I just took the DAT, QR is very disappointing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothbread

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

This is my first post and I would like to see what you think about my DAT scores, especially 14 on QR... What should I do?
PAT 21
QR 14
RC 19
BIO 23
GC 20
OC 20
TS 21
AA 19

Members don't see this ad.

Overall you did well, but I think 16 may be the cut off for most programs. The QR section is weighted the least, and you may get by with a score as low as 16 in that section. I don't think you can go lower than that though.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall you did well, but I think 16 may be the cut off for most programs. The QR section is weighted the least, and you may get by with a score as low as 16 in that section. I don't think you can go lower than that though.

Agreed. That 14 QR may definitely hurt you, especially if you want to apply this cycle and shoot for post-dec invites. Also, although a 19 RC isn't bad per se, many dental schools are ranking it more important from hearsay I've heard on the forums and at interviews. I couldn't hurt to retake with a bit more studying, especially for QR.

If you're applying for next cycle, applying early might help your chances out without a retake. But the QR score dragged down your AA it looks like - so a retake may be better for then as well. What resources did you use for QR?

Agreed. That 14 QR may definitely hurt you, especially if you want to apply this cycle and shoot for post-dec invites. Also, although a 19 RC isn't bad per se, many dental schools are ranking it more important from hearsay I've heard on the forums and at interviews. I couldn't hurt to retake with a bit more studying, especially for QR.

If you're applying for next cycle, applying early might help your chances out without a retake. But the QR score dragged down your AA it looks like - so a retake may be better for then as well. What resources did you use for QR?
I used DAT bootcamp QR. I was surprised the pattern of QR was very similar to DAT bootcamp. I did not get any trig or geometry questions at all. Most questions were sufficiency, Value A greater than B, some rate problems, lots of probability, and applied sciences. For RC being 19, English is my 2nd language but I don't that matters to admission but hey I tried my best...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking, if you used DATBootcamp and you got a 14QR ... where do you think you went wrong? I'm taking the DAT soon so I'm just curious, thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, if you used DATBootcamp and you got a 14QR ... where do you think you went wrong? I'm taking the DAT soon so I'm just curious, thanks!
I did not have a good habit studying for my QR compared to my other sections... i wasn’t honest to myself “the actual QR is gonna be easier than bootcamp anyway so ill be fine 16-17” and i ended up with a 14. The pattern was very similar, but the problems were bit easier on the actual test. For example, find x problems were not complex, very basic and simple. Probability problems were not that complicated. I was able to do them but I did not have enough time so I hasitated that everytime I saw a sufficiency or value comparison problem (i got a lot of them) i would just select any answer, mark, and move on, hoping that i encounter an easy problem that wouldn’t take me time to solve and guarantee myself some points. Good luck!

I did not have a good habit studying for my QR compared to my other sections... i wasn’t honest to myself “the actual QR is gonna be easier than bootcamp anyway so ill be fine 16-17” and i ended up with a 14. The pattern was very similar, but the problems were bit easier on the actual test. For example, find x problems were not complex, very basic and simple. Probability problems were not that complicated. I was able to do them but I did not have enough time so I hasitated that everytime I saw a sufficiency or value comparison problem (i got a lot of them) i would just select any answer, mark, and move on, hoping that i encounter an easy problem that wouldn’t take me time to solve and guarantee myself some points. Good luck!
The first step to doing better is identifying what went wrong and you seem to have a solid grasp of it. I'm sure if you will do better if you retake it.

That being said a coworker of mine got in with a 15QR.

The first step to doing better is identifying what went wrong and you seem to have a solid grasp of it. I'm sure if you will do better if you retake it.

That being said a coworker of mine got in with a 15QR.
I'm very happy for your co-worker that he got in with a 15QR because now I truly feel how sad and disappointed he was... I'm going to apply for the next cycle but now I need to communicate with dental admissions to see if they won't see it as a determining factor. My sGPA is 3.7 and my overall is 3.8 with 2 years of dental assisting and some volunteering work. But still every time I look at my 14QR I feel like It will be very difficult for me to justify why I didn't retake and I know could've improved myself... man it's just a lot of thoughts and I'm so upset and I lost desire to even balance a chemical equation...:cryi: