I have been accepted to (2) schools please help me deicde

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey Silver,

I am a current last year student at USP and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the program here. I will let you know I transferred here into the professional phase of the program after obtaining my Bachelors degree at another university so my experience is only good for that hah. But let me know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey thank you for the fast response Konmavro. This may be an odd/stupid question. How hard was it ? I mean I have a general idea. How are the professors? If you like I can also provide my e-mail address as well . Thanks again
 
Hey Silver,

Yes USP costs roughly 32,000 a year. In terms of how hard the program is I found it fairly difficult but by no means insurmountable. You take a heavy course load your first 2 years of the professional phase but to put it in perspective I was able to work a part time job for the first 1.5 years and I have done well. You are required to keep at least a B- (80%) in all classes or you have to audit that class and cannot move on in the program. It is a demanding program but I feel some of that is due to some "busy work" but this you will find in many programs.

Another thing I liked about the program was that students are required to volunteer in a pro-bono clinic for patients who have no insurance in the Philadelphia area. You go 2-3 times a semester and it was a great way to get some early experience in the clinic prior to your affils. Furthermore, it works on a system where you are mentored by upper-level students so it helps not only in clinic skills when you are a younger student, but also in your leadership, educational skills as you move throughout the program.

In terms of the professors many of them are well known in the research field and most are more than willing to help you provided you approach them. The faculty also spans a wide variety of clinical specialties across all the disciplines and during my time here I think the university has done a good job of adding new professors to the program. As long as you are honest, hardworking, and show a good interest in the program you will be fine.

We have connections to many of the hospitals in the Philly area including and get guest lecturers from these and other clinics in the area. Furthermore, you do a fair amount of "field-trips" to clinics, hospitals, and such in the area in order to get more experience with patients as well as having patients come to some of the labs (including a baby lab in your Pediatric labs)

The program is slightly geriatric and Neuro based but you do get a good overall education in all the disciplines.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to send me a PM or like you said give me your email and I can help some more.
 
I appreciate all your help. I will diffidently be contacting you if I have questions. Trust me I will have some 🙂 .. Thanks again
 
Here is my e-mail address ( [email protected]) . I have been looking studying / preparing from a Clinical Anatomy book . Let me ask you, how far into the body dose the program go into ? I was a pre-med student I actually attended a Caribbean med. school before I realized this is not the right path for me. I realize most likely the PT programs will not go in the depth of a medical school . So, if this at all makes sense ho much of the body do I need to know ( all the veins and what they do all the bones ) ? I just want to kind of get a head start before I official start. By the way my name is Jason .

Thanks again
 
Hey Jason,

The anatomy course is pretty in-depth. As you may know with the change to the DPT we need to be more knowledgeable about the other systems of the body besides the Musculoskeletal ones. As such, you do a pretty well rounded dissection of the cadavers pretty much covering everything there is to cover. I really can't think of a body region we didn't delve into so I would study everything. Definitely be familiar with the bones and muscles as well as the brain and nervous system as these are especially important to a physical therapist, but you will have to know everything as you will be exposed to it all during the dissections.