I hope this helps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

koolaide225

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here are some simple math tricks I have used on quant that helped shave off 10 seconds here and 20 seconds there which could come in handy granting you an extra minute or two that could make or break your QA

Ok, well the first one that saves me the most time would be rounding numbers up or down to make the calculations easier and more mental, example if I am given 86 x 73 sure I can sit there and multiply it out, or I can just turn that 86 into a 90 and that 73 into a 70 then it becomes a simple 9 x 7 calculation in your head then you add the two zeros and if you are wondering about being super off, you wont be 86x73 is 6287 while 90 x 70 is 6300. I mean you are only 13 numbers off, you arent going to be given answers that are this close together, rarely does that happen. You will be surprised at the amount of time you save especially if you have to do multiple calculations.

another trick I use for squaring large numbers between 30 and 70 would be this, say you are trying to square 43^2 again I can sit there and multiply it out but what if you do this. for any number between 30 and 50 take that number and subtract it from 50 so that 50-43 is equal to 7 now take that 7 and subtract it from half of 50 so 25-7= 18 there are your first two digits, for second two digits, take the 7 and square it, 7^2 = 49 so your answer is 1849, the explanation for this is longer than it takes you to mentally do it. lets do another example where the number is 38^2 so again 50-38 = 12 and 25-12 = 13 now we square twelve and get 144 so we have 5 digits, but thats no problem, we take the 13 and add the 1 from the 144 to the three so we get 14 then we write the last two digits 44 so answer would be 1444. for numbers above 50, you use the same rule but instead of subtracting the difference from 25 you add the difference to 25 so here is another quick example 53^2 so 53 is 3 above 50 now we take the 3 and add it to 25 so we get 28 then we take the 3 and square it, we get 9 again we need 4 digits, so first 2 are 28 and last two are 09 so answer is 2809. when you practice all these, youll realize that you are taking what could be a 20 second calculation for someone and turn it into an 8 second one.


If you are wondering about my score, I got a 96 percentile with 3 99s in bio, chem, and QA. Not so hot on my verbal and RC.

If this can help one person out, I will be satisfied.
 
Last edited:
Wooow thank you so much for ur time in posting those tricks..a lot wont do it. would you please share what you use to prepare for the exam?Thanks
 
Wooow thank you so much for ur time in posting those tricks..a lot wont do it. would you please share what you use to prepare for the exam?Thanks

All these people who complained about Dr. Collins and how it was no help is a lie. Every single disease in that PCAT for the Bio section came in handy, nothing was a waste. The math exams are amazing practice too, honestly, the biggest thing about the QA is not whether you know it or not, it is whether you can do it fast enough. I say it's 70% dependent on speed and taking short cuts. I owe my score to three things, the most helpful being the Pearson Practice Exams, they are the best thing anyone could invest in. You get hands on experience and a feel for the test before you take it which does play an important role, not to mention, if you were wondering about what you need to study, well it is all in there, and after you score each section, they tell you what areas you need help with. Second, Dr. Collins, sure the study packets are great, but where you get your money's worth is in the practice exams, the only way you can get better at something is through practice and those exams make sure of it. Finally, the last thing that was a God send were the people from the SDN forum, I did not know what Dr. Collins was, or how to prep for this thing. I could not afford an expensive Kaplan or princeton course and I made my own study schedule based upon everyone's study schedule who was successful, sure I can tell you to do math on monday and chem on thursday, but every person is different. Figure out what makes you comfortable and just do it. The method doesn't matter as long as the results are good. I wish you and everyone else who is taking this exam luck. I am no genius, far from it, but if you want it bad enough, you will get it. 🙂