I Heard that some Med Skools do not require the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherif

Hot stuff
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this true or a myth. I heard there are two schools in the U.S:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Hopkins used to NOT require the MCAT but changed that requirement already.

theres a few in n. korea and the Republic of Congo

Members don't see this ad :)
Some, in fact many, combined programs (Like the one at VCU) where you go through an undergrad and have a guaranteed admit to a SOM do not require an MCAT. Thats about it, though.

CCW

some canadian ones dont need it, university of ottawa and mcmaster

i know someone who got into suny upstate without taking the mcat...not sure how that works though.

i guess if you're a good applicant, in state, and commit to the school, they'll take you without the mcat. this was a couple years ago, so they may have changed the policy.

just take it. its a rights of passage...

Originally posted by jlee9531
just take it. its a rights of passage...

I got a sense that he/she either: took the test and wasn't happy about the score, or anticipate an unsatisfying score. So he/she's trying to see if there are schools that'll ignore that aspect of his application.

If that's the case, I'd suggest to do your best, retake it if neccessary, then apply. You may be surprised at the response at some schools, but a low-ish MCAT may make it very hard to land you an interview at all schools.

Yes it is. It's horrible.
The MCAT is nothing to be afraid of. [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by CalBeE
I got a sense that he/she either: took the test and wasn't happy about the score, or anticipate an unsatisfying score. So he/she's trying to see if there are schools that'll ignore that aspect of his application.

If that's the case, I'd suggest to do your best, retake it if neccessary, then apply. You may be surprised at the response at some schools, but a low-ish MCAT may make it very hard to land you an interview at all schools.

Hehe, no, Sherif is our token high-schooler.

I know of someone who applied to some special program at Wake Forest during the summer before her JUNIOR year (before the MCAT) and was admitted under the conditions that she eventually took the MCAT. I don't know much about the program but some of my friends are familiar with it. It's probably on their website somewhere.

The MCAT was the only test that I had butterflies while taking. That is, I was actually nervous. For all my other finals and tests I was never nervous.

Perhaps it was because that score basically determines whether you're going to be a doctor or not. :scared:

No pressure though...;)