I keep making B's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I'm a current sophomore at UT Austin. I worked my butt off at these science courses but could only maintain a B average (not even a B+ =.=). I want to improve by making at least a B+ or higher next semester.

Has anyone improved their scores as they progressed through college? Because I know it just gets harder.

Members don't see this ad.

Positive grade trends are huge. Most people have trouble in gen chem. It gets harder..eh that depends on the person. If your study habits improve you will be fine.

It's not too late. Keep trying and ace the DAT!

well ketone, I am a senior at UT Austin. What classes are you having trouble? Perhaps I could give some advice as to future classes and /or professors to take for science classes since I am a biochemistry major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, that will be awesome!
Next semester, I'll be taking CH310N (now referred as CH320N) and the lab along with it. I wasn't able to take general chemistry the first semester of my freshmen year so I'm a chem course behind. So any tips on Ochem II and lab?

I currently have Colapret and supposedly his final should be very difficult so I'm sure my current grade will drop to a B. I know the material well though. So I think that will help me for Ochem II?

Also, I'm worried about BIO339K |:

Hey I had the same problem! I got a 2.8 and 3.2 my freshman year. I got a B in gen chem 1 and B+ in gen chem 2. then my grades went up a lot. I got an A in both O chems and B+ and A- in phys. So dont worry you will learn the game. My GPA by semester is 2.8, 3.2 ,3.4,3.64, 3.41 and this semester is probably going to be a 3.62. Dont give up!!!!!

Hey I had the same problem! I got a 2.8 and 3.2 my freshman year. I got a B in gen chem 1 and B+ in gen chem 2. then my grades went up a lot. I got an A in both O chems and B+ and A- in phys. So dont worry you will learn the game. My GPA by semester is 2.8, 3.2 ,3.4,3.64, 3.41 and this semester is probably going to be a 3.62. Dont give up!!!!!

Have you been accepted into dental school? Getting in with a 3.4 sounds difficult. What was your DAT score?

Have you been accepted into dental school? Getting in with a 3.4 sounds difficult. What was your DAT score?

I have not been accepted,I haven't even applied yet I am just finishing my Jr. Year. I will be taking the DAT at the end of August.

What is your sci GPA(both of you)?

Often times if your overall is low but your science is high you can still make it work.

You got it! My sci is a 3.48. My overall looks some what low because of my freshman year.

Often times if your overall is low but your science is high you can still make it work.

Take what you hear on these forums with a grain of salt. The people giving you advice are not usually part of dental school admission committees. The amount of mis-information, myth, and rumor found on these pages can be overwhelming.

For example: Parklife is only a freshman and has not yet begun the application process.

*I don't necesarily disagree with Park in this context, he was just an easy example :). No hard feelings Park.

Ha, you think the dental forums are bad? I'm a pre-pharm turned pre-dental. There isn't a more cynical, unprofessional, money grubbing advice group than that of the SDN pharmacy board..

But thanks for the warning. I have always taken everything with a grain of salt. It's like quantum chemistry. The electron projectory can never be 100% it can only be estimated by quantum numbers, angular momentum, etc.

Chem analogies.. Ahh.. the life of STEM majors :D

--

Well, don't give hope just because of a poor freshman GPA. A lot of smart people mess up their freshman year for various reasons. You can always do great on the DAT and impress. :thumbup:

I graduated from UT-Austin. I made mostly B's and a few As. You'll be fine. I think my science GPA was like a 3.2 or a 3.3 and still got a handful of interviews. I actually have a better GPA in dental school than undergrad... I think I partied way too much on 6th street haha.

Just be careful with physics. I made all As and Bs and physics was the only class where i made a C. I thought it was very poorly taught.

Sweet! Did you get interviews in state? Also what dental school are you currently attending?