I have hit the maximum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Multifidus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my last year of medical school. I had about $230,000 in loans before entering this year. I have been given about $40,000 in federal loans for this final year. I need another $12,000 to cover costs, but my private lender (CitiAssist) has denied my application, stating that I have reached the $220,000 limit. I have used CitiAssist without problems for the last 4 years. Am I out of options? Does this have anything to do with my credit (which should be fine, except for my massive education loan debt)? What should I do? Any advice would be great because my financial aid office doesn't like to pick up their phone.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a list of loan providers that might be able to help you.

http://www.finaid.org/loans/privatestudentloans.phtml

I imagine it might be hard as many programs cap at $220K or less.

I did see a few that went up to $250K and $300K on this list. I don't know much about them though. Wells fargo was one and student loan express was another that I found by glancing through. Access group states that its maximums are set up by the school so you might want to try there as well.

Most likely you've reached the cap on loan amounts. You can always check your credit score to see what's going on with it as well. Its good to check your credit annually to make sure you don't have any surprises. I'd also ask citi-assist why you were declined for verification. :)

:luck:

Multifidus said:
I am in my last year of medical school. I had about $230,000 in loans before entering this year. I have been given about $40,000 in federal loans for this final year. I need another $12,000 to cover costs, but my private lender (CitiAssist) has denied my application, stating that I have reached the $220,000 limit. I have used CitiAssist without problems for the last 4 years. Am I out of options? Does this have anything to do with my credit (which should be fine, except for my massive education loan debt)? What should I do? Any advice would be great because my financial aid office doesn't like to pick up their phone.

Dear Lord, 230 in the hole?..........tell me you are pre-Radiology.

Does your school offer GradPlus loans? They do not have a maximum limit. You can borrow up to the amount certified by your school regardless of your previous debt amount. Also, as mentioned above, there are some private lenders that allow you to borrow up to $300k.