I have MCATphobia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heady8301

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its an acute disorder, a terrible pathology. So Im here at the library, studying physics and Im really torn. I've been studying for like 11 months. I still feel mired in the material. I havent even been able to complete a practice test because I think I dont know enough. It sucks lots. Has anyone felt like this, like they'll never know enough. Please send notes etc to the morgue because this test is gonna kill me.

Members don't see this ad.

heady8301 said:
Its an acute disorder, a terrible pathology. So Im here at the library, studying physics and Im really torn. I've been studying for like 11 months. I still feel mired in the material. I havent even been able to complete a practice test because I think I dont know enough. It sucks lots. Has anyone felt like this, like they'll never know enough. Please send notes etc to the morgue because this test is gonna kill me.

Maybe after taking a full-length practice test, you'll realize that you really know your stuff ;) . I know that studying for PS sucks, but the best way to learn the material is through practice. We just gotta keep at it. :luck:

Hey there, don't feel bad, I was in the same boat for months, until maybe a month ago I started breaking the thirties, practice, practice and practice...if you don't get a question in a passage right, reivew the answer, if it does not make sense go back to the text book and re learn the concept, it take a long time I know but it will be worth your time....hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

First of all, everyone feels like they don't know enough because this test isn't looking to reward "he who memorizes the most". It's a reasoning test and to do well on a reasoning test, you have to expose yourself to a variety of problems and funky situations they like to throw at you in PS.

Also, if you've been at this for 11 months, you might be just burned out. If you're stressed, you gotta find some way to relieve it. If you're exhausted, get some rest. You're better off going into the test well-rested and being less prepared than being dead tired and over prepared. :)

Listen--trust me--you are never gonna feel like you know enough and you are never going to feel completely ready. Just start taking aamc practice tests as soon as possible. Don't be discouraged if your first few scores are not so great--just keep working at it. Review what you missed and work on your weak areas. Hey--you might do really well--once you start doing practice tests you will be much less afraid.

Nikki2002 said:
Listen--trust me--you are never gonna feel like you know enough and you are never going to feel completely ready. Just start taking aamc practice tests as soon as possible. Don't be discouraged if your first few scores are not so great--just keep working at it. Review what you missed and work on your weak areas. Hey--you might do really well--once you start doing practice tests you will be much less afraid.

This is sooooooo true :thumbup:

I concur. Hardly anyone feels "ready" for the MCAT... and the few that do join the rest of us about 2 minutes into PS. All you can control is your prep. Reviewing content is not enough: the most efficient way to prep is take practice tests, go over shaky content, and take another test. Rinse and repeat. Don't feel like you have to take an entire 8 hour mammoth full length to get your practice in... 6 passages here... and section test there... 3 passages before dinner... whatever, it all adds up. The key is constant evalutation and feedback- you're never gonna know what you need work on and what you rock until you try... and Test Day is not the day to try first. Trust me. :luck:

heady8301 said:

Everyone is right....you MUST start taking practice tests ASAP. You can know the material inside and out but ...the good ol' MCAT will try and convince you otherwise. This is why you need exposure to the tests. You have your base....now get into the mode of asking yourself " what simple concept is this question trying to ask me". Trust me...you need to learn this question. 85% of ALL physical sci questions can be traced back to an idea that you ( seeing your post) have reviewed many times.The saying....practice like you play....applies here very well. :thumbup: :thumbup: