I *heart* EMRAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously. Practical, funny, and incredibly illuminating, even for this MS3. Who knew Billy Mallon was such a kidder? (probably everyone. I'm a n00b, what can I say?)

:love::love:

What're your fave talks? I'll start:

1. Billy Mallon, Bites and Stings Feb 2008.
[who knew that cougars like to munch on mediastinum??? :eek:]

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed, it's a fantastic resource, just be sure to listen critically - they do make errors.

As for faves - anything by Corey Slovis.

Seriously. Practical, funny, and incredibly illuminating, even for this MS3. Who knew Billy Mallon was such a kidder? (probably everyone. I'm a n00b, what can I say?)

that's my fave too, ligers LOL

Members don't see this ad :)

He gave us an impromptu 5 min lecture on hand injuries when I rotated at USC. Funny guy.

I need to get me some of this EMRAP stuff!

The Corey Slovis electrolyte lecture, which is apparently not exclusive to EM Rap, is a great review.

Huge EM:RAP fan here, too. I listen to it most of the time when I'm driving out to a moonlighting shift. I'll second the Slovis. I did an away rotation at Vandy as a student, and he is a phenomenal lecturer. I still go to most of his talks at ACEP Scientific Assemblies when I go.

Just downloaded the Slovis electrolyte emergencies" lectures for the drive north. Looking forward to 'em.

I just wanted to say that for a guy w/o a home program, these lectures are a godsend. As it is, we don't have EM grand rounds that we can go to, so it's nice to be inculcated into the EM mindset a bit.

I'm with socute...how do we access these lectures? I have a 22 hour drive coming up in a few months..which I'm sure I'll want to listen to something outside of music...maybe...

Members don't see this ad :)
another cool benefit of EMRA.

does anyone know how to get the tracklistings on itunes? or do we just play the whole thing from start to finish? i haven't been able to find them using the directions from the site.

I'm with socute...how do we access these lectures? I have a 22 hour drive coming up in a few months..which I'm sure I'll want to listen to something outside of music...maybe...
Since you're (almost) a resident, why don't you try calling EMRA and see if they'll give you access?

If you are a soon to be intern your program may have already paid your dues and you can get access to em-rap right now. You can call and find out. Or if you are already a medstudent member of EMRA just log in and if you are paid up it will allow you to download files. I am LOVING em-rap and really greatful that we have this resource. Audio files saved my butt in med school and I am banking on them doing the same in residency.

another cool benefit of EMRA.

does anyone know how to get the tracklistings on itunes? or do we just play the whole thing from start to finish? i haven't been able to find them using the directions from the site.

It is a multistep process. First, go through the EMRA site to EM:RAPs site and download the file you want. For recent episodes, there are two versions: a copy of the two-CD set or a single iPod version. I'd stick with the iPod version.

Download it and then import it into iTunes.

I have created a CME folder of playlists in iTunes. One of these is EMRAPS. Under that, I create a playlist for each month (EMRAP 08-04). I drag the audio file for that episode onto that playlist and I'm good to go.

Mel is getting better at making the files iTunes friendly. At first, I had to add album art (I hate the blank picture when scrolling through cover flow) and set the categories. Now I just set the sorting options I like (skip when shuffling and resume from last played).

BTW, as an EMRA member, you also get access to EM Abstracts.

Finally, Joe Lex, from the Temple program, has generously dumped HUGE amounts of content out into free domain. He has been publishing them on EMED-L. Here's a Spanish website that has links to all of them: http://emergencyteam.net/blog/ Look for the English translation button down on the left if you need it.

Take care,
Jeff

If you are a soon to be intern your program may have already paid your dues and you can get access to em-rap right now. You can call and find out. Or if you are already a medstudent member of EMRA just log in and if you are paid up it will allow you to download files. I am LOVING em-rap and really greatful that we have this resource. Audio files saved my butt in med school and I am banking on them doing the same in residency.

I am a student member and my dues are up to date, but this doesn't work for me. Log in to which website?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This worked for me: click on the podcast icon

http://prod2.ccme.org/emrap/

The podcast is free to everyone, but it's not the whole site.

I think that EMRA has its website configured not to allow access to EMRAP for student members. I contacted Mel Herbert and he said that as far as he knew, the free EMRAP access was for both resident and student members. I will contact EMRA soon to try to get to the bottom of this.

We discussed this at one the EMRA meeting just before this benefit was announced. It is for resident members only. Sorry (it's only for another couple of months, SoCute).

As for the difference in content between EMRAPS and other sites, there is likely to be some overlap. For example, EMRAP taps lectures from many conferences. They frequently have stuff from ACEP, AAEM and Temple Grand Rounds. Those same lectures may appear on different sites as well.

The benefit EMRAP provides, IMHO, goes beyond the content. The commentary, editing and discussion is where the real value is.

emedhome has additional content and, for only $75 a year, is a pretty damn good deal.

I used my CME money to subscribe to cmedownload.com. The USC Essentials and UCSF High Risk EM conferences are worth the price alone. There is also an ultrasound course (these are audio & video downloads) and a procedures course that are very useful.

Take care,
Jeff

You might make mention that they also kick you out if you graduate but aren't actually in an EM training program or in a prelim headed towards a categorical spot.
I haven't signed back up, and don't know if I'm going to.

We discussed this at one the EMRA meeting just before this benefit was announced. It is for resident members only. Sorry (it's only for another couple of months, SoCute).

As for the difference in content between EMRAPS and other sites, there is likely to be some overlap. For example, EMRAP taps lectures from many conferences. They frequently have stuff from ACEP, AAEM and Temple Grand Rounds. Those same lectures may appear on different sites as well.

The benefit EMRAP provides, IMHO, goes beyond the content. The commentary, editing and discussion is where the real value is.

emedhome has additional content and, for only $75 a year, is a pretty damn good deal.

I used my CME money to subscribe to cmedownload.com. The USC Essentials and UCSF High Risk EM conferences are worth the price alone. There is also an ultrasound course (these are audio & video downloads) and a procedures course that are very useful.

Take care,
Jeff

Couple?!?! THIRTEEN!!! :(

You might make mention that they also kick you out if you graduate but aren't actually in an EM training program or in a prelim headed towards a categorical spot.
I haven't signed back up, and don't know if I'm going to.

To clarify, you aren't "kicked out" if you graduate - you are eligible to be an alumni member and have access to a lot of member benefits. According to bylaws, to be a resident member of the Emergency Medicine Residents' Association you must be in an emergency medicine training program. The statement above regarding being a prelim is simply incorrect. Here is a quote from the Bylaws:

"Preliminary" or "transitional" interns who have been accepted into an emergency medicine residency program are eligible for active membership during their intern training year."

I'm glad so many people are enjoying EMRAP. Dr. McN, I hope before deciding not to continue your membership you read the website, bylaws and mission statement for yourself, as well as check out the abundance of benefits EMRA offers. I don't mean to "thread hijack," I just wanted to point out that the above statements are incorrect. I also want to point out that if you think this requirement should be changed, consider submitting a resolution to the Representative Council or addressing the membership in this way at SA in Chicago. The membership thus decides. This is the only way our bylaws and policy compendium can change - by vote of the membership (which is about 7700 strong, and as such EMRA is the largest resident organization of ANY specialty in the world.) For more info, go to www.emra.org. Any questions, please PM me.

Have fun with EMRAP and EM Abstracts and EM Practice and Peds EM Practice (other stuff through EMRA). I'm off to bed as I start trauma at 5 a.m. ;)

To clarify, you aren't "kicked out" if you graduate - you are eligible to be an alumni member and have access to a lot of member benefits. According to bylaws, to be a resident member of the Emergency Medicine Residents' Association you must be in an emergency medicine training program. The statement above regarding being a prelim is simply incorrect. Here is a quote from the Bylaws:

"Preliminary" or "transitional" interns who have been accepted into an emergency medicine residency program are eligible for active membership during their intern training year."

I'm glad so many people are enjoying EMRAP. Dr. McN, I hope before deciding not to continue your membership you read the website, bylaws and mission statement for yourself, as well as check out the abundance of benefits EMRA offers. I don't mean to "thread hijack," I just wanted to point out that the above statements are incorrect. I also want to point out that if you think this requirement should be changed, consider submitting a resolution to the Representative Council or addressing the membership in this way at SA in Chicago. The membership thus decides. This is the only way our bylaws and policy compendium can change - by vote of the membership (which is about 7700 strong, and as such EMRA is the largest resident organization of ANY specialty in the world.) For more info, go to www.emra.org. Any questions, please PM me.

Have fun with EMRAP and EM Abstracts and EM Practice and Peds EM Practice (other stuff through EMRA). I'm off to bed as I start trauma at 5 a.m. ;)

Just a heads up...he was an unlucky one last year. Reason he was "kicked out."

But of course he had much better results this year :love:

Only problem is that I wasn't accepted into an emergency medicine residency program until this March. I was taken off the rolls last August because I could not provide evidence that I would be a future EM physician. I'm sure that I could reapply now, and for people who match into 2-4 programs it isn't a problem. However, the year that I was simply an undesignated prelim I wasn't allowed to continue my membership
Dr. McN, I hope before deciding not to continue your membership you read the website, bylaws and mission statement for yourself, as well as check out the abundance of benefits EMRA offers. I don't mean to "thread hijack," I just wanted to point out that the above statements are incorrect. I also want to point out that if you think this requirement should be changed, consider submitting a resolution to the Representative Council or addressing the membership in this way at SA in Chicago. The membership thus decides. This is the only way our bylaws and policy compendium can change - by vote of the membership (which is about 7700 strong, and as such EMRA is the largest resident organization of ANY specialty in the world.) For more info, go to www.emra.org. Any questions, please PM me.
I don't doubt that membership is beneficial. Having been an active member of the AMA for the last 5 years, organized medicine is important to me. I'm sure to submit a resolution, I would have to actually be a member, and I bet my residency will make me a member anyway, so I think I will strongly consider it. I'm not sure how the program will take to keeping people in the "donut hole" as it where, after medical school before EM residency though, simply because of the failure rate of reapplicants into EM.

Take care,
Jeff

I listen to EMRAP consistently and find there is a mental alarm clock at the beginning of every month that tells me "yo, *******, check the website and see if there's something to download". I second the value is in the discussion and the entertainment value.

I would caution, however, the over zealous, prostrate-on-the-ground, way of believing in the content. As Mel would probably say: use your gestalt, it's the best there is. 90% of the time they are reviewing standard material, adding their highly valuable, entertaining, and unique discussions and banter to increase retention. However, I find there is 10% that represent cutting edge stuff, where they are clearly advocating an opinion from their years of practice, and it may be to your detriment to wontonly accept their way as the best way. (In their defense, they do not make such a claim).

Also, I'd like to second Jeff 698 regarding emedhome.com. It is WELL WORTH the $75 bucks. For me, the best part is that they including official, ACEP Scientific Assembly Conference lectures! Go to www.acep-emedhome.com. For example, they just put up lectures from the 2008 ACEP Advanced Pediatric EM Assembly held in San Diego. They also have articles from Annals you can review for CME. The requirements for this particular variation of emedhome is that you need to be an ACEP member.

Finally, for those case-strapped residents like me, I'd like to offer a suggestion: If you have an Ipod and running Itunes, do a quick search for medicine, emergency medicine, or other key works. There are lots of FREE podcasts on Itues for you to download. Some, frankly, are rather horrible, but some are worth your while, especially for free.

Best.

I would caution, however, the over zealous, prostrate-on-the-ground, way of believing in the content.

Good advice for any information, medical or other. Much like NO physician would EVER be biased to prescribe a drug just because of a nice steak dinner, none should change their practice because of one piece of information.

Take care,
Jeff

Finally, for those case-strapped residents like me, I'd like to offer a suggestion: If you have an Ipod and running Itunes, do a quick search for medicine, emergency medicine, or other key works. There are lots of FREE podcasts on Itues for you to download. Some, frankly, are rather horrible, but some are worth your while, especially for free.

I really admire you all for your dedication and your ability to listen to lectures while traveling, working out, etc. Unfortunately, when I'm working out, flying, or driving, I like to listen to music (especially working out - it keeps me motivated). I cannot stand lectures. This is why I attended a problem-based medical school.

I'll second that....I can just imagine little Billy running around playing the "barefoot bee hive stomp game" :)

Am I the only one who has been having trouble with the very large file sized iPod version of EMRAP?

I'll be halfway through the edition and it'll stop and restart. I'll then have to scroll through 2+ hours of content to get to where I left off.

To any of you tech geeks out there, I need some advice.

I just got a factory adaptor for my iPod. When the file restarts like this, it is a massive pain in the butt to find where it left off. I have to pull off to the side of the road to get it started again. I can't see any of the information on the iPod when it's playing through the stereo (it goes blank) and, even if I could see it, the cord that plugs in my iPod is too short to use comfortably.

I'm thinking of just replacing my factory radio with a custom one that has an input plug so I can control my iPod from my iPod. Anyone with any experience on this?

Take care,
Jeff

I'm thinking of just replacing my factory radio with a custom one that has an input plug so I can control my iPod from my iPod. Anyone with any experience on this?
Eh, just buy a new car. All Mopar cars have input jacks. BMW and Mercedes have controls on their stereos that work iPod (and only iPod). Scion has input jacks as well.

Just think, better gas mileage, the pimp factor.