total) there's plenty of time for me to bring it up. Plus I pretty much slacked off during high school and left with a 2.2 GPA. My question is WHAT SHOULD I MAJOR IN? I know that you have to knock out all the pre med courses, get a high gpa, mcat, volunteer work, etc etc...but this is something I am seriously considering doing, it's one of the only things that really interests me and I know I can do it if I just try. I just want to get off to a strong start my sophomore year like a 3.5 GPA at the very least.

I haven't done any volunteer work, community service, nothing since I'm pretty much brand new in college and since Ive only been seriously thinking about doing this for about 5 days now.

Any Advice or help you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, start giving a s|h|i|t while your GPA is still salvageable. Frankly, a 2.8 for a college freshman with a light class load is just plain ridiculous and shows that you haven't been paying attention at all. That will need to change. Have a clear idea of your goals and what you must do to achieve them.

Second, you already have a pretty good idea of what it takes to get into medical school. What you'll need is a solid GPA, a high MCAT score, lots of volunteering inside and outside of the clinical setting, physician shadowing and some research experience. As far as research and volunteering are concerned, think quality over quantity. For example, you don't have to volunteer at a bunch of different places, just stick to something you like for a couple of years; medical school admission committees like to see commitment.

As for your major, it doesn't matter. Major in whatever interests you.

Also, good luck! You can do this! :)

thanks for the support, yeah my GPA has been ****, but I know there's still plenty of time for me to bring it up since Ive only taken 3 classes. Also I got a C in PSY 101, medical schools really don't like seeing any C's on your transcript/application, So should I re-take this course to raise my GPA? or just leave it as is...

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake psych, just move on. And aim higher than a GPA of 3.5, as you have some redemption to achieve. Don't worry about getting involved in ECs just yet. First nail down what's necessary to get excellent grades. Without that, the rest won't matter.

And I agree that your major doesn't matter. Study what interests you and you're more likely to get the As that you need.

Last edited:
Okay so Catalystik, when should I start worrying about EC's? beginning my junior year? because I want to try to get in as much voluntary/ clinical experience as I can. Also when should I start worrying about doing research and all that?

Sorry I'm kind of new to this whole forum thing, I didn't know.

How about this coming summer? And fall when you return to campus, if you figure out your new study patterns this semester.

And keep in mind there's nothing sacred about applying after you complete junior year. Some don't start ECs until they graduate and then they wait two years to apply while they get in the needed activities. Some are in their 30s and 49s, and they still get into med school. This is not a race. Do it right, so you only need to apply once.

Thanks for the advice, catalystik, well I can only take 3 classes per semester this year (2010-2011) because I'm from out of state so my first year Ive got to pay out of state tuition. Hopefully this won't raise a flag when I go to apply to medical school. But yeah I think I'm ganna start volunteering/clinical work in June.