I have some questions about MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just a pre med considering to enter med school and thinking about taking a MCAT this August. I have several questions.

1.I am going into my 4th year in September, would I need to take a MCAT class such as Kaplan to do well in the test? I've heard that the material is based on the stuff I learned in my freshman year.

2.Between Princeton Review and Kaplan, which would be more money efficient?

3.Right now I've tried the AAMC website to see if I can register, and all the seating seems to be full in Canada, British Columbia. I've also emailed the inquiry and they told me it is actually full and they might consider adding in more seatings. Are there any people who drop out or does this mean that I can't take in August just because the seatings are full?

Thanks for any help sorry I'm new to MCAT stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

1. As someone who works for Kaplan and have taken their mcat course, I can honestly say, that test prep programs aren't the miracles they advertise themselves to be. I think the great thing about these programs is that they set you on a schedule. They break material down to chunks and have you do concentrated practice. If you can get a hold of one of their reading/practice schedules, you will do fine on your own.

2. Neither. well, I guess doing a program would help a teeny bit, but if you don't have lots of cash lying around, just buy the aamc tests online. As far as competition goes, Kaplan has been in the business longer and has a direct deal with the AAMC so their programs offer all the AAMC tests as well. As a Kaplan teacher, we get more training overall compared to the Princeton Review teachers... so we, on the whole, are better teachers. Or we'd like to think... :laugh: