I know its getting annoying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pratik7

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...but i just cant resist anymore. Im less than thrilled with my mcat score but am also hesisitant to retake (ill prob wont go up more than a point or two and the delay it will put in the process). To settle my paranoia and OCD, can yall tell me what you think I should do with the following:

State: GA
Mcat: 27 (10b,9p,8v)
GPA: 3.85; 3.8 science
Lots of EC, volunteer and research. I have also worked in the hospital as and anes and resp tech for a year and half. Great LOR

I am applying to about 25 schools lower tier schools. Im really interested in all of them soo im not really picky. You think I can get in SOMEWHERE??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get it. You should also take the Aug MCAT given the opportunity. Where you go to school will affect the rest of your life, and you would get into a lot better school with a 31 than a 27 with those numbers.

apply to a few DO schools too. You'll get in somewhere.

Jalby said:
You will get it. You should also take the Aug MCAT given the opportunity. Where you go to school will affect the rest of your life, and you would get into a lot better school with a 31 than a 27 with those numbers.

I would be concerned that he might do worse. Although I believe there are a lot of questions separating a 7 and an 8 (compared to a 10 and 11).

On the AAMC website, you can find what percentages of people get better, worse, or the same score (by section) on the MCAT based on their original score.

Verbal (score of 8): 48% scored higher, 22% the same, 30% worse
Biological (score of 10): 36% scored better, 33% same, 32% worse
Physical (score of 9): 38% better, 24% the same, 37% worse.
(I know the numbers don't work out, but that's what was posted :confused: )

So, chances are decent that your score would either improve or stay the same.
Good luck!

Medikit said:
I would be concerned that he might do worse. Although I believe there are a lot of questions separating a 7 and an 8 (compared to a 10 and 11).

first off...thank you guys sooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Scoring lower than an 8 was a concern of mine bc my verbal scores have been all over the place ...few in the 5-6 lots in the 5-7 and few 9 and 10s

If its not asking too much ...could yall take a look at the schools im applying to. Thanks again

Albany Medical College (Regular M.D.)
120 Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
116 Creighton University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
833 Drexel University College of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
818 Eastern Virginia Medical School (Regular M.D.)
121 Emory University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
123 George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci (Regular M.D.)
139 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici (Regular M.D.)
803 Medical College of Ohio (Regular M.D.)
141 Medical College of Wisconsin (Regular M.D.)
832 Mercer University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
196 Michigan State University (Regular M.D.)
151 New York Medical College (Regular M.D.)
198 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
110 Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien (Regular M.D.)
812 Rush Medical College (Regular M.D.)
164 Saint Louis University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
172 Temple University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
124 The Medical College of Georgia (Regular M.D.)
140 The University of Miami School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
179 The University of Vermont College of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
176 Tulane University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
182 Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin (Regular M.D.)
106 Wake Forest University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)
185 Wayne State University School of Medicine

I applied to a few of these.

Eastern Virginia Medical School Avg GPA:3.5 Avg MCAT:30
Emory University School of Medicine Avg GPA:3.7 Avg MCAT:32.1
George Washington University Sci Avg GPA:3.57 Avg MCAT: 29
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin Avg GPA:3.5 Avg MCAT: 29.6
Wake Forest University School of Medicine Avg GPA: 3.4 Avg MCAT: 30.1

I got these numbers from The US News rankings.

Out of these schools I only got an interview at Wake Forest (wait listed). It's a good school and if you're out of state, you have a decent shot.

I really don't know what kind of info you're looking for. If you want to know anything else, feel free to PM me.

I'd study my butt off and retake in August or next April. But that's just me. Look here to get an idea:
mdapplicants.com

I think you have a good shot of getting into Mercer. The avg stats there are pretty close to DO schools.

What is your state of residency? Some of those schools can probably be knocked off just by knowing that. For example, Mercer is GA residents only even though it is private. Although I see you also applied to MCG (another GA only school) so perhaps you are a GA resident. And upon 3rd review I see that you listed your state of residency in the first post, so just disregard this babble. I'm an idiot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, apply to Chicago Med and MCP Hanemann and Drexel, and drop the Michigan state schools.

I agree, drop the Mich schools....do you really want to be in detroit anyway?

Don't bother with the Michigan schools they are horrible for out of state applicants and Lansing is not an exciting area!

I think you have a very good shot at Medical College of Georgia...

In fact, I thought the average accepted student had a 3.6/27. Don't quote me on that though.... but one of their rep's came to my school and I thought it was crazy how a 3.6 = a 27.

Anyway, you're fine.

pratik7 said:
...but i just cant resist anymore. Im less than thrilled with my mcat score but am also hesisitant to retake (ill prob wont go up more than a point or two and the delay it will put in the process). To settle my paranoia and OCD, can yall tell me what you think I should do with the following:

State: GA
Mcat: 27 (10b,9p,8v)
GPA: 3.85; 3.8 science
Lots of EC, volunteer and research. I have also worked in the hospital as and anes and resp tech for a year and half. Great LOR

I am applying to about 25 schools lower tier schools. Im really interested in all of them soo im not really picky. You think I can get in SOMEWHERE??
retake mcat

Peterock said:
I think you have a very good shot at Medical College of Georgia...

In fact, I thought the average accepted student had a 3.6/27. Don't quote me on that though.... but one of their rep's came to my school and I thought it was crazy how a 3.6 = a 27.

Anyway, you're fine.

Higher than that, I think just barely under 29.

I think a lot of the schools you're applying to look at the best of all your MCAT scores (like, if you scored an 11 the first time and then a 10 the second time, they might look at the first 11 because it shows you have the ABILITY to score that high). If you're going to retake the MCAT in August, I would study my ass off for the verbal section in particular (practice tests are really the only thing that can help you here) and maybe slack a bit on the other sections. Good luck :luck:

Unless u r 1 urm applicant:

Drop Rush (very little chance for out of state applicant) or replace her with U of Illinois. Make sure that U of Miami accepts out of state applicants, most likely not so.

Keep Michigan State.

Add U of Iowa, Ohio State, U of Cincinnati. Very good schools, good chances, save a lot of $ if accepted.

Finally, add a DO school especially PCOM. A very good chance to be accepted early with only $250 deposit. Very in expensive for the peace of mind and subsequent interview selection strategy at allo schools. Or pick another one or two DO schools of your choice. $2000 deposit to save your seat though.

Apply to medical schools now. Get you LORs ready. You will get all the secondaries. Try to complete and return each of them within 2 weeks. Then retake the MCAT. Relax and concentrate mainly on test practicing. Do it as if you don't really need it. Don't study too hard for the retake. With your stat as is, you probably need only to get older to get in somewhere. Go get them, Doctor Pratik. :thumbup:

my roomates got into miami (3.76, 29) and tufts (3.7, 27) respectively...both are CA residents, and the miami one is waitlisted at ucla too...maybe you can add a few reaches

nomo15 said:
my roomates got into miami (3.76, 29) and tufts (3.7, 27) respectively...both are CA residents, and the miami one is waitlisted at ucla too...maybe you can add a few reaches

Hey, this is the info that I have been looking for. The one that got into Tuft with 3.7/27, does he have a lot of researches or other EC's? Is he traditional? What does his WS look like?

I left Boston U, Tuft, NYMC and Georgetown out because they were expensive and Pratik might not need those rip-offing sweepstakes, especially if he has some confident in the MCAT retake. The fact is that he should apply to as many schools as he can. It does worth the investment.

I know a guy that got into Tufts with a 3.5 and a MCAT score of 25. I think he took the MCAT again and got even lower (24?)......he didn't have a lot of ECs either.

I would apply with those numbers. You have a very nice GPA. Just give em an excuse for the MCAT (sick, nervous, didn't study enough). You better hope that you have medically related experiences to back yourself up though and write a sweet PS. Also, don't read mdapplicants.com. You will only waste your time and it seems to me that those numbers are bogus. Everyone has a <35 MCAT and <3.7 GPA. Impossible. Good luck :luck:

calcrew14 said:
Unless u r 1 urm applicant:

Drop Rush (very little chance for out of state applicant) or replace her with U of Illinois. Make sure that U of Miami accepts out of state applicants, most likely not so.

Keep Michigan State.

Add U of Iowa, Ohio State, U of Cincinnati. Very good schools, good chances, save a lot of $ if accepted.

Finally, add a DO school especially PCOM. A very good chance to be accepted early with only $250 deposit. Very in expensive for the peace of mind and subsequent interview selection strategy at allo schools. Or pick another one or two DO schools of your choice. $2000 deposit to save your seat though.

Apply to medical schools now. Get you LORs ready. You will get all the secondaries. Try to complete and return each of them within 2 weeks. Then retake the MCAT. Relax and concentrate mainly on test practicing. Do it as if you don't really need it. Don't study too hard for the retake. With your stat as is, you probably need only to get older to get in somewhere. Go get them, Doctor Pratik. :thumbup:

UMiami does accept out of state and are vying to increase enrollment. They do have a cutoff for out of state and the OP makes the cut.

It suprises me how many people are scared to take the MCAT again. Most of the people I know in med school took it 2-3 times. Hardly anyone I know took it once. Sack up and take it in August and then you won't have to spend the next year worrying. In my mind, 2 months of studying over the summer is a lot better than spending the entire year worrying about whether you'll get in...and then if you don't (and its no guarantee with your numbers) you'll have to take it again anyway.

what's wrong with michigan/detroit. we have some of the best trained doctors in the US. don't hate on what someone else is doing just get your junk together!! :rolleyes: you think that you live someone where violence is nonexistence? think again it's everywhere!! :scared:

I'd say go for it. I personally know a guy who got into two schools (MD) with 27 and 3.7 He's Asian. Considering your numbers are all above 7, you do have shots. With only 2 months left, I don't know if you can improve your score very much. It depends on how hard you prepared for your April MCAT. Unless you are certain that you can improve your score by at least 3, apply now. Applying early is very important.

Indebt4Life said:
UMiami does accept out of state and are vying to increase enrollment. They do have a cutoff for out of state and the OP makes the cut.

What does "OP" stand for? I know its not outpatient!

Sorry!

-tx

txguy said:
What does "OP" stand for? I know its not outpatient!

Sorry!

-tx

Original Poster. (Woohoo, one post closer to access to the Everyone forum.) +pad+

thanks for yalls help

also a shameless bump