I lost my personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously...I was organizing some files and moving some things around on my computer and now my personal statement is gone! :eek:

Thankfully it was so personal that it wont be hard to re-write it from memory but I will always be wondering if the first draft was better.

I'm going to sue ACER (my computer brand) if I don't get in...its obviously their fault

Members don't see this ad.

AHAHAHAHAHAAH. I would love to sue Dell for being so crashing on me constantly!

Seriously...I was organizing some files and moving some things around on my computer and now my personal statement is gone! :eek:

Thankfully it was so personal that it wont be hard to re-write it from memory but I will always be wondering if the first draft was better.

I'm going to sue ACER (my computer brand) if I don't get in...its obviously their fault

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe a fellow pre med is stalking you. Broke in. Stole you PS. And now is applying as you!

if you're worried about your hard drive crashing or something, you can always email it to yourself to put it on an external server. Always a nice backup for small files like these.

that's why i bought a memory stick just for my med school stuff

definitely save it in more than one place..i emailed it to myself[gmail has so much space], saved it on a memory stick, and saved it on the harddrive.

Thats why I use docs.google.com. I use it for keeping my ps, my activities descriptions and my spreadsheets with school information. This way I can access the information i need from anywhere.

Forget about saving files in more than one place...that would be a nightmare to keep up with (due to having different versions). What every computer user on the face of the planet needs is a good backup system. Personally I use an external hard drive that backs everything up once a week (which is plenty for me). I simply find it unfathomable that some people go around with every digital file they have stored on one computer, on one hard drive. Especially in the age of digital photography; I couldn't live with myself if I lost everything. The fact is that hard drives DO go bad, lightning strikes, computers get stolen, and even advanced PC users make errors (I once deleted the wrong partition whilst installing Windows on a second internal hard drive- I erased everything with just a few keystrokes). Backing up to DVDs is bad because it requires effort on your part- you can't automate it, which means the second you get lazy you'll be unprotected. Online backup services are a good solution, but with that memory is a problem- you usually pay by the GB, and so even if you could find a way to automate your backing up it encourages you to only backup only what is absolutely necessary (and you're bound to miss something important). External hard drives are really cheap if you find one with a rebate, and internal drives are even cheaper....it's well worth $50-100 to protect your digital life!

Load Google Desktop if you don't have it. If you can remember a few words, you can google those word (make sure you press desktop), then the temporary files should appear. It should give you all of the versions that you worked on. Try it and let us know what came up.

Load Google Desktop if you don't have it. If you can remember a few words, you can google those word (make sure you press desktop), then the temporary files should appear. It should give you all of the versions that you worked on. Try it and let us know what came up.

another option is to go to Word, hit open, and on the left side of the popup window, hit "recent docs" or "recent" (whichever it says) and u should pull up a history of the docs used on Word & open them from there.

my computer didn't crash...the document just disappeared.

but all the suggestions are still appreciated

Two words: BACK UP !!! Buy an external hard drive / jump drive

Personally, for written documents, I like to email them to myself...a Gmail account is great for this..and that way you can access your file anywhere. This helps a lot esp. when I have to work in the school computer labs...

Redundancy = beaaaautiful thing.

/me huggles his nightly backup-to-separate-disk script while continuing to think of going with some NAS to round things out.

(Sorry for your loss, though. That's no fun...)

Personally, for written documents, I like to email them to myself...a Gmail account is great for this..and that way you can access your file anywhere. This helps a lot esp. when I have to work in the school computer labs...

that's what i always do; I've had so many different versions; but it was good to be able to access it anywhere.

You know guys, there are a lot of different free online storage services which allow for autoback up. Even at 1-2gb free, thats a crap ton of documents.