I matched at...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeDocteur

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UTSW in Dallas. First choice, extremely happy.

Hopefully this thread won't turn into a litany of the evils of psychiatry....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No state income tax during residency. Cornydogs at the Texas state fair. No restrictions on 30 round magazines.

What's not to like?

Members don't see this ad :)
WashU and Stoked!!

No state income tax during residency. Cornydogs at the Texas state fair. No restrictions on 30 round magazines.

What's not to like?

+100 for the 30 round magazines.........it would see as though the pending nomination for surgeon general......Dr. Vivek Murthy is having trouble getting votes......probably because he is a leftist gun grabber...

+100 for the 30 round magazines.........it would see as though the pending nomination for surgeon general......Dr. Vivek Murthy is having trouble getting votes......probably because he is a leftist gun grabber...

Dr. Vivek Murthy wouldn't even qualify to be a chair a department yet he is the POTUS nominee for surgeon general. He is an instructor level physician. What a laughingstock.

Thanks-- I was hoping more applicants would chime in but oh well.

I ranked UTSW first for a large variety of professional and personal reasons. I knew what I wanted in a program:
1) a large, tertiary academic facility with broad specimen variety and multiple practice settings including a University Hospital, a county hospital, and a VA;
2) an attached children's hospital, preferably with an in-house pediatric path fellowship; (UT has 11 pedi path faculty and a good fellowship)
3) a hospital with a robust cardiac surgical program with cardiac transplantation and, ideally, a high volumen of medical & surgical congenital cardiac cases;
4) the ability to pursue AP-only training- ideally the 2+1+1 pathway I was talking about earlier;
5) excellent research opportunities within the residency curriculum as well as the larger institution.

Since this isn't my first time at the rodeo (TEXAS METAPHOR), I also was looking very closely at PDs and department chairs. I think it's hard as a med student to appreciate exactly how important they are. I could tell how much my new PD loves running his program; he puts a lot of effort into the recruitment process. I had a great rapport with him and it doesn't hurt that he's the only program director in the country who's also a pediatric pathologist.

And the personal reasons-- we've literally just made an offer on a house which is to the dollar half as much as our LA house cost. My kids' childcare will be about 60% of the insane amount I was previously paying. No state income tax. Tort reform. Great jobs for my spouse. Public schools you could actually consider using.

Pretty stoked.

Reactions: 2 users

What's not to like?
Im not sure there are tax considerations when you are making 40K/yr especially when you consider all credits you qualify for.

The 30rd magazine point is a good one although I would hope everyone already has their 15-20x 30rd 5.56 or 7.62x49 loaded and stored up.

The cornydogs I cannot comment on.

Grats all who matched.

Yes, 30 round magazines are critical, we all know that. What I want to know is, will the lefty-commie-pinkos in TX let me park my restored Sherman on the street in front of my house? I was also thinking about a smaller APC for personal protection. But that one can fit in my shed out back.

Yes, 30 round magazines are critical, we all know that. What I want to know is, will the lefty-commie-pinkos in TX let me park my restored Sherman on the street in front of my house? I was also thinking about a smaller APC for personal protection. But that one can fit in my shed out back.
Not in my HOA. It has to be in your driveway or in the garage.